Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

Hi - Just wondering how New York has changed thru the years, i.e. the area of Brooklyn where Archie Bunker lived (yes I know he was a character from a tv show, but has that area changed?)

The areas of the Bronx where movies like Saturday Night Fever and some of those 1970's movies portrayed New York, like the movie West Side Story.

Some other interesting movie areas - Spanish Harlem, or Harlem in general, Bedford Stuyvesent, etc.

I'm intersted because I enjoy seeing how cities changed thru the years. And watching various shows on TV like Selling New York have made me very interested. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - Just wondering how New York has changed thru the years, i.e. the area of Brooklyn where Archie Bunker lived (yes I know he was a character from a tv show, but has that area changed?)

The areas of the Bronx where movies like Saturday Night Fever and some of those 1970's movies portrayed New York, like the movie West Side Story.

Some other interesting movie areas - Spanish Harlem, or Harlem in general, Bedford Stuyvesent, etc.

I'm intersted because I enjoy seeing how cities changed thru the years. And watching various shows on TV like Selling New York have made me very interested. Thanks!
"All in the Family" was based in Flushing Queens. The area wasn't really that bad then, but it has changed. At one point a sizeable number of blacks and hispanics were living there in the 80's and 90's but today Asians dominate the area, mostly Chinese and Korean. Its known as the second and largest Chinatown in NYC.

West Side Story was based on the area around Lincoln Center back in the early 60's. Those buildings don't exist anymore, its now Lincoln Center. Bed Stuy, Harlem and Spanish Harlem got worse in the 80's with Reagonomics and the Crack era. But in the last 10 years all those areas have improved, Harlem especially, though many people can no longer afford the rents in these neighborhoods. NY is almost the antithesis that it was in the 70's.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Hi - thankx! I'd be glad to hear from everyone about it. Amazing that one neighborhood turns totally different. I live in Chicago and its amazing for me to visit different areas of the city that have completely changed. Places I was too scared to go thru when i was little, are now totally gentified. A shame though that "Old Town" which was totally hippieville (akin to maybe Soho?) is now a sterillized strip mall with no flavor .. so I like to hear about other places. With all the TV shows on HG TV that feature NYC, I'm really aching to visit NYC one day.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default Saturday Night Fever

took place in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, area is still good.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:31 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
took place in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, area is still good.

Bay Ridge is a lot more diverse than it was in those days, now. Substantial Chinese and Arab populations, a lot fewer Italians and Irish.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM

332 posts, read 613,499 times
Actually All in the Family was based in Astoria not Flushing. Astoria was a great area back then and still is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
"All in the Family" was based in Flushing Queens. The area wasn't really that bad then, but it has changed. At one point a sizeable number of blacks and hispanics were living there in the 80's and 90's but today Asians dominate the area, mostly Chinese and Korean. Its known as the second and largest Chinatown in NYC.

West Side Story was based on the area around Lincoln Center back in the early 60's. Those buildings don't exist anymore, its now Lincoln Center. Bed Stuy, Harlem and Spanish Harlem got worse in the 80's with Reagonomics and the Crack era. But in the last 10 years all those areas have improved, Harlem especially, though many people can no longer afford the rents in these neighborhoods. NY is almost the antithesis that it was in the 70's.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
Apparently I am not the only person with waaaay to much time on his hands.
Where Did Archie Bunker Live?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Archie Bunker lived on Hauser Street--which is a fictitious name. The actual neighborhood wasn't specified, but I believe it was supposed to be Glendale.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Archie Bunker lived on Hauser Street--which is a fictitious name. The actual neighborhood wasn't specified, but I believe it was supposed to be Glendale.

I just remember an episode where they pulled out his old high school varsity jacket and it had a big "F" on it and Michael says " was this for his grades?" and his wife says "No its for Flushing High." Could've been anywhere in Northern Queens though.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
"All in the Family" was based in Flushing Queens. The area wasn't really that bad then, but it has changed. At one point a sizeable number of blacks and hispanics were living there in the 80's and 90's but today Asians dominate the area, mostly Chinese and Korean. Its known as the second and largest Chinatown in NYC..
That's not right. Archie was a teen in Flushing. I think he went to Flushing HS. The house and neighborhoods were Glendale, Middle Village, Rego Park. That is still the only part of Archie Bunker land left in Queens, If they did a remake or the next generation they would have to go to Nassau or Staten Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City