Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,957 times

Advertisements

Compared to Washington, D.C. Was NYC just as bad, maybe worse? I know it was bad I pretty much lived through it and I saw it whenever I went there because I lived right across the river in jersey. Was NYC unmatched in terms of crime during these days in your opinion? Would gun control and stop and frisk have worked back then? Do you think NYC was more interesting and original back then?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Street mugging were a big problem back then. But NYC is just as interesting and original now not to mention safer.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
I thought the Troll had died.

This guy's SHALLOW *gawking* fascination with NYC in the 70s is irritating!

Another ridiculously general and vague questionS covering TWENTY FIVE years, of which most forum members were not alive, or were too young to be cognizant.

DC?? How would I know? Was I THERE???

You're from JERSEY, then what of Newark and Jersey City? Weren't you THERE!!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,850 times
Why would anyone be able to compare NYC and DC for you?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM

398 posts, read 1,392,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Street mugging were a big problem back then. But NYC is just as interesting and original now not to mention safer.
It seems so different. I haven't been there in 2 years or so. New York is always interesting in its own ways.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
considering the depth and quality of your research, I predict your book is going to be a best seller!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
All i know is that growing up in the late 70s and 80s i don't remember seeing many white transplant types. Then after Gulianni cleaned the city up in the late 90s, they started to flood in. Its ironic that a lot of these skinny pants pansies complain that the city has lost its edge, but if it was still edgy and crime ridden, their daddy would not finance them to live here.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM

338 posts, read 677,389 times
Oh my God, ANOTHER crime question??

Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
All i know is that growing up in the late 70s and 80s i don't remember seeing many white transplant types. Then after Gulianni cleaned the city up in the late 90s, they started to flood in. Its ironic that a lot of these skinny pants pansies complain that the city has lost its edge, but if it was still edgy and crime ridden, their daddy would not finance them to live here.
Too true.

The only ones who seem obsessed with wondering how it was here in the 70's and 80s when crime was bad are mainly the transplants. You always hear them saying "Oh how I wish I was living in NYC when it was crime filled and gritty". Umm, no you don't considering how fast they cry now when their iProducts are stolen.

And for the love of all that is good and holy, when are you going to quit your obsession with murders and crime on these forums? Seriously, get some help or something.

PS You want to know why crime went down? Go watch Freakonomics for an interesting answer.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Too true.

The only ones who seem obsessed with wondering how it was here in the 70's and 80s when crime was bad are mainly the transplants. You always hear them saying "Oh how I wish I was living in NYC when it was crime filled and gritty". Umm, no you don't considering how fast they cry now when their iProducts are stolen.

And for the love of all that is good and holy, when are you going to quit your obsession with murders and crime on these forums? Seriously, get some help or something.

PS You want to know why crime went down? Go watch Freakonomics for an interesting answer.
No Slayer RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \m/

Anyway, They were the same. DC was nicknamed murder capital. Irony is DC is our head quarters no?
NYC had crime, but the real problem were the crackheads flooding the treets

Mainly though NYC, is home to white collar crime. So look up LBO's and money laundering if you want to know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City