Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its a Shame there was not a fight put up by Bloomberg on the massive teacher layoff
Bloomberg WANTS to lay off teachers so he can push his ideas of HOW they should be fired.It's all about him and his trying to prove his points.Collateral damage( in this case kids educations) mean nothing to him.He wants this battle more than anything and that's why he hired a lackey like Black to be the Chancellor.

He had to hire someone who knows nothing at all about education and who would agree with whatever he says because any educator(or empathetic human being for that matter) who really cares about the school kids and about education knows that the worst thing that can possibly happen to the NYC schools right now is to lay off more teachers so that the average class size goes even higher than it is.The system has already lost more than 10,000 teachers in the last 2 years due to attrition.Class sizes have gone from the mid 20's to the mid 30's in many schools and many will go over 40 per class if there are additional layoffs on top of the 5,000 or so that will retire this year and not be replaced because of the hiring freeze.It will move the system from being one in which it is extremely difficult to teach anything to one in which it will be impossible to teach anything .He doesn't care.

NYC's income tax revenue will be up dramatically over last year and there are projections that the city's total revenues will be up by 2 BILLION over last year.Many,including the Governor are saying that teacher layoffs aren't even necessary.Bloomberg is using the situation to push his agenda without regard to the consequences.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-17-2011 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am surprised to hear that you cried not to go to Catholic school. I cried to stay in Catholic School. The biggest threat to get good grades was to take me out of Catholic School and throw me to the "animals" (public schools).

I wonder how many people under 40 on these threads are a product of the NYC public school system. I get shivers when I wonder what would have become of me had I attended public schools in Mott Haven and the Bronx in the 80s and 90s...
Not going to Catholic school was one of the main factors that made me an Athiest today! I had to reject my Catholic up bringing! Besides I dont like paying school fees when the guy at the top in Rome collects all the money at the end of the day. I do get what you mean though. I was one of the lucky few who survived the public school system in Mott Haven. After elementary I went to I.S 162 which borders melrose and Mott Haven. After that I went to High School in Coop City. Most people who I went to school with In all Elementary, Junior and High School did not live good lives, some of them died, either on the streets, accidents and even nobely for thier country in Iraq and Afghanistan. Others served in prison and many others are restarting the cycle all over again of broken families, poverty and government assitance. I went to public school survived and college after. I even came across some of my former teachers in Mott Haven and they are proud of my academic accomplishments. And they are also proud I did not give into local deviances such as, having a family early or going to prison which doesnt not improve situations in improvished communities. I wish thier was something I can do but that would require philosophic change of everyones political and rational mindset , but people fight to keep current the system in place.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-17-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
our city is really getting less and less appealing.

cant wait to retirement, cause, I am so outta here.........

desert weather here I come.....

Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
our city is really getting less and less appealing.

cant wait to retirement, cause, I am so outta here.........

desert weather here I come.....
Don't blame you.I'm thinking about taking a teaching position on LI and I never thought I'd think seriously about that.Really,classes of 40 teenagers in the S Bronx might just be too much for me.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't blame you.I'm thinking about taking a teaching position on LI and I never thought I'd think seriously about that.Really,classes of 40 teenagers in the S Bronx might just be too much for me.

so not the look yikes !!

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
I agree with you Blue0dog2. There is no fight put up by the mayor to save the teachers, schools etc..

And Sobro, seems like you are out of your remedial classes, for the record speaking the truth about Bloombergs policies is not anti-Bloomberg, just facts

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Wait, I thought the Mayor was not into firing the "Last Hired, First Fired" law.

I actually agree with this, there are so many teachers that have been in the system for EONS, and won't adhere to the new ways of teaching.

I believe the younger generation of teachers is what these kids need.

I don't blame Bloomberg, I'm blaming PATTERSON & our new governor CUOMO for this problem.

NYC public schools have never received the monies they were appropriated.

NYS schools are the priority and we get what's left, especially when the monies aren't apppropriated for NYS but they seem to get it anyway.

This is what the mayor is fighting for and lo and behold the UFT President doesn't agree. He wants to keep the "Last Hired & First Fired" law in affect.

Why?

46,000 teachers or something like that will lose their jobs, so who will be in the classroom teaching.

NYC kids are constantly been getting the short end of the stick when it comes to funding and I wonder why is that.

Cuomo's kids are in PRIVATE SCHOOL but folks elected him into office.

Remember the city gets it's money from the STATE and the fools running the state is giving NYC it's azz to kiss.

This is one reason why I'm agreeing with Bloomberg.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You might be thinking for a long time. Many LI districts are going to be laying off teachers. Many teachers and administrators on LI get their jobs through nepotism. It's not what you know, it's who you know or who you are related to. For the remaining jobs available, thousands of resumes pour in for one position.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Wait, I thought the Mayor was not into firing the "Last Hired, First Fired" law.

I actually agree with this, there are so many teachers that have been in the system for EONS, and won't adhere to the new ways of teaching.

I believe the younger generation of teachers is what these kids need.

I don't blame Bloomberg, I'm blaming PATTERSON & our new governor CUOMO for this problem.

NYC public schools have never received the monies they were appropriated.

NYS schools are the priority and we get what's left, especially when the monies aren't apppropriated for NYS but they seem to get it anyway.

This is what the mayor is fighting for and lo and behold the UFT President doesn't agree. He wants to keep the "Last Hired & First Fired" law in affect.

Why?

46,000 teachers or something like that will lose their jobs, so who will be in the classroom teaching.

NYC kids are constantly been getting the short end of the stick when it comes to funding and I wonder why is that.

Cuomo's kids are in PRIVATE SCHOOL but folks elected him into office.

Remember the city gets it's money from the STATE and the fools running the state is giving NYC it's azz to kiss.

This is one reason why I'm agreeing with Bloomberg.
Actually,I also agree that there should be a change in the "last in first fired policy".My objection is not to his stance on that issue.My objection is proposing to lay off any teachers at all at this point given the disastrous overcrowding in the schools.

The debate about the last in first fired policy is a separate issue and the mayor should find another way to advance the debate about it that will not affect classrooms.

That's what I find so objectionable about Bloomberg... not necessarily his positions but the fact that he manufactures crises or takes advantage of crises to build a soap box for issues that should be dealt with separately.

The mayor's response should be that the laying off of so many teachers is totally unacceptable and will not happen.Instead he uses the children of NYC as a bargaining tool in his negotiations with the governor or the union.It is unconscionable to approach it this way.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
When Bloomberg threatened layoffs last year, I freaked out. But he can only cry wolf so many times. Such ridiculous political grandstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City