Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
In the 2009 fiscal year, property taxes in New York City were about $14.4 billion, or about 41 percent of all city taxes. Based on a $4 billion deficit in 2012, annual property taxes would need to increase about 28% to cover the shortfall.
Since the property taxes on half million dollar house/condo in NYC is usually under $5,000 yr while the taxes on a half million dollar house or condo in most of Westchester,LI or NJ is over $10,000/yr (sometimes closer to 20,000 Yr) I guess a 28% increase would be a deal.

The taxes on Co Ops by the way is ridiculously,ridiculously low.Co op buildings in the city( I own one) should be assessed according to sales of units in the building rather than "as if rental buildings". My Co op building is assessed at around 2 Million but it has 120 apartments that are worth(regularly sell) for 200,000/ea .If the building were assessed at full value it would be over 20 million instead of 2 million.I mean how can a building with 120 200,000 units be worth only 2M ?As a result of this crazy code I pay like 987/yr in property tax.Guess that's why it's said that the vast majority of Wall Street people prefer CO OPs over condos.

I think a total revamping of the code and increase in property taxes is in order before any service cuts.The NYC property tax code is the other half of the problem that must be addressed with equal urgency.It's just not realistic the way it is.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-31-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't support any further increases to anything. The answer isn't to keep feeding the pig, because it will never be satiated and always demand more, which is the problem we are in. You cannot solve the problems (waste, abuses, and fraud) by just adding more money to mask the waste/abuse/fraud and keep it going...that "solution" is what is bankrupting the state and city and brought us to this point. Andrew Cuomo and his article got it right:

Governor Cuomo claims to have found new 'secret' budget flaw that increased spending - NYPOST.com

We need to FIX the problem, the entire system, and not just say "let's just raise taxes and/or cut service." The underlying problems are still there and not addressed, and we will be back in this position, only much worse, in no time flat.

Grant you have it right.

Please describe where you see waste abuse & fraud__________________

Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
How someone can ask that question is beyond me. Educate yourself, I am not the one.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times
You bought it up not me. If your too ignorant Sobro to describe what you wrote than you should go back to school or don't talk about things you don't know.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
This is why your coop taxes are so low, bluedog.

The city treats coops and condos for assessment purposes as if they were rental housing. According to the city's January 2009 list of market values and assessments for coops and condos, the 375,797 coops in the city have an average market value of $105,000. In Manhattan, coops have an average market value of $172,759 and 152,680 condos an average market value of $120,981. These citywide and Manhattan values have no relationship to the real world -- even during a recession. To take only one example, an April 2, 2009 report in the New York Times noted that even with a 20.9 percent decline from a year ago, existing coops and condos in Manhattan were selling at an average of $732,000 per apartment, with new ones going for a much higher price, in the first quarter of calendar 2009.

"I think a total revamping of the code and increase in property taxes is in order before any service cuts." bluedog2

If things were fair, your apartment's property tax would rise 12x (building valued at $2,000,000 but worth $24,000,000) to around $12,000 a year from $1000 by your own valuation in your post above, even without considering an increase due to budget deficits.

Are you still in favor of property tax increases and a revaming of the code"?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-31-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I would gladly support an increase in real property taxes in NYC rather than further cuts to services. They ( NYC real estate taxes)are ridiculously low right now compared to all other municipalities in the region.
Forget it.

Why don't you and all of the other public union members mention that while the real estate taxes are relatively low - only because they are so insanely high in surrounding NY state counties - the income taxes and other broadly-based fees (er, taxes but we cannot call them that ) are so much higher?

NYC/S need to first look at how many thousands of people are working at 110 Livingston Street, and fire huge numbers of them. Along with large numbers of the over-300,000 plus public workers currently working for the city.

Second, the seniority rules MUST be eliminated, so that teachers are retained on MERIT.

Third, there are 120,000 less students in 2011 in the NYC school system than there were a few years back, so using this as an opportunity to weed out weaker performers would be ideal.

Fourth, if the city lays off large numbers of new teachers, good luck recruiting new ones in the future. What young person with half of a brain would willingly agree to come work as a teacher when they know they are likely to be canned the next time there is economic trouble?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
"All American" I believe this thread and others on here dating back several years have provided substantial information about the waste/corruption/fraud, and the information is also readily available on every newspaper site and blog. So please educate yourself about it and don't waste everyone's time on here.

As for the specific topic, Bluedog I can tell you that I know several teachers in Westchester County and they could careless about the economic reality and deficit, they want what they "deserve" and if everyone needs to be taxed to infinity so that they are not inconvenienced, then so be it. I know that this is not your assertion or belief, but there is this attitude, and that is causing the backlash that we see.

I don't want any teachers laid off (except the bad ones!), but I don't see raising taxes, whether it be property taxes or sales tax, as the solution, as it doesn't solve the problem. Yes we need to fix the assessments, but the underlying problem is still not addressed. You are simply throwing more money at it and masking the problem...and it keeps growing and growing.

Sepretron's last statement is probably another reason why Bloomberg does not want this layoff to exclusively effect all new hires. Nobody will ever sign on as a teacher again!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Forget it.

Why don't you and all of the other public union members .......
What's wrong with you ?Why are your posts so nasty and aggressive ? Why do all of your posts seem to contain some element of personal denigration ?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
What's wrong with you ?Why are your posts so nasty and aggressive ? Why do all of your posts seem to contain some element of personal denigration ?
You need to read the other thread on Public Union members, particularly the last 2 pages.

And when I read that someone who has something to gain from it suggest that I take food off of my family's table to pay for THEIR salary/perks, etc., it pisses me off.

How does someone on a teacher's salary manage to purchase a $2 MM building? Inheritance?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
You need to read the other thread on Public Union members, particularly the last 2 pages.

And when I read that someone who has something to gain from it suggest that I take food off of my family's table to pay for THEIR salary/perks, etc., it pisses me off.

How does someone on a teacher's salary manage to purchase a $2 MM building? Inheritance?
Well,don't take your arguments with other posters on other threads and jump on everyone because you are not happy.

Do you think teachers should get paid nothing ? If there are going to be public schools (and other public services) ,your( and my) taxes are going to pay for the salaries.Sorry if it pisses you off but the abandonment of public education and other essential services is the only way we are not going to pay for it.Did you go to a public school ? Who paid for that ?

I don't own a building.I own an apartment in a building that is assessed at 2M by the city but is actually worth over 20 M in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City