Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Agreed. Wal Mart is a evil corporation that wants to kill as much little businesses as possible, and benefit themselves. It's just another way of how corporate America wants to destroy as much of the old America as possible.
The exact same thing was said about A&P in the 1920's. It's called capitalism, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
After living in various parts of FL for a decade I can say that I saw this pattern replicate itself time and again in different towns. There's a reason Wal-Mart why expansive suburban areas have a Wal-Mart culture and large urban centers don't. Large dense urban areas tend to already have an established business community and a certain "ecology" that allows money to circulate locally. Suburban areas that experienced rapid growth in the last 20 years don't have that type of setting, plus they're car oriented so a one stop shop Wal-mart is ideal for them.

I could go on and on like I did in another thread about the cons of Wal-Mart, I could even state facts and figures to prove how counterproductive they are for cities in the long term. But that won't change anyone's mind, especially since the downsides really show in the long term. Even then people will probably attribute it to some other factor.
Pretty much. Walmart is a car culture/suburban type of store. NYC and wal-mart are like oil and water

Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Pretty much. Walmart is a car culture/suburban type of store. NYC and wal-mart are like oil and water
ahhh i dunno yo if there was a wal-mart around the way i would go to it and i guarantee a lot of others would too. i go to the one in garden city LI on the weekends cus i can save money on my groceries

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
KONY the same can be said for BJ's and COSTCO where you can only buy in bulk = car. Yet they are popping up all over the city..so why can't wal-mart? We have had Kmart for decades, which is similar to Wal-Mart...

Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
It's all because they are Non-Union!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
IlonaG..that's the only reason why they are not currently in NYC. It is not about cheap products, it is not about the mom and pops, and it's not about low wages, it IS about Union extortion....and as soon as Wal-Mart says yes we will allow Union labor, all barriers will disappear and the red carpet will be rolled out.

In fact, Wal-Mart agreed to allow the Building/Trade Union to build their first store..and what happened? They were originally against Wal-mart opening along with every other Union..but now they are welcoming them with open arms and are fighting against the other unions to allow them to open!

So let's not fool ourselves, it is about yielding to the demands of Union extortion and nothing more. And the saddest thing is this: NYC needs Wal-mart more than Wal-Mart needs NYC.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
IlonaG..that's the only reason why they are not currently in NYC. It is not about cheap products, it is not about the mom and pops, and it's not about low wages, it IS about Union extortion....and as soon as Wal-Mart says yes we will allow Union labor, all barriers will disappear and the red carpet will be rolled out.

In fact, Wal-Mart agreed to allow the Building/Trade Union to build their first store..and what happened? They were originally against Wal-mart opening along with every other Union..but now they are welcoming them with open arms and are fighting against the other unions to allow them to open!

So let's not fool ourselves, it is about yielding to the demands of Union extortion and nothing more. And the saddest thing is this: NYC needs Wal-mart more than Wal-Mart needs NYC.
I think that unions are needed especially in the private sector. Having Walmart allow it to be built by union labor builders isn't good enough, it needs to have union workers who actually work in the store once it is built. It is much more than just building the building, what happens to the workers who work at the store counts much more! Since Walmart doesn't allow that, that is why it is good that the NYC government will try to stop Walmart from entering in amongst a host of other problems that Walmart will bring. I hope either a mom and pop store or a good chain like Shop Rite which has a much better history will open up in place of where Walmart is looking to prevent it from coming in.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM

82 posts, read 175,669 times
I could picture wal mart being successful in nyc. I think one is enough.
It needs to be in a big area, because the parking situation is a huge problem.
It's really not that serious.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think that unions are needed especially in the private sector. Having Walmart allow it to be built by union labor builders isn't good enough, it needs to have union workers who actually work in the store once it is built.
Yeah, like those mom and pop stores and bodegas that hire undocumented workers are unionized.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
NY has EVERYTHING....why not Walmart????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City