Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Wal-Mart = low prices = good for consumers.
They must come in NYC, this city is wonderful but too expensive for middle-class workers
Read my earlier post about the unemployment Wal-Mart creates, then tell me again how wonderful they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Wal-mart sucks money out of communities, and they do it more efficiently than anyone else. I personally don't like their practices or business model, but why villafy them as if they are the root of all evil? The same elected officials who are pandering to the unions to keep wal-mart out are the same elected officials who do whatever they can to keep wall street here. So we are to believe wall st is angelic? They have the right business model? Their greed is ok? Sucking the world dry and cheating the world of wealth is ok?

Don't be fooled, the unions have no beef with wall st, and wall st is a gravy train for NYC, wal-mart won't be extorted by the unions, so as a result, the unions press the policitians to ban them. It has NOTHING to do with Wal-Mart's policies, and everything to do with Unions wanting to extort them....as soon as Wal-Mart says "we will use Union labor and pay Union demands" the unions and politicians will roll out the red carpet. Regular NYers won't benefit, but Unions and politicians will be bought and paid for.

As a result, I have a real problem with blocking wal-mart from the NYC market.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,998,032 times
Default union bashing- the polemical du jour.

Extort? How about the importance of a living wage for workers? This isin't the first time in history that that a ruling class has continually lowered wages, horded wealth then increased usury to the point of bankrupting the entire society. Read up about the Medici's in 14th century Florence.

Their constant pressure on lowering the wages of workers lead to the downfall of their entire society. The economy needs people to have money to spend money. Usury has made up the gap with home equity and credit cards but those sources of funds are drying up. No longer can the rich- like wal-mart- lower wages and expect people to have the money to consume. The whole house of cards is poised to fall. The unions play a valid role in society as a check on the ruling the class. Individuals like workers have little power when divided, they have strength when united. The greed of the ruling class when unchecked is an all encompassing monster that will not stop until the whole society is torn down. Unions provide that check on the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Wal-mart sucks money out of communities, and they do it more efficiently than anyone else. I personally don't like their practices or business model, but why villafy them as if they are the root of all evil? The same elected officials who are pandering to the unions to keep wal-mart out are the same elected officials who do whatever they can to keep wall street here. So we are to believe wall st is angelic? They have the right business model? Their greed is ok? Sucking the world dry and cheating the world of wealth is ok?

Don't be fooled, the unions have no beef with wall st, and wall st is a gravy train for NYC, wal-mart won't be extorted by the unions, so as a result, the unions press the policitians to ban them. It has NOTHING to do with Wal-Mart's policies, and everything to do with Unions wanting to extort them....as soon as Wal-Mart says "we will use Union labor and pay Union demands" the unions and politicians will roll out the red carpet. Regular NYers won't benefit, but Unions and politicians will be bought and paid for.

As a result, I have a real problem with blocking wal-mart from the NYC market.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 02-23-2011 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM

69 posts, read 156,264 times
In areas such as East New York/South Bronx this may do some good however it shouldn't be implemented anywhere else in the city.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Samyn we have a minimum wage which is the minimum level employers must pay. Why are we singling out Wal-Mart to pay some arbitrary "living wage" while everyone else can pay whatever they want? Why are we villafying Wal-Mart but allowing everyone else to not pay whatever "liveable wage" you are talking about? Otherwise they can't open in NYC? Target/BJs/Costco and other major retailers, along with every other business in NYC, do not have to meet the "livable wage" requirement that you are pushing..and yet here they are open and doing business...why is that? They answer: The agreed to union demands/extortion...and the living wage nonsense disappeared.

And that's the fundamental problem I have here. You want a livable wage for businesses, then ALL businesses should pay it, not the ones you feel should pay it. And the reason why wal-mart is denied access to the NYC market and other companies are not is ONLY because Unions cannot extort them. That's it...it's that simple..you either do what Unions say, or you cannot open. What kind of society is that? Freedom?

If you believe unions in NYC care about you or society, you are greatly mistaken. The construction union has already signed on and wants wal-mart to open...going against every other union. Why? Because Wal-mart agreed to their demands, which has NOTHING to do with you or me...they got "theirs" and that's all that matters so now the construction union is fighting the other unions. Funny how they flipped the script huh? Unions want to fatten their wallets and do what's in their best interes..that's it. And since it is not in the Unions best interest to have wal-mart open in NYC, regardless of what's in the best interest of NYers, they are spinning all sorts of rhetoric and lies to keep them out.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times
I must admit I enjoyed the pics in this thread, very much. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
I love Wal-mart, I cant wait for it to come. yay !!! If Home Depot, Costco, Lowes, Taregt cam be here why not Wal-mart....

I am soooo looking forward to it coming here to Brooklyn !!!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Please, no Walmarts.
Attached Thumbnails
Walmart might not come to New York... hopefully-imagesca1mxqe2.jpg   Walmart might not come to New York... hopefully-imagescabw671a.jpg  

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Try taking pictures of the NY shoppers in Jimmy Jazz, Kmart, and C-Town...then talk to me about Wal-mart.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Allright, put it on Coney Island then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City