Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Honestly comin from a brooklyn kid. The Bronx is a rough/bad borough period. The Bad areas over run the good ones, and even the good ones can be sketchy. Brooklyn you can have rough/bad areas like Crown Heights, East New York, Brownsville, Bushwick, East FlatBush etc, but then you've got really nice areas like Park Slope, bensonhurst, dyker heights.
So wait you trying to say Riverdale is bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
There are some good sections in the Bronx but the bad ones are overwhelming.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
There are some good sections in the Bronx but the bad ones are overwhelming.
To make it easier you guys should say the whole borough is bad.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Honestly comin from a brooklyn kid. The Bronx is a rough/bad borough period. The Bad areas over run the good ones, and even the good ones can be sketchy. Brooklyn you can have rough/bad areas like Crown Heights, East New York, Brownsville, Bushwick, East FlatBush etc, but then you've got really nice areas like Park Slope, bensonhurst, dyker heights.
Im a bronx kid born and raised. Brooklyn has alot of bad and rough areas, plus brooklyn is a bigger borough and more dense. You should be happy that hipsters and white transplants dont know thay areas such as brownsville, eny, bushwick, canarsie, crown heights, bedstuy, sunset park borough park ,red hook. You should be happy that therer version of brooklyn is everything west of prospect park but, the real brooklyn is east, south and north of prospect park. I grew up with discontent for brooklyn because I have family and family friends who were murdered in brooklyn. Even my mother had an epiphany of me getting killed in brooklyn. My mothers first husband was murdered in brooklyn he just came to america from guyana and he was only living in america for two months dude. The bronx has alot of nice areas too, riverdale, throgsneck, woodlawn, country club, pelham parkway, arthur avenue, parkchester, kingsbridge heights, norwood. Theres even decent areas in the south bronx that is not so bad.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-23-2011 at 04:29 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 AM

499 posts, read 794,071 times
What’s unfortunate is that the areas passerbies see from the highway, subway, or rail lines are usually the most derelict. Brooklyn and Queens do a decent job of hiding their junky areas to isolated pockets. It seems the opposite holds true in the Bronx. ]The borough looks pretty bad from I-95, the Bruckner, Metro North, Amtrak, the elevated trains, and almost all access points into Manhattan.

When Harlem fully gentrifies there’ll be a lot more interest in the S. Bronx neighborhoods. The waterfront will be redeveloped, there are lots of nice irreplaceable pre-war buildings that just need some tlc and the topography/ parks are big plusses. If NY continues to grow and remain attractive to immigrants and transplants, its inevitable there'll be a brighter future for the borough.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im a bronx kid born and raised. Brooklyn has alot of bad and rough areas, plus brooklyn is a bigger borough and more dense. You should be happy that hipsters and white transplants dont know thay areas such as brownsville, eny, bushwick, canarsie, crown heights, bedstuy, sunset park borough park ,red hook. You should be happy that therer version of brooklyn is everything west of prospect park but, the real brooklyn is east, south and north of prospect park. I grew up with discontent for brooklyn because I have family and family friends who were murdered in brooklyn. Even my mother had an epiphany of me getting killed in brooklyn. My mothers first husband was murdered in brooklyn he just came to america from guyana and he was only living in america for two months dude. The bronx has alot of nice areas too, riverdale, throgsneck, woodlawn, country club, pelham parkway, arthur avenue, parkchester, kingsbridge heights, norwood. Theres even decent areas in the south bronx that is not so bad.
my moms grow up in the projects over throgsneck. all shes has is horrible memories of the BX, and so do i, and yes i do agree BK does have alot of crime and hood areas, but the BX is on like awhole different level of grimy. I mean i can't tell you how many times i always keep hearing my aunt and uncle of live in Co-OP city saying there are parts of the BX that have no laws, because of how bad it is.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
i came here to say S.I.

that is all

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
my moms grow up in the projects over throgsneck. all shes has is horrible memories of the BX, and so do i, and yes i do agree BK does have alot of crime and hood areas, but the BX is on like awhole different level of grimy. I mean i can't tell you how many times i always keep hearing my aunt and uncle of live in Co-OP city saying there are parts of the BX that have no laws, because of how bad it is.

Parts of the Bronx that have no laws, same could be said for Brooklyn to my dude. Some years back I was walking down Tilden and Church avenue some West Indians cats are trailing me saying yo lets follow this Spanish Bouy. They must of thouoght I was Puerto Rican or something. They were following me for a good while until I got to the subway on Beverly where cops were posted and tehy stop following me. Brooklyn is rough dude. Ive seen grimm all over Brooklyn. A couple of weeks ago I was in Dumbo just enjoying the scenary and I walked passed the infamous Farrugut Projects. I was nicely dressed trendy fashion and three dudes who were hanging outside of there building and they kept on staring at me. Despite Ingresol and Farrugut housing projects the area was still grimmy even though developers built million dollar condos and refurbished coops in that area. But alot of money can be made out of grimm though. Over the years I came to a concensus with some people that Bronx and Brooklyn are a like in some ways. Both Bk and Bx are good and bad in my book. Not one is worse then the other.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
I find this laughable. Coming from brooklyn you are in no way shape or form to talk about the bronx. Just like bk has parts like park slope the bronx has places like city island,country club,silver beach,throgsneck,pelham,riverdale etc. The worst parts of bk are worst than the baddest parst of the bronx. The whole brooklyn hipster movement is confusing some people. Brooklyn is grimey as a hell

Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 PM

239 posts, read 306,194 times
Why are so much of the outerboroughs so grimy anyway? Were the outerboroughs designed for the poor back in the day?

I was somewhere in Brooklyn that looked like a complete warzone and right up until the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel then you suddenly emerge in picture perfect beautiful Downtown Manhattan. The contrast was jarring.

I will say that I ventured through Staten Island on accident and seemed much nicer than the Bronx (coming back from Jersey, was headed to Manhattan's Wall Street my navigation system took me to the Wall Street on Staten Island )

Staten Island was surprisingly pretty nice and it was hilly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City