Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There are many Spanish Black people that have African heritage. So you are saying only certain skin colors are latino?
True Latinos show heritage to a Romance language country. South American dark skin is not the same as African Black (or shades of which is due to the proximaty to the equator - countries on the equator have the darkest skin while people near the poles have very light skin). So to answer your question is not that simple as color. But usually the darker the skin color either leads to an Indian or African without testing for European genes. Most of African looking blacks in spanish speaking countries were brought there as slaves of the colonists from Spain.

If you look up the history of South America you will find that due to the Spaniards nearly 75% of the population died to numerous reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
True Latinos show heritage to a Romance language country. South American dark skin is not the same as African Black (or shades of which is due to the proximaty to the equator - countries on the equator have the darkest skin while people near the poles have very light skin). So to answer your question is not that simple as color. But usually the darker the skin color either leads to an Indian or African without testing for European genes. Most of African looking blacks in spanish speaking countries were brought there as slaves of the colonists from Spain.

If you look up the history of South America you will find that due to the Spaniards nearly 75% of the population died to numerous reasons.
There are many Afro Latinos if you look it up.

You can't exclude them because they have African origin. That is racist.

Colombia has many Afro Latinos.

There are many Latinos that are Asian too, that live in the countries.

If you want to be Technical saying only Romance languages, you have to include Hatians who speak French.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
There are many Afro Latinos if you look it up.

You can't exclude them because they have African origin. That is racist.

Colombia has many Afro Latinos.

There are many Latinos that are Asian too, that live in the countries.

If you want to be Technical saying only Romance languages, you have to include Hatians who speak French.

I think Colombia is around 20% afro hispanic, while the majority is Mestizo(Amerindian-white).

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Many Look European as well as Asian

Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM

449 posts, read 877,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The issue of the perceived color of Italians has changed completely over the course of my lifetime.When I was growing up in an Irish ghetto we were taught by family and Irish nuns that Italians were non white.It was totally ignorant of course but Italians were considered "colored".Marriage between Irish and Italian people was strongly discouraged and was quite rare because Italians were considered another race.When I was a kid my older sister married an Italian guy and the fighting,screaming and name calling that went on is still a vivd memory for me.I mean real knock down battles ! Within a decade attitudes changed dramatically and the Irish/Italian wedding combo became quite common.
The issue of Italians not being considered "White," according to my Italian-family by-marriage, came from the invasion of North African immigrants into Sicily many, many years' ago. Many intermarried with Italians.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 PM

122 posts, read 211,013 times
As many others have pointed out here, what is considered "Latino in NYC," is a term derived in California to identify Mexican people, who did not like the term "Chicanos."

As an Hispanic born in NYC, who speaks English and Spanish, that is what I consider myself to be, and that is what the Census considers me, an Hispanic-American. I have never identified myself as a "Latino."

Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
The issue of Italians not being considered "White," according to my Italian-family by-marriage, came from the invasion of North African immigrants into Sicily many, many years' ago. Many intermarried with Italians.
Italians are a mixed bunch. Northern italy was ruled by gauls, romans, goths, lombards, franks, holy roman empire who spoke german, france, italian unification. Southern italy was ruled by the greeks, romans, byzantines, arabs briefly, lombards, scilians, spanish for a couple of centuries, then france and after unification. Central italy was ruled by the pope. Sicily was ruled by the greeks and carthage who fought over the island. Rome, goths, byzantines, arabs, normans, spanish, french under napoleon. Many scilians are descendents of north africans by carthegian and arab north african. Example the word mafia is an arabic word which was used sicily. I could see why italians not considered white at an historical perspective.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Latino is more of a west coast Mexican word. I have always used the term Hispanic or Spanish back east.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
QUESTION: If a woman is ethnically/culturally African-American, and multiracial (60% African/ 40% other), and has a child with a Puerto Rican man (mixed appearance), what is the child? AA or Latino, or something else? Is the child's designation more about nature or nurture?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
As the soon-to-be mom of a "mixed-race" kid, I say it is up to the kid to decide. But according to the latest census results, more and more Americans are choosing to call themselves multiracial instead of the old way of only choosing one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City