Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times

Advertisements

Great photos...but ya know...we down here in the South Bronx also have some beautiful areas and lots of misconceptions. Maybe I should take some photos...hmm...

Moderator's Note: The early posts in this thread were moved from an existing thread on Pelham Parkway to discuss another arer of The Bronx. As such, there may be continuity errors that refrence the other thread.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-13-2011 at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Default Perspectives of the South Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Great photos...but ya know...we down here in the South Bronx also have some beautiful areas and lots of misconceptions. Maybe I should take some photos...hmm...
I concur, the south bronx has alot of bueaty but its only tarnishes by general american misconception about the south bronx. We have the lower concourse, the old alexander avenue and as the or brownstones in mott haven. The charm of the cathedral of baseball etc. the old classic charm of little italy in arthur avenue. The south bronx also have great dining options that rival those in the north. Such as pio pio, bruckner bar and grill, alexanders cafe, santa clarita, Giovannis pizza, angies pizzeria, yankee steak house
and the cafes and bistro that line arthur avenue. It seems many manhannites tourists and hipsters venture out into south bronx then they would to the north bronx just to enjoy restuarants and other attractions. I just wish the general outsider can get a better feel for the bronx wheter its north or south or east or west.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-08-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Little Italy/Arthur Ave is not the South Bronx, it is the central Bronx...otherwise I would agree with the above comment.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
Quote:
Please do. PLEASE.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Little Italy/Arthur Ave is not the South Bronx, it is the central Bronx...otherwise I would agree with the above comment.
Isnt everything south of fordham road is the south bronx so techinically wouldnt Arthur Avenue between 183 and 187th be in South Bronx or considered south Bronx but geographically in central Bronx? But any way the North Bronx does not get much recgonition but at least it gets much support from locals among the community. The pics blue dog supplied are lovely and I the pics dispells the myth of what the Bronx is imagined and romantized by ordinary Americans.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
I really hope you do that, SobroGuy. Pictures really do say 1,000 words.We can all keep reminding people forever about how many great places there are to live in The Bronx but I think a lot of it falls on deaf ears.

If they are confronted with the evidence of pictures they will have to think and question whether their ideas have any validity.Don't forget,it's was pictures that got The Bronx it's bad reputation ,so maybe it's pictures that will finally end the stigma.

Most of the people who say bad things about The Bronx or who are afraid to move to The Bronx have never set foot in The Bronx or haven't been here for 20 or 30 years.And this includes an incredible number of NY'ers. Their image is distorted because of all the pictures they saw on TV and in newspapers and magazines.There are still NYers who are afraid to go ANYWHERE in The Bronx !

Maybe if you and other folks in other parts of the borough take some photos of the good things in their neighborhoods we could start a Bronx photos thread. The media is not going to come back now and start showing how things have changed or in the case of some neighborhoods, how they haven't changed because they didn't need to.Maybe we have to do it.

Here are a couple of photos I took last weekend on City Island,The Brnx ! Scary,right.

Eat you hearts out Westchesterites! The houses lined up on the water look across at the Manhattan skyline,cost about 700,000,are on swimmable water and have 5,000/yr property taxes because they are in the big,bad,scary Bronx !
Attached Thumbnails
Perspectives of the South Bronx-img_1071.jpg   Perspectives of the South Bronx-img_1067.jpg  

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-08-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Isnt everything south of fordham road is the south bronx so techinically wouldnt Arthur Avenue between 183 and 187th be in South Bronx or considered south Bronx but geographically in central Bronx? But any way the North Bronx does not get much recgonition but at least it gets much support from locals among the community. The pics blue dog supplied are lovely and I the pics dispells the myth of what the Bronx is imagined and romantized by ordinary Americans.
In the 70's it was, and technically, it should still be. But nowadays, people have started to go back to calling places by their neighborhood. So you have West, Central, and South now used as geographic terms instead of social ills, arson, and the "ghetto" Bronx term ( Socioeconomic term, it's original purpose, used to seperate bad neighborhoods from the good ones). If this was 1978, University Heights, Fordham, Belmont, East Tremont, Morris Heights etc would have all fallen under the umbrella south Bronx.

We had a huge discussion (2 threads) about what is considered south Bronx a while back if you're interested in reading it.

BTW, Sobroguy has a very small definition of south Bronx. He excludes Morrisania and I think Highbridge.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
I have the old perception of "South Bronx" with especially Morrisania and East Tremont/West Farms as epicenters.

If Soundview suffered decay back in the days I will also include the area to South Bronx, maybe even Castle Hill...

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I have the old perception of "South Bronx" with especially Morrisania and East Tremont/West Farms as epicenters.

If Soundview suffered decay back in the days I will also include the area to South Bronx, maybe even Castle Hill...
Look at my block in 1980:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6857/66170003.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The only difference was that where those vacant lots are, there used to be houses. In my neighborhood, there were only a couple of buildings that were destroyed, but alot more private homes were abandoned.

If you go were to be in Morris Heights in 1980, especially to below 175th and towards the western edge, you would have see nlots of vacant spots were buildings used to be.

Morris Heights was left in better shape than the southern portion of the Bronx because by the time all the arson and abandonement was occuring in Morris Heights, people already knew about what happened to the southern portion sopeople stepped in and razed old structures, and salvaged others, which is why Morris Heights nowadays has as much NYCHA rehabs as anywhere in the city. As a result in saved University Heights, sans a couple of buildings on W 180th, the destruction because they stepped in and prevented it. This North west group also stopped the plight at Fordham rd.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-13-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Morrisania north of 161st and Third looked like that pic, still in 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City