Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 39,434 times

Advertisements

Hello - going to be staying on Macon Street in Brooklyn in a vacation home this summer. Wondering if there are any safety issues (did notice that there is a good amount of crime having to do with the subway stop nearest the house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrastar View Post
Hello - going to be staying on Macon Street in Brooklyn in a vacation home this summer. Wondering if there are any safety issues (did notice that there is a good amount of crime having to do with the subway stop nearest the house).
Macon Street is a long street. Do you know the intersection? Macon between what and what?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
LOL,a "vacation home" in Bed Stuy ? That just doesn't sound right.Makes no sense at all.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
LOL,a "vacation home" in Bed Stuy ? That just doesn't sound right.Makes no sense at all.
Maybe its a bed and breakfast. They have some in the Stuy.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe its a bed and breakfast. They have some in the Stuy.
I guess that's a possibility.Would make sense.Just sounds weird to envision a "vacation home in Bed Stuy" if you know what I mean.

Now,"vacation home in Rockaway" would be completely understandable.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Right near the Public Library. Going for a conference, sharing the house with a bunch of others, not much of a 'vacation,' more of a rental. Impossible for me to tell which area it really is in since I know next to nothing about NYC/Brooklyn - been reading some posts on here but don't know enough to dissect.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Right near the Public Library. Going for a conference, sharing the house with a bunch of others, not much of a 'vacation,' more of a rental. Impossible for me to tell which area it really is in since I know next to nothing about NYC/Brooklyn - been reading some posts on here but don't know enough to dissect.
You're either going to be on Macon Street between Lewis Avenue and Marcus Garvey Boulevard or Macon Street between Lewis Avenue and Stuyvesant Avenue.

Not the worst part of the Stuy, but it is a little hood around there. I would advise to take extra precaution walking around there at evening/night hours.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're either going to be on Macon Street between Lewis Avenue and Marcus Garvey Boulevard or Macon Street between Lewis Avenue and Stuyvesant Avenue.

Not the worst part of the Stuy, but it is a little hood around there. I would advise to take extra precaution walking around there at evening/night hours.
Thank you - was thinking I should probably take a taxi directly to the house at night rather than subway + walking. Have been to NYC before but not Brooklyn - was hoping no one would say DO NOT STAY THERE! Did finally find out what precinct it's in but a lot different than figuring out where things are in Michigan

Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you - was thinking I should probably take a taxi directly to the house at night rather than subway + walking. Have been to NYC before but not Brooklyn - was hoping no one would say DO NOT STAY THERE! Did finally find out what precinct it's in but a lot different than figuring out where things are in Michigan
Nahh, if I were you I wouldn't walk from the train at night.
I'm very familiar with the area, so I know it well.
The closest train is the Utica Avenue station (A train and C train).
Since I'm comfortable with the area and have walked around there many times late at night, I feel fine doing so. But for a newcomer to the area I would not suggest it.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Found this thread:

Forum: How is the Neighborhood...

Muggings and robberies in the middle of the day? Is this a common thing - I mean, should I be taking taxis everywhere around there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City