Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 PM

633 posts, read 1,165,108 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have lived in Staten Island for 19 years. The big problem here is youth abusing marijuana and prescription drugs. Its all over the island. I live in Annadale, which looks pretty but the drug use is bad.
Many doctors live on Todt Hill and their children go to private school. We are looking to relocate from Staten Island to NC, lol. If I can be of any help to you, just ask.
LPhillyRN@aol.com

Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 26,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
Staten Island is nice,
just don't breath the air and don't drink the water.
I don't know about the water but if we talk about the quality of the air I can assure you that the quality of air is worse in Brooklyn, Queens and horrible in Manhattan.
I'm not going to rent anything in Manhattan even if they give it to me for $100 a month or free.
People in Manhattan live in Highways they call Avenues.
Park your car in Manhattan or Brooklyn for 10 hours at the same street and you are going to notice the black layer of pollution covering your car.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 26,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambreen108 View Post
MY husband is a doctor and he just got a job in Staten island,NY
We need to move asap, but I'm sure what areas are good to live in with 2 young kids. Every place my husband has looked is not a great neighborhood.

If anyone please tell me good neighborhoods in Staten Island i would really appreciate it
thanks
You are simply going to love living in the Staten Island.
It's more sunny almost anywhere you rent.
It's less polluted than Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens because it's an Island an the air is circulating and not blocked by the high rise buildings.
Nighttime and daytime we sleep like babies and you don't need to put anything in your ears to sleep.
Green Park are everywhere.
Staten Island can become a problem for people who commute with cars to other boroughs because of the tolls. It's a minimum of $200 to $400 per car you have to add to your rent or mortgage. If your rent is $1200 just add $250 to it.
The only thing Free is Staten Island Ferry. Cyclists who work in Manhattan love it because they don't pay anything to go to work. You can also cross the Bayonne bridge for free. If you work in downtown Manhattan you can simply walk to the Ferry.
If you work in Staten Island just stay away from the side facing New Jersey and the area of Staten Island Ferry because of the pollution coming from New Jersey (you can see it on Google earth by the color of the water).

Last edited by HakimTalbi; 04-22-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: didn't finish

Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,785 times
I love the North Shore, in particular Grymes Hill, Randall Manor and Snug Harbor/Livingston. These neighborhoods are here to stay and are a pleasant surprise to all who join us. There are parks, schools and easy access to the city as well as the hospitals. Good luck in your search and wish you your husband and children all the best in your relocation.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 9,767 times
I say let your husband commute to work and live either in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Especially if you are from LA you will go into culture shock in S.I. It is the armpit of the 5 boroughs.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,241 times
Your kids will end up on drugs.. tell your husband to commute and move anywhere but there!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 13,607 times
I lived on Staten Island for 17 years. My family relocated there from Brooklyn when I was 14. This is me purging myself of a big weight on my shoulders. I flat out never had an experience akin to moving to Staten Island in late 1993. It was, in hindsight, the best move I ever made. I left Staten Island 44 days ago to move to Florida. I never thought I would miss Staten Island as much as I do.

Maybe I just came at a good time. When I moved To the Island, I went to a great private school with down to Earth people and met my first girlfriend in April of 1994. We went on to date for two and a half years. She showed me as much of Staten Island that a young teen could. It felt like home right away. I was amazed at how much I didn’t miss Brooklyn…maybe because I wasn’t far away. She was from a beautiful family-oriented neighborhood in Great Kills. I moved to a rather affluent area in Southeast Annadale. I didn’t drive until 1997. Things started to change and it never quite felt the same after 1999 for a lot of reasons. Thinking back, everything changed in front of me and I never noticed when neighborhood staples had gone out of business or when dead-ends were made into intersections. In 6 years, it seemed everything was different. In the early 2000s, things had their own version of good (coinciding with good times in my early 20’s). I went on to start my own business on Staten Island and so a commute was never an issue. I have to credit the South Shore Staten Island population (as crude as they can be) with opening my mind to starting my own business and striving for a sense of wanting more for myself. My company was successful but over-population and a change in element made me look elsewhere to make myself happy. I sold my company in 2009.

There’s a semi-spoken rule amongst the natives of my generation. When you grew to be self-sufficient, you were to flee the “captivity” of Staten Island. I girl I dated left Staten Island in 2007. Although I speak to her once a year or so, I know she has no intentions of leaving Manhattan to go back to Staten Island.

Nevertheless, I thought there was something better out there for me as well…and so far there isn’t. NJ doesn’t really do it for me. I would look into PA in the future or even Long Island but I don’t think Staten Island will ever be out of my system. I think I want to give my new home a good 2-year shake before I RUN back to what feels like home. Staten Island to rest my head, Manhattan to socialize and appreciate the beauty of the Holidays. It just feels right.

Yes, there is a mafia presence there but they are present in lots of areas and they don’t have signs around their necks. There is a growing up Gotti crowd and there are a lot of superficial people. There is no such thing as Utopia.

Short answer: Good, neighborly areas are the fully-detached homes in New Dorp between Amboy Rd. and Hylan Blvd. straight down a few miles to Eltingville ending at about Arden Ave. If you have the means, Todt Hill or Lighthouse Hill represent some of the finest choices in the NYC suburbs.

This may sound philosophical and off-kilter but I’m reminded of when “Cheers” went off the air in ’93. The closing episode had Norm say something to Sam Malone to the effect of “You can’t stray from your one true love…you always come back to her!”…I took it for granted.

…Maybe I needed to rediscover what made Staten Island great to me 17 years ago.

I’m sorry for the length!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Jade11-your post was very nice. As a Staten Island native, I relate a lot to what your saying. I agree the island has changed very much, particulary in the last 10 years. I used to live on the South Shore, in Rossville, and it was a nice place to grow up, but I wouldn't want to live there now. Not that its not nice there now, it's just changed a lot, most of the old timers have left, and it's just not the same, plus it's becoming overcrowded. Now I live in South Beach in SI, and it's practically all Russian, which I don't really have a problem with, it's just weird to live in a neighborhood where I feel like the foreigner for speaking English. But it's convenient in many ways, and I deal with it.

I plan on leaving NY altogether in the next few years, but I know I will miss NY for certain reasons, but it's just becoming too pricey, plus the appeal of the city has long worn off for me, I find coming into Manhattan everyday for work to be a chore, and I don't even want to experience the city for all it has anymore because I am too tired from working all week and commuting for two hours a day on public transportation.

I still feel SI is the nicest borough though, and wouldn't want to live in any of the other 4 boroughs at all.

Last edited by jen5276; 10-13-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen4 View Post
Your kids will end up on drugs.. tell your husband to commute and move anywhere but there!
wow....
anyway, staten island is the safest borough, so moving there is a good idea.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:55 PM

41 posts, read 143,348 times
Default Senior Citizen Housing on Staten Island

I am 50 and and have multiple health problems. My daughter suggests that moved back to NY, Staten Island. I am searching for a nice quiet neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City