Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Why Silver Lake?
Short bus ride to the Ferry. Expensive area, but some bargains can be found. And the park is gorgeous!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM

301 posts, read 640,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Short bus ride to the Ferry. Expensive area, but some bargains can be found. And the park is gorgeous!
The way NY's taxes are affordability is becoming a thing of the past but you seem to know your stuff, I second the suggestion

Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
The way NY's taxes are affordability is becoming a thing of the past but you seem to know your stuff, I second the suggestion

Third.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 13,309 times
Todt Hill and Dongan Hill Colony are both the good places. You can search the neighbourhood from the internet to look for a house.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 3,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellythongs View Post
You're going to be surrounded by wannabe Italian guidos or just plain guidos hahaha. I'm from CA and I go to school on Long Island and that's how it isssss
You need to go back to LA and deal with your gangs that aren't Italian Americans. Or move to the Bronx. Then you most likely won't be surrounded by the Guidos. Co op City where I grew up had very few. Why don't you move there? Btw, You wouldnt dream of using a disparaging name for other ethnicities or races. Italian Americans are the safe group to hate. It's now 2020. There's a pandemic. Do you consider Dr Fauci to be a Guido????

Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
The deal is most New Yorkers are elitists (myself included perhaps). It's like how many Manhattanites don't consider those from the "outer boroughs" to be true New Yorkers or at least as "New York" as them because Manhattan is obviously considered to be the center of the city. Since Staten Island is the smallest, most isolated and overall most "suburban-esque" (though as I pointed out in a different thread, I read an article that provides a long list of big cities in the country that are overall more suburban than Staten Island) borough, it's kind of the low man on the totem pole. It is what it is. Queens gets it to an extent as well. I remember hearing that before Hip Hop Queens was considered to be as "uncool" as Staten Island (btw I rather not be "cool" by the standards they employ, lol). Again, that's life.

About the guidos though, I don't know where this whole Staten Island guido spiky haired stereotypes come from. That Vinny guy from Jersey Shore is what 90% of lame SI Italians look like - crew cut, fitted Yankee hat, about 5'7, dumb religious tattoo on bicep, tank top, small gold chain. Them other dudes on that show with all their hair gel and whatnot don't really exist on SI. Or if they do I thankfully stay far away from their hives. And please don't believe when you hear that Situation loser say he's from SI. He lived on SI from birth to age 10, which is when he moved to Jersey. Jersey molded him into the lame he is today.

The rest of the SI stereotypes that get pushed around on shows like SNL and the Jon Stewart Show about Mafia types and meatheads with heavy accents and stupid slang, who are quick to beat people up are just funny. Because for the longest time that was the stereotype of ALL New Yorkers that you'd see on TV and in movies. That image made Brooklyn famous! And now they're too classy for it. Smh. Guess it is what it is, yet again... I actually laugh at those stereotypes though because they're usually funny and it's clear they're just making fun. But when MTV makes the shows they do they're trying to pass all this off as fact. It's slightly enraging.

And one of them Gotti dudes is trying to jump-start a rap career at the moment. I heard one of the songs. Trust me, it was worse than you're probably picturing. It sounded like he was joking around.
Yes, at one time all working class New Yorkers were depicted as your descriptions. However, in this PC world it was no longer acceptable to disparage various races and ethnicities ACCEPT Italian Americans. They are now the SAFE group to disparage... It's now 2020. I wonder how many people are writing off Dr Fauci advice as uneducated and lamebrain. After all, he is one of those Goons and a Guido from Brooklyn...

Old 09-30-2020, 12:33 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgor281 View Post
Yes, at one time all working class New Yorkers were depicted as your descriptions. However, in this PC world it was no longer acceptable to disparage various races and ethnicities ACCEPT Italian Americans. They are now the SAFE group to disparage... It's now 2020. I wonder how many people are writing off Dr Fauci advice as uneducated and lamebrain. After all, he is one of those Goons and a Guido from Brooklyn...

Okay, I will EXCEPT what you just wrote.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:49 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgor281 View Post
You need to go back to LA and deal with your gangs that aren't Italian Americans. Or move to the Bronx. Then you most likely won't be surrounded by the Guidos. Co op City where I grew up had very few. Why don't you move there? Btw, You wouldnt dream of using a disparaging name for other ethnicities or races. Italian Americans are the safe group to hate. It's now 2020. There's a pandemic. Do you consider Dr Fauci to be a Guido????

Italian-Americans could care less what anyone thinks of us. We live in some of NYC's safest and most desirable neighborhoods. I'll take Oakwood, SI over East New York, Bklyn anytime.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Okay, I will EXCEPT what you just wrote.
Okay, I made a grammar mistake. (I grew up in the Bronx, where due to racism, education was not stellar) In my own personal experience, I've had people disparage Italian Americans, then slip up making much worse bigoted comments about other groups. These people were closet racists...

Old 09-30-2020, 07:38 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,292 times
Reviving a 12 year old thread I would like to add for all who are thinking of moving here. that Staten Island is a slum. Stay away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City