Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I wasnt talking about NYC....I was referring to the article previously posted about Boston.
It is even less true in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
It is even less true in Boston.
The article does not portray it in that light.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The article does not portray it in that light.
Rent control and stabilization are totally unjustifiable, and the longer they exist the angrier the rest of the public will get at these crap programs - just like we are at the public union employees.

The situation is reaching a ZERO TOLERANCE perception for special rights and protected classes.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
as both a tenant in a rent stabilized building and a landlord of rent stabilized apartments and ill be the first to admit i love the below market rent we have and im glad as a landlord to buy out these leases from our tenants and sell the apartments and finally reap the decades of investing.

in both cases things are working out okay. but but but. manipulating anything in an open market never leads to any good coming out of it.

the looser of price controls being put on end up being the masses who arent part of that group.

we payed the price in nyc and the boroughs buy having market rents for the other 10 million people who rent and crappy supply of new nice rentals.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Rent control and stabilization are totally unjustifiable, and the longer they exist the angrier the rest of the public will get at these crap programs - just like we are at the public union employees.

The situation is reaching a ZERO TOLERANCE perception for special rights and protected classes.
Public union employees? Lol...thats a whole other topic that I would like to touch base on with you sometime.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
And if we get a Democratic career politician/union panderer for Mayor in 2013...we will be royally screwed. Anyone who believes otherwise...well...look back at the Dinkins years..and that pretty much sums it up.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:28 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,805 times
Quote:
That's very sweet. But has no bearing on reality.

I missed the part in the State or US constitution where people are entitled to live where they want forever, even if they can't afford it - and get me and others to pay for it.

Perhaps these people would be willing to pay my grocery and utility bills since I am paying for their housing. YOU might be willing to pay higher fees/taxes whatever to subsidize people who are living in places they could not afford if the market was allowed to rule, but I am not.

Or perhaps YOU would like to make my retirement account contributions and my kids' college tuitions.

Enough is enough, the leeching of others in this country has reached End Game...

Because I'm telling you and every other bleeding heart liberal who is more than happy to take MY money (more like steal it) and hand it over to those less willing to work hard / study for long, long hours to earn their salary - if people like me say the system has reached the point of total corruption like Greece, just like Greece - I will stop paying my taxes. And so will millions of other income producers, and guess what will happen to this country then...
I am very sorry, but as soon as someone starts to get into political labels like "bleeding heart liberals", I know that this discussion is going to go nowhere.

Same goes with the comments about the Constitution.

I don't mind discussions about the Constitution, but not when someone jumps right to it the way you do. You sound like someone with an ideological ax to grind, and that's all.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:11 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,635 times
Carefull what you asking for.
Cuz people like you are the ones that going to creat a massive civil war in new york.dont mess with, what its not youres!! .so you think pulling to aside supposly(poor people) to a place where they can afford their living to move them out.in this case we are talking about black and spanish people. Yeah ! Well me im 100% pure puerto rican, living in new york. Its a shame on how low and so deep that you can ask to stop rent stabilization and rent control.thats selfish.the point is cuz of people like you they raising up everything ,so (poor people ) is forced to move or live in the streets. That will never happend ,im poor but rich on pride of who i am and what i am.since you have the money to pay for it ,why instead living on apartment, why dont you move to youre own house? High class!! I bet everything that people like you ,wont never survive on the streets like we do.and without us you aint nothing!!stick it to youre head.we will never let that happend and we will fight for it,maybe we move all of you out!!!!!! ,..;;;;;;;;

Old 08-04-2011, 06:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You also need to factor the new yorkers who left for.the green hills.
What's interesting to note is that many that do leave don't give up their apartments because of stabilization. They either sublet them or engage in other tricks.

Price controls leads to hoarding and shortages. In the case of stabilization it distorts normal behavior so that's why a single elderly women whose kids are long gone finds herself in a large 4BR apt when in reality she could make do with a 1BR. Anywhere else in the country she most likely would have made the move since she would be paying a premium for a 4BR she really doesn't need. In NYC that dynamic rarely takes place.

I remember having an elderly client at the bank I worked at on in the UWS. The woman was paying $1100 for a stabilized apartment on CPW but her only income was $1200 for social security. She only had $100 to live on for the month but she wouldn't give up her apartment and would rather eke out a sad existence.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
HotBlue, in the future please have someone read your posts before submitting them. They are not only hard to understand, but you sound like a buffoon. And please refrain from professing your Puerto Ricanness until you can create a cohesive thought with reasonably proper grammar. You are embarrassing the rest of us.

And I agree with Edwards comments, the extreme controls actually reward people to not move, maintain large apts while single, and prevent others from accessing housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City