Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
MANY apatments have been destailized over the last several decades and the result is the HIGHEST rents in the country. SO, so much for the concept of "destabilization = lower rents."

That's akin to lower taxes on the rich and the economy will BOOM!

Both are nonsensical.

When landlords can charge higher rents, guess what, they WILL charge higher rents.
It depends on demand, right?

Do you believe that there is a substantial number of potential renters who would pay 3.5k/ month but can't find an apt? Is there shortage of high priced rentals in NYC? Personally I find it hard to believe that there is a shortage of high priced units. Especially in this economic climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
More typically what happens like we saw in boston is rents go up initially. Apartments that went decades with no renovations are now being upgraded and new cost money.

Boston had a surge in work and construction permits when stabilization ended
When was this? Was this during the housing bubble or during an economic expansion?

Did the median rent price surge across all og Boston or just in desirable districts?

Was there a shortage of rentals in Boston before the programs ended?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i dont know much about boston other than in the two years following destabilization rents on average rose at the same time building and work permits soared. i believe it was back in the 1990's

i had no interest in really looking at things there so im not sure where they stand today

Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i dont know much about boston other than in the two years following destabilization rents on average rose at the same time building and work permits soared. i believe it was back in the 1990's

i had no interest in really looking at things there so im not sure where they stand today
Rent control was repealed in 1994 in Boston. Rents did soar, but they also soared in New York at the time, so it wasn't due to rent control--the late 90s were just good years for landlords.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:50 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
It reminds me of an argument I heard about my HUGE last market rent landlord who got GARGANTUAN tax breaks from City and State.

Someone posted on a local board that if ONLY the landlord got even LARGER tax breaks, he would drop rents somewhat.

The stupid implication was that if given a low cost structure, a landlord would charge LOWER than the market will bear. NO he will STILL charge market rent.

(Gosh, every time I type the word LANDORD I want to vomit. Will there never never be a time that FEUDALISM is consigned to the Dark Ages and the Lords of the Land are relegated to fantasyland?)

Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times
Quote:
It reminds me of an argument I heard about my HUGE last market rent landlord who got GARGANTUAN tax breaks from City and State.

Someone posted on a local board that if ONLY the landlord got even LARGER tax breaks, he would drop rents somewhat.

The stupid implication was that if given a low cost structure, a landlord would charge LOWER than the market will bear. NO he will STILL charge market rent.

(Gosh, every time I type the word LANDORD I want to vomit. Will there never never be a time that FEUDALISM is consigned to the Dark Ages and the Lords of the Land are relegated to fantasyland?)
Hey, look, everyone! Someone doesn't know what "feudalism" means!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I have a great fiefdom...and 2 sharecroppers.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,635 times

Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:

People are shockingly uninformed about the tax breaks that landlords receive, and as a matter of routine.

I do know quite a bit about feudalism, and that was not a bad analogy.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 12,700 times
I am a rent controlled tenant who is unemployed caring for an elderly relative.That God for rent regulated apartments!Most of us can not afford to pay even $1400.We are not all Stock Brokers and Bankers.A Social Worker,Teacher,Nurse or anyone in the helping professions would have a lot of difficulty paying market rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City