Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 32,611 times

Advertisements

If you work way downtown in the financial district you may want to look at towns on the west side of the hudson. 1 town I like is suffern, ny. Very old walkable downtown. Not terribly expensive, very close to harriman state park as well as sterling forest. so many lakes it would be hard to visit all of them. The train in suffern offers express service that will get you to hoboken in about an hour and then you can take the path over to WTC. probably an hour and a half door to door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Lets put it bluntly:

NYC and metro is HUGE, much more urbanity than anything else in the US, even LA and Chicago (and LA has some "nearby rural" because of the mountains). There's also lots of waterways that complicate the commute (i.e. toll bridges, etc). To find "rural", you need to go farther away than any other city in the US.

The closest "truly rural" is probably Putnam County (the county just north of Westchester) and it too has suburbanized quite a bit in the last 25 years. Also, as someone notes, commuting downtown from the north is arduous because it involves Metro North to a subway. About 20 years ago I commuted that way for 2 years from southernmost Westchester and in the ensuing years I found (from the same location) that driving to Peekskill (twice the distance) and Bridgeport, CT (three times the distance) to be an easier commute, to give you an idea.

For other areas, Orange County (i.e. Middletown, Newburgh areas) are pretty "rural", NJ you need westward to go over halfway to PA to get rural, south you need to get to the inland part of the Jersey Shore (the shore itself is quite built-up and the I-95/US 1 corridor is pretty built up all the way to Philly). Little if any of Long Island I would consider "rural" anymore (and the parts I would are almost 100 miles from Manhattan). Ditto coastal CT (inland CT is pretty pastoral though, someone mentioned Ridgefield area as a good example).

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 PM

15 posts, read 36,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
What of your post is worthy of respect?

You made a lot of UNQUALIFIED and unsupported comments, apparently based upon your personal bias.

Now, if you have some qualification and/or support for your biased spewings, I'm open to it.

Otherwise, your post is what is is, just a guy talking ahhh crap!

BTW, you strongly and negatively judged and disrespected the builder, the home owners of AVBS, and the entire neighborhood. So if you can dish it, then expect to be dished back.

So, ahhhh, who is the hypocrit?
You are a bigger twit than the original shill who had his firm to defend in the building of these homes....people are entitled to opinions and far Rockaway has been a **** Hole for years. Your indignation affirms your ignorance

Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM

15 posts, read 36,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedisahellofadrug_ View Post
But your not qualified to say who should be saying what homeskillet.
You haven't served me any dish worth eating.
Did you build the homes? Are you the contractor? If not then s.t.f.u.
BTW
I'm not a guy.
Enough said.
Apparently there are some ignorant assuming idiots who
Hypocritically asset that because one observes shoddy building.....they must be a racist. when I lived in San Francisco I saw NW housing being built.....not one piece of real wood, or solid metal was used......conversely a house down the block was built with balloon framing and real wood.....in my racist opinion the second structure was better built. but I guess this opinion reeks of hate and ignorance? Ha ha

PS prefab Can be quality construction....but stick housing because of time constraints, market forces and the environment can be shoddy...My aunt had a place in this area so I am familiar with some of the housing issues.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 660 times
Were is the best rural area

Old 01-27-2016, 05:48 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Lol.. ?! Rural and new york city don't go together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City