Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Good question. Maybe they like the idea of coming in and "conquering", similar to the way the Spanish did back in the old days.

Repped. I agree. The Spanish perfected divide and conquer for a good portion of western domination in the past 500 years, French, British and Americans followed suit later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
I never stated that the hipsters are the dominant population in any area of East Williamsburg and I never stated that hipsters claim to be cool with black and Spanish folks. I actually stated the total opposite, so therefore he disagreed with me.

Proof: too many hipsters that I've dealt with claim to be cool with black and Spanish folk and yet on the streets in certain areas of East Williamsburg where they have become the dominant presence

Yes some are cool with locals, especially those who have an education, those that own property and even to some extent to those who sell drugs to hipsters. The only times I see locals with hipsters are those who are either A educated or B artistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There are puerto ricans that have been in North Brooklyn for generations that do not speak a lick of Spanish. Their ancestors came over 75+ years ago. I find that all puerto ricans in Brooklyn speak english, but I do not find all of them to speak spanish.

Repped you too, from my observation plus I agree. Same could be said for the South Bronx Rican population, most do not know any Spanish or just a lick of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you are so proud of being Puerto Rican, why arent you living in Puerto Rico?
? .Puerto Ricans have no claim to any place in NY as some sort of homeland, because Nee York has no true history with Puerto Rico! Ethnic groups have come and go in Nyc. People will live where they can afford. If you want to be able to stay in these neighborhoods, get a job that enables you to live there! Buy property there. Or otherwise be removed, plain and simple.

REpped you too, plus I agree. Puerto Ricans have some claim to NYC because they moved here raised kids here, help create a culture here, however when things hit the fan that claim can easily erode and cause some people of this ethnic group to move and flee to greener pastures, case in point for NYC Puerto Ricans its population began decling two decades ago. Nobody is not forcing Puerto Ricans out of Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, Sunset Park, Loisada, East Harlem, Mott Haven, or even in Astoria. The Puerto Ricans are packing up and leaving for various reasons on their own terms. But yes you are right that ethnic groups have come and gone in NYC. IF one can afford to stay in NYC and shrug COL and QOL issues to be content with like some people do, if so Puerto Ricans will stay in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
Now what is you talking about OyCrumber? The only evidence that you claim that Albanians are the majority nationality population in East Williamsburg is a picture with two cars facing each other with Albanian graffiti, an Albanian flag and some other Albanian art talking about you was there last weekend with your brothers/sisters. I don't even know if there is/are any Albanians living in East Williamsburg due to your lack of evidence but I will find out this Saturday afternoon though.

Meanwhile, I've posted 2 youtube video clips and 3 webpages all recent (2013), including a webpage about the unaccuracy in the Puertorican U.S. Census counts as proof that there is no contradictions in all of my comments. And the only Puertoricans that would distance themselves from me are the Puertoricans that consider themselves all american and deny to speak Spanish.
I said Armenians. Not Albanians. Those are different people. You can't deny it--my pictures of Armenian stuff was way better and that Eagle and Lion thing on the flag is so much more than anyone can handle. For true.

I just sweat myself so hard looking at that image that I had to use TWO (2!) paper towels to wipe myself off and I'm not even close to dry.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM

84 posts, read 144,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I said Armenians. Not Albanians. Those are different people. You can't deny it--my pictures of Armenian stuff was way better and that Eagle and Lion thing on the flag is so much more than anyone can handle. For true.

I just sweat myself so hard looking at that image that I had to use TWO (2!) paper towels to wipe myself off and I'm not even close to dry.
Or Armenian, whatever flag you want to represent against the Puertoricans of East Williamsburg that have been residents there for decades.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM

84 posts, read 144,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes some are cool with locals, especially those who have an education, those that own property and even to some extent to those who sell drugs to hipsters. The only times I see locals with hipsters are those who are either A educated or B artistic.
That's because not all Puertoricans are united with one another and/or supporting our heritage/brotherhood as a nation, that's why we are in the predicament, poverty, humiliation and discrimination that we are in today all over NYC. We've been living with lack of income, affordable housing, employment, a decent & respectful long term heterosexual relationship/marriage/family, business establishments/licensing, real estate ownership, unity, brotherly love, spirituality and peace in our communities for decades. In all of the neighborhoods that we are the majority population, there are a lot of Puertoricans that are anti-social and anti-society with our own people such as coveting/gossiping/disagreeing/backstabbing/fighting/hurting/killing each other, not helping one another with school, jobs, business opportunities, housing, dating/relationships, motivation, self-rehabilitation, peace/respect/unity, letting other communities invade, violate and take over ours without a fight, letting other communities humiliate us and discriminate us in what a lot of us are refusing to help one another with. Between the 1800's - the 60's, the governments have been segregating us all over the United States and Puertorico (with the same segregation of African Americans) due to our skin color and that has a lot to do with it. There are other factors as well. We are hurting ourselves as a nation, that's why it's so difficult for so many Puertoricans to achieve success but this will not last forever because not all of us Puertoricans have the same mindset. (If anyone in city-data.com assume any falsehood about anything that I posted in this particular comment and reply about those assumptions, I will post plenty of online proof that supports everything that I'm talking about as past and recent facts concerning this comment if necessary, so don't play yourselves)!

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-17-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
If not Puerto Ricans being the majority in E. Williamsburg, is it the Orthodox Jews? Other Hispanuc groups? I've driven on Bway between Flushing Ave and the East River, and I see Hispanics, Jews & black people (Bed Stuy is close).
There is no majority group.

If you have a neighborhood that's 40% Group A, 30% Group B, and 30% Group C, then Group A is the group that makes up the plurality of the population, but not the majority.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,278 times
Puerto Ricans have also spread to other areas around the nation. Many have left NYC for suburban areas or for the Southern states. Some have even gone back to Puerto Rico.

So the Puerto Rican diaspora is spreading out and growing.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEANVICUNA View Post
I am a New York City born Baby Boomer of Puerto Rican background, my 100% ethnic identification has always been PUERTO RICAN TO THE BONE. I come from a middle class/working class background. I was born in Manhattan and raised in Brooklyn, East New York, Ocean Hill Brownsville, and very proud of it. Back in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's, the majority of the Puerto Ricans that lived in New York City were working class/middle class population. They owned homes, businesses, opened theaters, social clubs, newspapers, television shows, etc. they opened door, for all other Hispanics. And if you really do a credible survey, more Puerto Ricans worked than those that were on welfare or lived in poverty. By the same token, if a proper and truthful survey was ever done, more whites in many other states, lived from Welfare benefits back in 1940's, 50's and 60's than Puerto Ricans did. Also more Hispanics take welfare, than do Puerto Ricans, for they average a larger percent taking food stamps, medicaid, wick, section 8, and other Welfare benefits than do Puerto Ricans.
And at times, for those unfortunate Puerto Ricans who did take government benefits, many times it was because of a CULTURAL BELIEVE, IT IS VERY TO RECEIVE CHARITY THAN TO PROSTITUTE, SELL DRUGS AND RUIN LIVES, STEEL, FOR ROB. Give Puerto Rican the credit they deserve, out of 4.2 millions, every few live in poverty. And it's all about what you consider poverty, while you have Hispanics and Middle Easterns living 20 or 30 in a one bedroom apartment, working for the minimum wage 50 and 60 hours per week and sending those earnings to their country, but since their children are born in USA they collect food stamps, medicaid, wick, and welfare for them while they work and not report their earnings or if they do they report half of their earnings. And while Dominicans go to every single food pantry there is collect food and then send back to their country and sell it. ENOUGH, PUERTO RICANS ARE TALENT, SELF SERVIVING, PIONEERS THAT HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE UNITED STATES IN MORE THAN ONE WAY, AND SHOULD BE HONORED.
You are delusional.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/87484-puer...rugglingstill/

Quote:
overall, Puerto Ricans are among the poorest and least educated New Yorkers. Almost a third in New York are living in poverty. Here are some of the figures.

In New York City, 31.2 percent of Puerto Ricans live in poverty, compared with 27.8 percent of Latinos more broadly and 18.9 percent of the New York City population overall. Nationally, 22 percent of Puerto Ricans are in poverty, versus 19 percent of Latinos overall
I'm sure all these Puerto Ricans on section 8 and living in South Bronx, East Harlem projects are on section 8 for charity LMAO. They want to make sure poor Guatemalan kids don't starve.

You are so off your rocker, that you can't begin to comprehend that it was actually Puerto Ricans in the PR parade a few years back who molested those women. Yes Ladies and Gents, this character here sent me a tirade via PM saying "DOMINICANS DID IT, DOMINICANS DID IT, WE PUERTO RICANS NEVER COMMIT CRIME, BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE DOMINICANS!

News Flash:

Puerto Ricans are the most violent offenders in NYC.
Puerto Ricans are the poorest group in NYC.
Puerto Rico is known as Zombie Island due to the all the crack heads.
Puerto Ricans have been here as long as Italians and while Italians have moved on to the Suburbs, Puerto Ricans are still living in the projects.

So get it through your thick skull, YOUR people commit crimes, YOUR people are leech off the system, YOUR people have flaws. STOP blaming Dominicans for everything. This is the problem with PR. There is an inherited racism there that everything bad is because of Dominicans. No dodo brain, look in the mirror before you falsely accuse MY people for the heinous actions that YOUR people did. How dare you. Don't you ever do that again.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 PM

482 posts, read 945,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
What was the point of starting this thread?
Where is this supposed to go from here?
Were you just thinking out loud?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 PM

As long as I can remember, there was a HUGE population of Puerto Ricans in The Bronx, especially near Grand Concourse. I prefer the people and the culture over Dominicans...probably because they are more familiar to me growing up. Not that anyone asked for a comparison.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You are delusional.

Puerto Ricans in New York Struggling...Still - WNYC

I'm sure all these Puerto Ricans on section 8 and living in South Bronx, East Harlem projects are on section 8 for charity LMAO. They want to make sure poor Guatemalan kids don't starve.

You are so off your rocker, that you can't begin to comprehend that it was actually Puerto Ricans in the PR parade a few years back who molested those women. Yes Ladies and Gents, this character here sent me a tirade via PM saying "DOMINICANS DID IT, DOMINICANS DID IT, WE PUERTO RICANS NEVER COMMIT CRIME, BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE DOMINICANS!

News Flash:

Puerto Ricans are the most violent offenders in NYC.
Puerto Ricans are the poorest group in NYC.
Puerto Rico is known as Zombie Island due to the all the crack heads.
Puerto Ricans have been here as long as Italians and while Italians have moved on to the Suburbs, Puerto Ricans are still living in the projects.

So get it through your thick skull, YOUR people commit crimes, YOUR people are leech off the system, YOUR people have flaws. STOP blaming Dominicans for everything. This is the problem with PR. There is an inherited racism there that everything bad is because of Dominicans. No dodo brain, look in the mirror before you falsely accuse MY people for the heinous actions that YOUR people did. How dare you. Don't you ever do that again.
Now that's just rude. Wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City