Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have a lot of South and Central Americans moving to the Bronx too. Its got the cheapest rent in the city. As for the Blacks in the Bronx, a lot of Black Americans have moved out, and you know have a lot of Caribbean Blacks, Black Hispanics, and African Blacks.

Why did a lot of Puerto Ricans and Black Americans move out? I think a lot of Black and Puerto Rican families were in these neighborhoods back in the day when it was easy welfare and during the peak of the crack epidemic. I think many people lost people due to crime, the prison system, and Aids. So I think people wanted to moved on to greener pastures and better lifestyles. Ironically, as the newer arrivals tend to work (and as easy welfare is all but gone) these areas are a lot nicer these days.
We moved out because of the crack era and our once nice neighborhoods turned into drug war zones. It was unsafe. Whoever had the means to leave left -- mainly middle class people. The decline in the Afam population all over NYC is directly associated with the impact of crack on our communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM

84 posts, read 144,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Does East Williamsburg exist or is it a real estate tactic to attract white people? I always called that area Bushwick.
It's an extension/sub-Barrio of a Puertorican main Barrio such as Puertorican East Williamsburg is an extension of Puertorican Bushwick (the main Barrio in Brooklyn), Puertorican South Bronx is an extension of Puertorican Spanish Harlem (the main Barrio in Upper Manhattan) , Puertorican LES is an extension of Loisaida (the main Barrio in Lower Manhattan), etc.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
If you go by census data, east williamsburg is not a Puerto Rican neighborhood. If you take into consideration the Puerto Rican population further down on the L, J and M lines that use east williamsburg establishments than I can understand why someone would consider east Williamsburg to have a large Puerto Rican community. It is a location that is in between manhattan and a very significant Puerto Rican population, no matter what census track they're part of. It also helps if you are in a 3 - 5 mile radius of bushwick during the week of their independence anniversary.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Aren't there US Census, NYC gov, or American Community Survey stats on East Williamsburg which would flat out say whether Puerto Ricans are 50% or more of the neighborhood?

I sometimes use this really cool site called city-data and I looked up East Williamsburg on it. It's using 2010 data, I believe, and it currently has the Hispanic (any race) population of East Williamsburg at about half. Now if the entire Hispanic population in East Williamsburg is Puerto Rican and nothing else and there haven't been any demographic changes since 2010 that would increase any other non-Puerto Rican group's proportion of the population, then Puerto Ricans making 50% of the population is true.

So, are the following two necessary conditions both true?
1) All hispanic people in East Williamsburg are Puerto Rican
2) The proportion of non-Puerto Ricans has not grown since 2010

From what I can tell, neither of those are true so I don't see how Puerto Ricans can be the majority population of East Williamsburg.
Nah, a lot of those stats are from 2000, not 2010 (which would only prove your point further, because the Puerto Rican population has declined between 2000 & 2010).

Here is a map of the 2010 census. I'll define East Williamsburg as stretching from Flushing to Metropolitan to the BQE to Broadway (for simplicity's sake).

Here is a map showing the Hispanic group with a plurality (not even majority) out of all the other Hispanic groups in that census tract.

The only census tracts within that region that are 50% Hispanic or more are Tract 523 (73% Hispanic), Tract 505 (51% Hispanic), Tract 493 (64% Hispanic), Tract 489 (59% Hispanic) and Tract 453 (50% Hispanic). The rest we can discount, because since they're less than 50% Hispanic, they can't be more than 50% Puerto Rican.

Now, Tract 523 had 1,241 Puerto Ricans out of a population of 6,629, which is about 19% Puerto Rican (that tract is about 35% Dominican, and if you want to be technical, that's Southside, not East Williamsburg).

Tract 505 had 1,151 Puerto Ricans out of 4,163 people total, which is about 28%. On the other side of Graham Avenue (Tract 493), there were 2,935 Puerto Ricans out of 7,625 people total, which is about 38% Puerto Rican.

Tract 489 was had 4,039 people, and 1,583 were Puerto Rican, so that makes it 39% Puerto Rican.

Tract 453 had 2,017 people, and 283 were Puerto Rican, which is about 14%. Meanwhile, that tract was about 18% Mexican.

And that's ignoring the fact that Tracts 513, 503, 495, 481, 485, 511, and 491 were under 50% Hispanic.

So there would have to have been an explosion in the Puerto Rican population in that neighborhood between 2010 & 2013 (and if anything, it's been getting smaller) for it to come even close to being 50% Puerto Rican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
The Puertorican population in East Williamsburg don't have to be the only hispanic nationality in the neighborhood to be over 50%. Obviously, you have not visited East Williamsburg in a Saturday afternoon on a hot summer day to see what I'm commenting about. You just making assumptions based on neighborhood nationality population percentages that are not official (you have not posted any webpages and/or youtube videos to prove that your comments are official and obviously you don't work for the U.S. Census).
LMAO. Yeah, YouTube videos are good proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Does East Williamsburg exist or is it a real estate tactic to attract white people? I always called that area Bushwick.
Me personally, I think it exists. Areas like Graham Avenue are too far east to be Williamsburg proper, but too far west to be Bushwick.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If you go by census data, east williamsburg is not a Puerto Rican neighborhood. If you take into consideration the Puerto Rican population further down on the L, J and M lines that use east williamsburg establishments than I can understand why someone would consider east Williamsburg to have a large Puerto Rican community. It is a location that is in between manhattan and a very significant Puerto Rican population, no matter what census track they're part of. It also helps if you are in a 3 - 5 mile radius of bushwick during the week of their independence anniversary.
@ hablodecorazon2013 - keep I'm mind that the Williamsburg/bushwick community wasn't always a Puerto Rican one. There were predecessors prior to the Puerto Ricans that have left the area without a trace. Not sure if your even from east williamsburg, but if you are, protect it.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Actually, the U.S. Census data does not have the exact percentages of every nationality population in a specific neighborhood so unless someone that works for the U.S. Census have access to that inside information, there is now way to see what nationality is the majority in East Williamsburg or any other neighborhood. You have personally to visit the entire East Williamsburg on a hot Saturday afternoon (when the majority of the Puertoricans are outside) to know that the two 2013 youtube video clips and the three 2013 webpages I've posted in my previous comments are total facts about East Williamsburg being predominantly(50%+) Puertorican.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
@ hablodecorazon2013 - keep I'm mind that the Williamsburg/bushwick community wasn't always a Puerto Rican one. There were predecessors prior to the Puerto Ricans that have left the area without a trace. Not sure if your even from east williamsburg, but if you are, protect it.
Yes Sir.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Nah, a lot of those stats are from 2000, not 2010 (which would only prove your point further, because the Puerto Rican population has declined between 2000 & 2010).

Here is a map of the 2010 census. I'll define East Williamsburg as stretching from Flushing to Metropolitan to the BQE to Broadway (for simplicity's sake).

Here is a map showing the Hispanic group with a plurality (not even majority) out of all the other Hispanic groups in that census tract.

The only census tracts within that region that are 50% Hispanic or more are Tract 523 (73% Hispanic), Tract 505 (51% Hispanic), Tract 493 (64% Hispanic), Tract 489 (59% Hispanic) and Tract 453 (50% Hispanic). The rest we can discount, because since they're less than 50% Hispanic, they can't be more than 50% Puerto Rican.

Now, Tract 523 had 1,241 Puerto Ricans out of a population of 6,629, which is about 19% Puerto Rican (that tract is about 35% Dominican, and if you want to be technical, that's Southside, not East Williamsburg).

Tract 505 had 1,151 Puerto Ricans out of 4,163 people total, which is about 28%. On the other side of Graham Avenue (Tract 493), there were 2,935 Puerto Ricans out of 7,625 people total, which is about 38% Puerto Rican.

Tract 489 was had 4,039 people, and 1,583 were Puerto Rican, so that makes it 39% Puerto Rican.

Tract 453 had 2,017 people, and 283 were Puerto Rican, which is about 14%. Meanwhile, that tract was about 18% Mexican.

And that's ignoring the fact that Tracts 513, 503, 495, 481, 485, 511, and 491 were under 50% Hispanic.

So there would have to have been an explosion in the Puerto Rican population in that neighborhood between 2010 & 2013 (and if anything, it's been getting smaller) for it to come even close to being 50% Puerto Rican.

LMAO. Yeah, YouTube videos are good proof.

Me personally, I think it exists. Areas like Graham Avenue are too far east to be Williamsburg proper, but too far west to be Bushwick.
Post that same U.S. Census webpage within your next comment. I want to review the webpage that you researched those 2010 statistics? Unless you played with the numbers?

Talking about playing with numbers, look at what I found about the U.S. Census count , Just click on the link below to view:
Why the U.S. Census Misreads Hispanic and Arab Americans - TIME

So where is the accuracy that you've been commenting about?

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-16-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Actually, the U.S. Census data does not have the exact percentages of every nationality population in a specific neighborhood so unless someone that works for the U.S. Census have access to that inside information, there is now way to see what nationality is the majority in East Williamsburg or any other neighborhood. You have personally to visit the entire East Williamsburg on a hot Saturday afternoon (when the majority of the Puertoricans are outside) to know that the two 2013 youtube video clips and the three 2013 webpages I've posted in my previous comments are total facts about East Williamsburg being predominantly(50%+) Puertorican.
It doesn't? How come I was able to calculate the exact percentages then?

Quote:
Post that same U.S. Census webpage within your next comment. I want to review the webpage that you researched those 2010 statistics? Unless you played with the numbers?

Talking about playing with numbers, look at what I found about the U.S. Census count , Just click on the link below to view:
Why the U.S. Census Misreads Hispanic and Arab Americans - TIME

So where is the accuracy that you've been commenting about?
What's the matter? You don't know how to click on a hyperlink? But I'm curious as to what nonsense you'll post next, so I'll repost them even though I posted them once before.
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com (Zoom into East Williamsburg and click on the tracts)
Hispanic Origins Across NYC | WNYC (Again, zoom into East Williamsburg and click on the tracts)

That article has nothing to do with what we're talking about. It doesn't say that the family given in the example was prevented from putting down that they were Puerto Rican. It just says that they don't like being categorized as black or white, and want a seperate racial category. But they're still counted as Puerto Ricans.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It doesn't? How come I was able to calculate the exact percentages then?

What's the matter? You don't know how to click on a hyperlink? But I'm curious as to what nonsense you'll post next, so I'll repost them even though I posted them once before.
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com (Zoom into East Williamsburg and click on the tracts)
Hispanic Origins Across NYC | WNYC (Again, zoom into East Williamsburg and click on the tracts)

That article has nothing to do with what we're talking about. It doesn't say that the family given in the example was prevented from putting down that they were Puerto Rican. It just says that they don't like being categorized as black or white, and want a seperate racial category. But they're still counted as Puerto Ricans.
Those are two cool webpages to check out (excluding the statistics unaccuracy), thanks for sharing. But the last article that I've posted actually states that those Puertoricans that tell their Census Bureau Worker that they are Puertoricans are counted as Puertoricans but those Puertoricans that does not tell the Census Bureau Worker that they are Puertorican, the Census Bureau Worker will put down a race on the count based on what color the Census Bureau Worker observe on the Puertoricans they're interviewing.

For example: If he/she is a dark skin Puertorican (Afro-Rican), the Census Bureau Worker will put Black on the count, if he/she is a light skin Puertorican (Spanish), the Census Bureau Worker will put White on the count, if he/she is an Indian skin with straight hair Puertorican (Taino), the Census Bureau Worker will put Native American on the count, if he/she is a light skin with oriental eyes Puertorican (Chinkee Eyes), the Census Bureau Worker will put Asian on the count (unless he/she tells the Census Bureau Worker that he/she is Puertorican, he/she will be counted as whatever race he/she looks like to the Census Bureau Worker and not all of the Puertoricans will say that they are Puertorican because the Census Bureau Worker will ask them if he/she is Black, White, Native American, Pacific Islander or Asian instead of asking for their nationality).

So there are Puertoricans in the Hispanic, Black, White, Asian and Native American count within East Williamsburg and all other neighborhoods nationwide. You still don't have enough proof that East Williamsburg is not predominantly (more than half of the overall population) Puertorican, nice try though. What other incomplete and irrational statistics do you have available to bring to the thread as another attempt to support your percentage calculations as completely accurate other than incomplete and irrational statistics?

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-16-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City