Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 55,973 times

Advertisements

I'm one of three female college students going crazy looking for an affordable apartment before school starts. We found one we like on St. Nicholas Ave bet. W 131st and 132nd St. It's right across the street from St Nicholas Park and right along the ABCD line. But when I called the police precinct they said to stay west of the park, closer to City College. Please tell me your thoughts on a safe neighborhood in Harlem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 PM

202 posts, read 686,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybeary View Post
I'm one of three female college students going crazy looking for an affordable apartment before school starts. We found one we like on St. Nicholas Ave bet. W 131st and 132nd St. It's right across the street from St Nicholas Park and right along the ABCD line. But when I called the police precinct they said to stay west of the park, closer to City College. Please tell me your thoughts on a safe neighborhood in Harlem?
For me, that neighborhood is a little iffy. I think you should walk around there and get a feel for it. Go during the day and night and see for yourself. Harlem is nowhere near as bad as it was 20 years ago. But,it's not perfect.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks for your reply, Whatitdo. We're going back today to look at the apartment again, but with the rain it might not be a true representation!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Unfortunately, I lived exactly there for a number of years. The neighborhood is indeed quite iffy, if deceptively so - it does not look so bad. But even for Central Harlem, it is definitely not good. Keep in mind that most of the buildings between 129th and 135th are social service buildings, housing former indigents, drug rehab, sex offenders, ex-cons - but those who would also be homeless without this social service housing. The involved "organizations" do little to manage their populations other than post signs forbidding hanging out on the steps - which residents ignore. I think there are only three buildings open to regular rentals. One I would avoid no matter what, so I hope this is not your building of consideration. The other is owned by a company that is known as a bit of a slum lord, but I do not have direct experience. And you would still have the neighborhood. FD Blvd. is another contributing factor, and the proximity of the projects there as well.

The bigger problem is that the residents, both social service housing-types and others, are extremely hostile to "newcomers." To put it mildly. You can make your own decision there, the level of harassment you can tolerate and so on. There were a number of cases that involved arrests for harassment and I cannot imagine that this has changed so much. If you have a less PC broker, i.e., a more honest broker, s/he will tell you this. It is now widely known.

Convent, to the west, is vastly better. Some of the side streets are not good, but any would be better than St. Nicholas.

The awful building I mentioned has not been able to keep tenants - the old super and his cronies harass people out of the units, and if you complain about the lack of hot water (among other issues ! many) the landlord will encourage them to get rid of you. That's what you are talking about on those blocks. I experienced this first hand and met other people who had experienced the same.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
I remember i dated a girl who use to live near that area. At night, that park becomes a zoo. A lot of thugs/drug dealers/sketchy people. If you decide to live there expect a lot of catcalls and harrassment. You should walk around the area at night on a Friday and Saturday night. How much are you 3 willing to spend on an APT?

Last edited by Mr. Klato; 08-14-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
I remember i dated a girl who use to live near that area. At night, that park becomes a zoo. A lot of thugs/drug dealers/sketchy people. If you decide to leave there expect a lot of catcalls and harrassment. You should walk around the area at night on a Friday and Saturday night. How much are you 3 willing to spend on an APT?
I agree, and wanted to point out that I am talking about additional harassment ... not the street kind attached to being female. I meant harassment directed at making your life a living hell because they do not want certain sorts of people living there. They probably see this as "political."

Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
I live not too far from where the OP mentioned and while my area is decent, I would probably not recommend 131st/132nd by the park....I've never really felt comfortable over there.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM

REALLY appreciate the feedback. Thank you all

Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
REALLY appreciate the feedback. Thank you all
One more suggestion, given that there are three of you, you might consider St. Nicholas Terrace above 129th. I have heard that the building on the corner of 128th is not good. But higher up there are often huge apartments with quite decent rents. The Terrace is not great, kind of a continuation of St. Nicholas, but this is changing closer to City College, and this will change a great deal I think in the coming years. It is separated from the 'hood by the park, most of the buildings are owned by developers who are just waiting things out.

Or the side streets between the Terrace and Convent, I know that there are places with rentals now. Convent is quite different.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Saint Nicolas Ave and 135th seems very safe and upcoming, in the day and at night. Yes there a few public housing buildings but the people keep to themselves. You will see people hanging out like you do in other inner city boroughs. To be honest, I really don't know why you guys are giving a negative vibe about this area. This has got to be one of the best areas in Harlem. Anything east of 7th avenue I can understand, but Saint Nicolas Park? City College campus? Really? In fact there are about 5 luxury condos in this area. If anything this will be a great area in 5-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City