Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Shorehaven was a great time during the summer when I was a kid. I understand they built the prefab condos/ townhomes but what a shame that old beach club got torn down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is a shame the beachclub was torn down..but I can see a new beach facility open at some point in the future (one can dream!).
I went to Orchard Beach myself..it was much closer. From what I know, Shore Haven had seen its heyday and declined. People went elsewhere. The beach house itself fell into disrepair and ended up being a real eyesore to everyone. I remember that shell of a beachhouse when my mother and I checked out the condos. Can't comment on what Shorehaven was (I'll definitely take y'all's word for it), but I really like what they've done with the waterfront now. That RE development project was actually something that was good for the area as a whole. There's a promenade by the water and some of the most breathtaking city views I've seen. They also opened up an amenity center with a pool and a clubhouse. If I were to move back, I'd check out a place there, definitely. The commute sucks, though...two carfare zone.

The Bronx has some really nice waterfront. Castle Hill Ave has been built on too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Here is an insider tip about shorehaven: It is very cheaply constructed (surprise), with walls paper thin and neighbors hearing eachother pee. You will also enjoy planes flying very low over your house 16 hours a day, every 45 seconds, heading into Laguardia. You already know about the 2 fare zone (bus + train), which makes the commute extremely long and arduous.

Besides that, it does look nice, has nice city views, and is a welcome addition to the community.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Here is an insider tip about shorehaven: It is very cheaply constructed (surprise), with walls paper thin and neighbors hearing eachother pee. You will also enjoy planes flying very low over your house 16 hours a day, every 45 seconds, heading into Laguardia. You already know about the 2 fare zone (bus + train), which makes the commute extremely long and arduous.

Besides that, it does look nice, has nice city views, and is a welcome addition to the community.
Heh, my insider - aka mom - lives there and I visit every year. Has been living there for 16 years. The newer units are/were definitely constructed on the cheap. I can point out all of the construction defects; however, the older units (ones built when the development started) are of much better quality. The older units aren't as attractive externally as the newer ones, but they were just built better, IMO. Beechwood builds crap most of the time and thinks offering wood floors and granite countertops will make it all better. It's only the older units I'd be interested in.

I like that it's gated, remote, private. The downside for me is the travel time and lack of express bus. Nearby amenities are lacking (i.e. it'd be nice to not have to go to the Key Food on Story/Bruckner for your groceries. Having a car is a definitely suggested if you live in Shorehaven!)

Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 AM

84 posts, read 145,157 times
Cool My point of my last comment is

Actually, the 50% Puertorican ethnic neighborhood population facts that I've posted are a reply to checkmatechamp13. To SobroGuy: Show some respect for Puertoricans because we are a population of over 1,000,000 strong in NYC alone (we live on every block all over NYC) and you don't want to have a bad conscious in your mind/heart everytime you'll constantly see us every single day because it would affect you psychologically, knowing that you posted negative comments about us online. If you think that us Puertoricans are infestation to NYCHA, feel privileged to visit one the predominantly Puertorican housing projects that I've previously mentioned and you will see that we are all good, clean and decent tenants/civilized members of society that are either disabled, elderly and/or working class (No bad hygiene/odors, rats, roaches, bedbugs, bad attitudes). I don't need to post the population percentages of other ethnic groups in NYC, look it up yourself in google.com

In Puertorico, there are towns in which we call them "Campos" and there are cities in which we call them "Barrios" and you will not find any "Campos" in Hunt's Point, Loisaida or East Williamsburg because these are "Barrios" where there are apartment buildings like the "Barrios" in Puertorico. It cost more than $300 for a roundtrip ticket to Puertorico, so you have a choice to visit us. See us at no cost in one of our NYC "Barrios" during the summer or spend more than $300 see us in the island.

Oh, let me accommodate you with an invitation to a beautiful predominantly Puertorican beach in the historical Boogie Down Bronx called "Orchard Beach" where there are live salsa concerts every Sunday from 12pm - 6pm all summer long (if you don't like Salsa, just put on earplugs and enjoy the view) but please don't look at our women in a lustful manner because you will be an infestation and a nuisance to us Puertoricans right in Orchard Beach. The BX 12 bus will take you there just in case you cannot afford a car and/or a taxi. Enjoy.

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-12-2013 at 01:37 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Heh, my insider - aka mom - lives there and I visit every year. Has been living there for 16 years. The newer units are/were definitely constructed on the cheap. I can point out all of the construction defects; however, the older units (ones built when the development started) are of much better quality. The older units aren't as attractive externally as the newer ones, but they were just built better, IMO. Beechwood builds crap most of the time and thinks offering wood floors and granite countertops will make it all better. It's only the older units I'd be interested in.

I like that it's gated, remote, private. The downside for me is the travel time and lack of express bus. Nearby amenities are lacking (i.e. it'd be nice to not have to go to the Key Food on Story/Bruckner for your groceries. Having a car is a definitely suggested if you live in Shorehaven!)
I agree with both your posts. Beechwood built some stuff out in the Rockaway's. Shoddy inferior stuff. In terms of the old beach club, yeah as crowds waned so did the condition of the club.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM

134 posts, read 251,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
Actually, the 50% Puertorican ethnic neighborhood population facts that I've posted are a reply to checkmatechamp13. To SobroGuy: Show some respect for Puertoricans because we are a population of over 1,000,000 strong in NYC alone (we live on every block all over NYC) and you don't want to have a bad conscious in your mind/heart everytime you'll constantly see us every single day because it would affect you psychologically, knowing that you posted negative comments about us online. If you think that us Puertoricans are infestation to NYCHA, feel privileged to visit one the predominantly Puertorican housing projects that I've previously mentioned and you will see that we are all good, clean and decent tenants/civilized members of society that are either disabled, elderly and/or working class (No bad hygiene/odors, rats, roaches, bedbugs, bad attitudes). I don't need to post the population percentages of other ethnic groups in NYC, look it up yourself in google.com

In Puertorico, there are towns in which we call them "Campos" and there are cities in which we call them "Barrios" and you will not find any "Campos" in Hunt's Point, Loisaida or East Williamsburg because these are "Barrios" where there are apartment buildings like the "Barrios" in Puertorico. It cost more than $300 for a roundtrip ticket to Puertorico, so you have a choice to visit us. See us at no cost in one of our NYC "Barrios" during the summer or spend more than $300 see us in the island.

Oh, let me accommodate you with an invitation to a beautiful predominantly Puertorican beach in the historical Boogie Down Bronx called "Orchard Beach" where there are live salsa concerts every Sunday from 12pm - 6pm all summer long (if you don't like Salsa, just put on earplugs and enjoy the view) but please don't look at our women in a lustful manner because you will be an infestation and a nuisance to us Puertoricans right in Orchard Beach. The BX 12 bus will take you there just in case you cannot afford a car and/or a taxi. Enjoy.
Sobroguy is actually from The South Bronx lives in Mott Haven and is of Puerto Rican descent by the way.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Thank you Boliqua. And for those reading this thread, take note that there is a reason why they are called Nuyorican, and not simply Puerto Ricans here in NYC. There is a difference in the population, culture, lifestyle...so going to these neighborhoods (with the exception of Clason Point/Harding Park) is nothing like PR, unless you choose to hang out in the housing projects of PR!

Also, I do NOT recommend going to Orchard Beach any weekend during the summer, as it is a very sad group of low-lives who have turned this great beach into their own private party, and have no concern or respect for others. Thankfully they have instituted "quiet" sections of the beach where you can now enjoy a small sliver of the beach without the nonstop blasting of earsplitting music from every direction. However, it is a great place to visit from October through May!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times
As an example, Nuyoricans don't wanna sell Medalla.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 AM

They don't even want to drink it...you can go to the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, an historic institution in the LES for decades, and they don't sell it..but they do sell Presidente (Dominican) and Corona (Mexican) beers! I asked the owner why he can sell all these other beers and not Medalla, and he became very angry about the question (or "animated"), and said it has nothing to do with him or the Nuyorican culture, so if you want it go to PR! And that was that...and if you go to any bodega they don't sell it...in PR however it is sold everywhere.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,281 times
Quote:
They don't even want to drink it...you can go to the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, an historic institution in the LES for decades, and they don't sell it..but they do sell Presidente (Dominican) and Corona (Mexican) beers! I asked the owner why he can sell all these other beers and not Medalla, and he became very angry about the question (or "animated"), and said it has nothing to do with him or the Nuyorican culture, so if you want it go to PR! And that was that...and if you go to any bodega they don't sell it...in PR however it is sold everywhere.
Now that's what I can an "uppity" response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City