Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Wow The city was very racially segregated back in 1990, much much more so then today. I lost count on the amount of 95+% white areas where in the city back then. The census tract I live in was over 98% white back then [It's around 75% now].
Yes, it was. IMO, the period between 1980 - 1990 is what made a lot of people decide to leave. A lot of people left after 9/11 also.

Again, let me reiterate the age of people in NYC. Some of the loss of population is due to the net births/deaths. Long-term white people in NYC are older, and the population isn't growing from births as much as other racial/ethnic groups, so despite the influx of young whites, the numbers aren't growing as fast.

Interesting comment from someone about movement trends of Puerto Ricans with college degrees. I have no data but looking at my high school alumni list, the majority of Puerto Ricans from my years (the late 70s - early 80s) have left NYC completely. Many went to Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey. Out of town, they've gone to DC Metro and some to Texas.

Now again, realize the time frame. A lot of them grew up in housing projects and they became adults at the height of the crack era. They left and had families, and stayed out. I left but being single, I did not have the fears they had about raising kids here, so I came back.

There's more to the numbers than meets the eye. You should ask more questions to those of us who actually lived through changes. We could shed a lot of light on things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Yes the movement out of the city has slowed, as it has slowed in most areas of the country as people are unable to move or cautious about moving overall. It is less about PR and more about national trend...HOWEVER there is nothing to indicate movement has stopped....and it has simply slowed for the reasons I stated. The central florida population of PRs is already on par with NYC's PR population...and there is no evidence to state that trend is reversing or stopping, however it has slowed due to the economy. When the economy picks up, the trend will resume and PRs will continue to exit NYC as a whole, as they have been for decades.

It has nothing to do with any particular neighborhood, as the NET is leaving NYC. I could care less that 10,000 more PRs moved to Forest Hills, Queens (hypothetical) when 50,000 have left from Jackson Heights....= a net 40,000 loss...get it? They are leaving NYC, and that's no more "my opinion" than the fact that Dominicans and Mexicans are growing in NYC and PRs will soon be eclipsed by Dominicans, and not just in numbers but inevitably political power.

It's a normal progression by the way, and PRs are a maturing population following the same movement out of NYC as every other group. Central Florida will be the political and economic center for the population by 2020...and that's just not my "guess" it is based on the trends. Believe it.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,054,429 times
Sobroguy, you keep mentioning Dominicans as eventually surpassing Puerto Ricans, which is an incorrect statement. Dominican migration has basically stopped, or at most, "slowed down to a trickle". There are less Dominicans coming than Puerto Ricans nowadays, so if anyone is going to take over, it is Mexicans. What may appear to be an increasing migration from the Dominican into other areas of the Bronx is actually city Dominicans leaving their strongholds in upper manhattan and moving to the cheaper south Bronx.

Alot of Domincans are also moving out of the city, into Pennsylvania and Orlando. Some are even making their way to Chicago.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 AM

My information is from an article as recently as last year:

The Puerto Rican Population Of New York Is On The Verge Of Being Eclipsed By Dominicans | Fox News Latino

"The Dominican population, for one, has exploded since 1990. Back then, there were 332,713 Quisqueyanos in New York City, according to the Census; today, the American Community Survey puts that number at 592,456."
There is no doubt that the Dominican population, like the PR population, are not moving out (or in) as much because of the economy, like everyone else, but the trend hasn't changed. There is no doubt Mexicans are making major gains: "There are about 305,000 Mexicans in the city". The gap is still very large for Mexicans to eclipse anyone...Dominicans are close to overtaking PRs and will do that by 2020, unless something dramatic happens...we shall see.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It's a normal progression by the way, and PRs are a maturing population following the same movement out of NYC as every other group. Central Florida will be the political and economic center for the population by 2020...and that's just not my "guess" it is based on the trends. Believe it.
Maybe. Things happen that change everything, though. I've lived through things that I never thought would happen.

Question: Where else besides NYC and PR (mainland) are Puerto Ricans in Central Florida coming from?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Probably Chicago and other Northeastern states like Massachusetts and Connecticut. They are following the same general movement out of rustbelt, colder climate cities to the sunbelt. It is no different than any other maturing population.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times
Ok sobro... again like i said theres no point debating with you... youll come up with some farfetched response for everything... youre right though soon as this economy picks up in nyc while other cities continue to struggle all us puertorican folk are gonna pack our bags and move out... we're tired of the low crime rates, job opportunities, and excitement this city has to offer... despite all that talk about Puerto Ricans and Black folk coming back and how the declining rates for both continue to drop as opposed to late 90searly 2000s... we all hate this city and cant wait to leave it soon as this economy gets back into shape... thanks for clarifying...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Sobroguy, you keep mentioning Dominicans as eventually surpassing Puerto Ricans, which is an incorrect statement. Dominican migration has basically stopped, or at most, "slowed down to a trickle". There are less Dominicans coming than Puerto Ricans nowadays, so if anyone is going to take over, it is Mexicans. What may appear to be an increasing migration from the Dominican into other areas of the Bronx is actually city Dominicans leaving their strongholds in upper manhattan and moving to the cheaper south Bronx.

Alot of Domincans are also moving out of the city, into Pennsylvania and Orlando. Some are even making their way to Chicago.
No supermario you don't understand... sobroguy is always right... he speaks the gospel... we have no idea what we're saying... As he so eloquently told me... I'm just a section 8 welfare moocher that has no idea what I'm talking about... That's how people with a legitimate point debate others... they use insignificant idiotic insults like children... We're just not at that level yet...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM

Nobody is saying anything about EVERYONE leaving, however the TREND is a net migration out of the city to places like Florida. It is not about hating the city, it's about a natural migration from NYC outward to the rest of country like every population before us. We are not the first to leave NYC, and won't be the last.

Show me the trend that PRs are moving back to NYC from across the country and I will gladly agree with you. It isn't happening and there is no evidence to show that it will happen..the trend out of NYC continues, just like whites continue to exit NYC, and blacks as well. I don't speak the gospel for the record, you do remember? You wear the suit and stand in front of the train station praising Jesus (I mean "Hay-seuss").

And I never called you a section 8 welfare moocher that doesn't know what you are talking about...cite your sources showing we are moving back to NYC.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say I am stereotypical, yes, for better or worse. As for when you should move, you must first get your section 8 voucher approved to transfer to another state. Then we can discuss a timeframe. =)
and you're own link which spoke about the decrease in the population nearly halting from 00-09 when the pop. was still migrating out of the city in droves during the early to mid 2000s should logically tell you everything you need to know... but you're so enveloped in your little world of mott haven that you assume that because Puerto Ricans are moving out of your hood they are all leaving the city...

pretty naive way of thinking... btw, when you were on your break from city-data we were actually having some productive conversations without the insults... whenever you feel the need to take a break from city-data again... please.. don't hesitate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City