Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM

49 posts, read 235,699 times

Advertisements

Probably the largest aside from Puerto Rico itself. They are also in the North East as well, but there are more dominicans there. I think there are more dominicans than Puerto Ricans in this country if you compare the two nationalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatanabe View Post
Probably the largest aside from Puerto Rico itself. They are also in the North East as well, but there are more dominicans there. I think there are more dominicans than Puerto Ricans in this country if you compare the two nationalities.
No. The Puerto Rican population in the US far outnumbers the Dominican population.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatanabe View Post
They can come and go at will, we can't.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Puerto Ricans have been migrating out of NYC for decades now, and we all know this. They are following the same pattern as every other immigrant ethnic group in NYC..leaving for better opportunities across the country (Manifest Destiny remember), and settling in places like Pennsylvania, Florida, and Texas.

Those from the Island are no longer coming here, and instead are opting for the sunbelt, specifically Florida. The landscape of Central Florida is now becoming ground zero for working/middle class PR professionals at all levels from the metropolitan area as well as the island.

There is still a sizeable presence in NYC, but their numbers are waning, as is their clout. Sure there are many that are remaining in the city and are populating former Italian/Irish strongholds like Pelham Parkway, Throggs Neck, Morris Park etc, but only because the Italians/Irish are moving on, just like those before them. Basically the remaining PRs are holding their own in the East Bronx (from Pelham Bay down to Mott Haven), with Dominicans dominating the West Bronx (central and northern Concourse areas).

I think alot of the Dominican expansion into the East Bronx community is stymied due to the changing housing stock..aka single/2/3 family homes in the East Bronx versus the tenement rental building which dominate the West Bronx. It takes income, savings, and intergenerational wealth to buy these homes and into these communities, and with prices still escalating, it is making it very difficult for newer immigrants to buy in NYC, even the Bronx. So while they dominate in the tenement buildings of the West Bronx, they have essentially been halted from moving East due, IMO, to the change of housing (you gotta buy $$$$).

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Puerto Ricans have been migrating out of NYC for decades now, and we all know this. They are following the same pattern as every other immigrant ethnic group in NYC..leaving for better opportunities across the country (Manifest Destiny remember), and settling in places like Pennsylvania, Florida, and Texas.

Those from the Island are no longer coming here, and instead are opting for the sunbelt, specifically Florida. The landscape of Central Florida is now becoming ground zero for working/middle class PR professionals at all levels from the metropolitan area as well as the island.

There is still a sizeable presence in NYC, but their numbers are waning, as is their clout. Sure there are many that are remaining in the city and are populating former Italian/Irish strongholds like Pelham Parkway, Throggs Neck, Morris Park etc, but only because the Italians/Irish are moving on, just like those before them. Basically the remaining PRs are holding their own in the East Bronx (from Pelham Bay down to Mott Haven), with Dominicans dominating the West Bronx (central and northern Concourse areas).

I think alot of the Dominican expansion into the East Bronx community is stymied due to the changing housing stock..aka single/2/3 family homes in the East Bronx versus the tenement rental building which dominate the West Bronx. It takes income, savings, and intergenerational wealth to buy these homes and into these communities, and with prices still escalating, it is making it very difficult for newer immigrants to buy in NYC, even the Bronx. So while they dominate in the tenement buildings of the West Bronx, they have essentially been halted from moving East due, IMO, to the change of housing (you gotta buy $$$$).
Welcome back.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I have been super busy over the past few weeks..I am purchasing another property and some land in the community, and the deal has grown increasingly complex and time consuming. But in the end, (fingers crossed) it will be a big plus and new amenity coming soon to the Southern Bronx...I should know more soon.

As for this specific topic, I came across this article which I think tells the story quite well:

More Puerto Ricans in States than on Island | Suite101.com

Some things to note:

1. For the first time, there are more people of Puerto Rican origin living within the continental United States than there are on the Caribbean island, according to experts who study demographic trends.

2. From 1990 to 2008, they found that, the Puerto Rican population in the New York metropolitan area (not just NYC remember) remained constant at 1.2 million, while it grew in most other locations – tripling in Florida to 744,000 and growing by 1 million across the rest of the country.

3. Central Florida has become a gateway for migration from the island. In Orlando, they report, Puerto Ricans represent 49% of the Hispanic population and 11% of the population overall.

4. Puerto Ricans in Florida have higher household income and education levels than Puerto Ricans living in other parts of the country or on the island. Another characteristic noted among Puerto Ricans in Florida is that more households contain families with children, rather than single mothers with children, which suggests a more stable community structure.

Which all tells me that the economic and political power of PRs is clearly shifting to Central Florida specifically, and is already as large as the NYC population, and will probably be as large as the entire NY Metropolitan area's PR population by 2020.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
4. Puerto Ricans in Florida have higher household income and education levels than Puerto Ricans living in other parts of the country or on the island. Another characteristic noted among Puerto Ricans in Florida is that more households contain families with children, rather than single mothers with children, which suggests a more stable community structure.

Which all tells me that the economic and political power of PRs is clearly shifting to Central Florida specifically, and is already as large as the NYC population, and will probably be as large as the entire NY Metropolitan area's PR population by 2020.
This is what I've observed as well.

Would you say that, generally speaking, the middle class Puerto Rican community is leaving more than staying in NYC? I know that there is some in-migration (i.e., from one neigborhood to another) but overall, are moves out, as they have been with the black,African-American middle class?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
This is what I've observed as well.

Would you say that, generally speaking, the middle class Puerto Rican community is leaving more than staying in NYC? I know that there is some in-migration (i.e., from one neigborhood to another) but overall, are moves out, as they have been with the black,African-American middle class?
I would think that the numbers should tell you the exact opposite... We are now seeing Puerto Ricans move in and have strong numbers in a large amount of middle class areas... Sobroguy mentioned some of the areas in the Bronx where this has already happened but they have moved into many areas in Brooklyn and Queens as well... Areas like Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge have seen a surge in the Puerto Rican population in recent years and in Queens areas like Maspeth, Glendale, eastern end of Ridgewood, Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Forest Hills, Rego Park and a number of other areas have all seen growth in the Puerto Rican population

This is why while I agree with sobroguy that the migration of Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico moving to the city has slowed down (I disagree that it's halted completely because I still see a few moving into NYC either for family purposes or because they are already stable and can afford to move into middle class areas in NYC) the population will never fully die out but remain as is or if anything diminish or grow only slightly...

The ones that were moving out during that migration out of NYC from 90-08 (or 06', 07' as some have said) were the working middle class who lived in bad areas or working class areas across the board... Those who lived in poverty for a long time and were tired of it along with the crime decided to move to greener pastures down south... That being said, the majority of them didn't leave but rather spread themselves across the city and have now become a significant presence in a number of other neighborhoods as opposed to being isolated in poverty within a select few...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
For what it's worth,I have a few native Bx PR colleagues who moved out of NYC in the 90's( to PA ,NJ and upstate) who are now all moving back to The Bx.They have decided that the grass wasn't as green as they thought and are sick of 2 hour commutes.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The ones that were moving out during that migration out of NYC from 90-08 (or 06', 07' as some have said) were the working middle class who lived in bad areas or working class areas across the board... Those who lived in poverty for a long time and were tired of it along with the crime decided to move to greener pastures down south... That being said, the majority of them didn't leave but rather spread themselves across the city and have now become a significant presence in a number of other neighborhoods as opposed to being isolated in poverty within a select few...
I agree with you. I attended a presentation on the changing demographic of NYC and it was mentioned that Puerto Ricans "suburbanize" within the city limits as they move up the economic scale. They specifically mentioned the Puerto Rican migration into many of the neighborhoods you mentioned.

I wish the African-American middle class would find a way to stay as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City