Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 PM

11 posts, read 19,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ nooyowkur81 it's not that... read supermario's comment to understand the reaction the OP is having... she went thru decent areas and then made a judgement about the whole neighborhood of the Bronx... We're not saying that the Bronx hasn't improved but to say that these areas aren't as bad because she went through the good part of the Bronx and didn't find it so bad is a little naive... And @ sobro I've been to many different parts of Florida and i'll give you maybe one or two areas being on par with the worst NYC has to offer but West Palm Beach florida is not one of them... And FYI, the way a neighborhood looks isn't always an indicator of how bad it is... I've been to areas in california where you'd think you were in Fresh Meadows, Queens or Flushing and these areas are some of the worst california has to offer... So just going on the eye test shouldn't be a decide all for you is all I'm saying... The Bronx this year has seemed to actually take a step back in terms of crime especially violent crime so to say that now when so many are suffering from the effects of crime in this borough is a ignorant...

wrong. this further proves your ignorance to that you keep addressing me as a girl when i stated i had a girlfriend who lived in manhattan!! though it could be a lesbian relationship but that's beside the point. anyway what i am saying was that i saw a part of the bronx i never really knew of or been through and it was a eye opener kind of because of all the horrific things i heard about the bronx. secondly, whats wrong with me saying something positive? saying i could see myself living there? saying its a liveable place? after being in some really bad run down areas of florida that look like 3rd world countries, i can see myself surviving in the bronx without a doubt.

jeez. haters gonna hate though.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vingeance View Post
oh please. your just another hater of the bronx

you guys are not getting what i am saying. if you bothered to read instead of getting upset that the bronx is getting some good recognition than maybe you would understand what i am saying. i've been to really rough areas of the bronx when i was younger because i had relatives there but when i went bike riding i saw another part of the bronx which i really never knew much about. what i am saying is that the bronx is actually yes not that bad at all, i like it! i could live and survive there. i lived in west palm beach florida and if you might think its all nice but believe me its terrible! i feel much safer in the bronx than where i was. i am positive the bronx has some sketchy areas but so does supthin blvd in queens where i used to live before i moved to florida! god some of you just really hate the bronx
The emboldened part is the quote I was referring to... And to your point with the videos... Any video that shows the worst a neighborhood has to offer can be just as bad with any place and doesn't prove one hood is tougher than another hood which is what I figured you were doing in the first place... downplaying NYC crime just like every hood in the country enjoys doing as well...

These are for you enjoy

South Bronx posted Nov 2010 unlike the videos you showed which looked to be at least 5 years old when you wouldn't even have to make videos about the South Bronx because people knew what it was about...

New York : South Bronx (Mott Haven) - YouTube

Harlem (about as old as the video you posted)

Most Dangerous Neighborhood In New York...Harlem - YouTube

The neighborhood I grew up in that puts West Palm Beach hoods to shame Brownsville/East NY Oct 2010

Brownsville Brooklyn N.Y Crips (C-ZUP) - YouTube

So I ask you again whats your point... Notice I didn't disagree or even comment on your post until you mentioned the emboldened part... I agree with everything you said and to be honest it really was a little naive to believe that the WHOLE ENTIRE BOROUGH of the Bronx would be a hellhole... But most of the areas you mentioned are some of the nicest areas in the borough from 30 years ago on to this day just like about 90% of West Palm Beach is decent but it still has its hoods just like every other big city or decent sized city... I'm not trying to take away from the Bronx but when you downplay the crime of these still high crime areas to (In what seems to be the case) try to hype the crime in your old hood of Florida, someone has to speak up for what is the reality for probably 50% or more of the borough...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
OP, I really don't see why you can't understand that you initially posted that you rode through some consistently nice areas that have been than way for a long time. Then proceeded to come off like the entire borough is like that. That is the only thing that people have been pointing out to you. Take it easy.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The emboldened part is the quote I was referring to... And to your point with the videos... Any video that shows the worst a neighborhood has to offer can be just as bad with any place and doesn't prove one hood is tougher than another hood which is what I figured you were doing in the first place... downplaying NYC crime just like every hood in the country enjoys doing as well...

These are for you enjoy

South Bronx posted Nov 2010 unlike the videos you showed which looked to be at least 5 years old when you wouldn't even have to make videos about the South Bronx because people knew what it was about...

New York : South Bronx (Mott Haven) - YouTube

Harlem (about as old as the video you posted)

Most Dangerous Neighborhood In New York...Harlem - YouTube

The neighborhood I grew up in that puts West Palm Beach hoods to shame Brownsville/East NY Oct 2010

Brownsville Brooklyn N.Y Crips (C-ZUP) - YouTube

So I ask you again whats your point... Notice I didn't disagree or even comment on your post until you mentioned the emboldened part... I agree with everything you said and to be honest it really was a little naive to believe that the WHOLE ENTIRE BOROUGH of the Bronx would be a hellhole... But most of the areas you mentioned are some of the nicest areas in the borough from 30 years ago on to this day just like about 90% of West Palm Beach is decent but it still has its hoods just like every other big city or decent sized city... I'm not trying to take away from the Bronx but when you downplay the crime of these still high crime areas to (In what seems to be the case) try to hype the crime in your old hood of Florida, someone has to speak up for what is the reality for probably 50% or more of the borough...
you cant be irrational with outsiders, you have to be rational with them and let them and seek out the truth for themselves. Whats good is bad and for some whats bad is good for others. Different strokes for different folks. Thats my two cents.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vingeance View Post
oh please. your just another hater of the bronx

you guys are not getting what i am saying. if you bothered to read instead of getting upset that the bronx is getting some good recognition than maybe you would understand what i am saying. i've been to really rough areas of the bronx when i was younger because i had relatives there but when i went bike riding i saw another part of the bronx which i really never knew much about. what i am saying is that the bronx is actually yes not that bad at all, i like it! i could live and survive there. i lived in west palm beach florida and if you might think its all nice but believe me its terrible! i feel much safer in the bronx than where i was. i am positive the bronx has some sketchy areas but so does supthin blvd in queens where i used to live before i moved to florida! god some of you just really hate the bronx do you
You see this is what irks me. You were going just fine until you got to that part. I repeat, you went through a nice, safe, area of the Bronx. How the hell does that small area make the entire Bronx safe? Do you not understand the fallacy in your illogical statement?

Hey guys look! I'm riding through Bay Ridge..pstt Brooklyn is not so bad after all. LOL

The MAJORITY of the Bronx is sketchy to dangerous. The MAJORITY of
Queens is safe. You went through ONE area of the Bronx, that is not enough to say that you can live in the Bronx and that the Bronx is not that bad. The Bronx get's it's bad reputation because of uhh..THE BAD NEIGHBORHOODS, not no freaking safe little neighborhood. C'mon man. I invite you to get off the 183rd street stop on the 4 train. Stay outside and watch you cry home to mommy. You want to act hard and stuff? Then go to an actual hood and stop boasting that you can make it here, when in actuality many people lose their lives trying to get out of here.

I wonder how you would have reacted when the first time you take your girlfriend out on a date, you see the lifeless body of a man, lying dead on E 180th and Hughes in East Tremont, who you just saw alive and well the day before.

How you would have reacted when you come home to your building on W 183rd street in University Heights at 3 am in the morning, and as soon as you step into the lobby you are surrounded by teenagers offering you all kinds of drugs. You see heroin, crack, coke, marijuana, picked out of secret compartments and being shoved into your face.

I could go on.

West Palm Beach aint nothing. You try to make it seem so hard. Maybe I should bike ride down a nice suburban street filled with palm trees,proceed to get on city data, and brag about how safe it is.

Hunts Point as an example, if it where it's own city, would fall roughly into the top 5 in every single crime category in the US.

Mott Haven's robbery and assault rates would rank in among the worst in the country.

The Bronx is majority slummy, poor, and high crime. NO other borough can say that.

You should write this instead:

I passed through a nice neighborhood in the Bronx. I realized that the Bronx is not ENTIRELY bad, and I can live in THAT neighborhood with no problem.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon if you knew about West Palm, you would know those hoods are the kinds where you have dirty kids running around barefoot on the streets, with dilapidated housing and streetscapes more similar to Haiti than the US in some cases.

Nobody believes those neighborhoods are gems...not even me...but I do think some are still improving despite the economy like Mott Haven, and substantially in some cases, like Melrose and the Yankee Stadium area.
You don't see how ridiculous the OP sounds? He's using one neighborhood to conclude that the Bronx is a safe place. Cmon Guy, even you are more in tune with reality than that.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You see this is what irks me. You were going just fine until you got to that part. I repeat, you went through a nice, safe, area of the Bronx. How the hell does that small area make the entire Bronx safe? Do you not understand the fallacy in your illogical statement?

Hey guys look! I'm riding through Bay Ridge..pstt Brooklyn is not so bad after all. LOL

The MAJORITY of the Bronx is sketchy to dangerous. The MAJORITY of
Queens is safe. You went through ONE area of the Bronx, that is not enough to say that you can live in the Bronx and that the Bronx is not that bad. The Bronx get's it's bad reputation because of uhh..THE BAD NEIGHBORHOODS, not no freaking safe little neighborhood. C'mon man. I invite you to get off the 183rd street stop on the 4 train. Stay outside and watch you cry home to mommy. You want to act hard and stuff? Then go to an actual hood and stop boasting that you can make it here, when in actuality many people lose their lives trying to get out of here.

I wonder how you would have reacted when the first time you take your girlfriend out on a date, you see the lifeless body of a man, lying dead on E 180th and Hughes in East Tremont, who you just saw alive and well the day before.

How you would have reacted when you come home to your building on W 183rd street in University Heights at 3 am in the morning, and as soon as you step into the lobby you are surrounded by teenagers offering you all kinds of drugs. You see heroin, crack, coke, marijuana, picked out of secret compartments and being shoved into your face.

I could go on.

West Palm Beach aint nothing. You try to make it seem so hard. Maybe I should bike ride down a nice suburban street filled with palm trees,proceed to get on city data, and brag about how safe it is.

Hunts Point as an example, if it where it's own city, would fall roughly into the top 5 in every single crime category in the US.

Mott Haven's robbery and assault rates would rank in among the worst in the country.

The Bronx is majority slummy, poor, and high crime. NO other borough can say that.

You should write this instead:

I passed through a nice neighborhood in the Bronx. I realized that the Bronx is not ENTIRELY bad, and I can live in THAT neighborhood with no problem.
Lol majority of queens safw, that places is a rapist paradise like how brooklyn is a paradise for shooting and the bronx a paradis for muggings and assualts. The whole city is still dangerous, even if you live in safe, yuppie gentrified areas most likely you would be a victim of robbery or burglary. in front of my bosses building that he owns on 88 west end av a mercedes was stolen right in front of the doormans eyes, weeks ago dominican mexican drug ring was busted two buildings down from his and also two murders took place in thay vacinity. The only place in nyc thats safe is staten island due to being less dense.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-17-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol majority of queens safw, that places is a rapist paradise like how brooklyn is a paradise for shooting and the bronx a paradis for muggings and assualts.
You're going to deny that Queens crime statistics are actually very good?

Obviously there are parts that are sketchy, but those are relatively few and far in between.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Queens has the 2nd lowest crime out of the 5 boroughs so far this year, only Staten Island has less crime, and The Bronx has the highest, slightly surpassing Brooklyn.

Threads like this make me wish Hustla was still here.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Obviously there are parts that are sketchy, but those are relatively few and far in between.
Im not denying im just saying that place is a rapist paradise thats all. Also you have to understand queens neighborhoods is not a mix bag like bronx and some areas of bk. queens has many homogenous neighorhoods which look out for one another like the chinese in main street flushing or indians im jackson heights, or south americans in corona queens.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-17-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City