Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
LOL, Bro the average income in University Heights is WAY WAY WAY higher than it is in Mott Haven. Are you kidding me? BTW, I am a first generation Dominican, so no generational poverty here. Nobody here relies on public assistance, we work hard to pay our bills.

I never said the whole borough was crap. I am speaking for Bronx residents, most who live in a crappy neighborhood. The Bronx, in general, is more bad than good.
Lol i bet section8. I knew 4 Dominican women with families and they all in that hood that and are on section8. Bet then again its a home, it beats being out on the street.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-18-2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol i bet section8. I knew 4 dominican women in that hood that are on section8.
4 out of how many?

I have no reason to lie about this. I couldn't care less what you think. Your opinion doesn't matter, meanwhile your hood has everyone on section 8.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM

115 posts, read 306,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Mother of Jesus,I get so tired of these NY'ers who grew up in outer borough white ethnic enclaves and who have warped memories of their supposedly crime free "old neighborhoods" .

I have lived in 10 different NYC neighborhoods in 3 boroughs over a period of over 30 years and there is not one I ever lived in where this problem wasn't around.

In the 70's and 80's even in Manhattan they didn't just take a mirror or a tire,they would strip the whole car over night ....wheels, mirrors, batteries, doors,radios.....everything ! And then set the car on fire if they felt like it.

The fact is that there is much less of this type of crime everywhere in the city than there was back in the good old days.

I would agree however that there are far too many Escalades on the streets in Pelham Bay.They seem to be the car of choice there.Those kinds of cars are targets.

People who keep expensive cars on the streets in any neighborhood or in any city for that matter are stupid.At this point I'm sure word is out in the hoods that the streets of Pelham Bay are paved with Escalade parts !

If I were going to keep a car anywhere in NYC I would make sure it either wasn't a tempting target like an Escalade or I would keep it in a garage.That goes for Park Slope,Riverdale,UES,Bay Ridge.....anywhere.
I don't see how my memory is warped...I was just reporting how it is now because things like that really weren't so common around there 20 years ago. It was a huge deal when someone's car got stolen from my block in 1991--it just didn't happen. And it's not just nice cars getting stolen and parts taken off of. I had an old, rusty 1988 Camry stolen from the front of my house in 2005! Who would want such a piece of garbage car? I guess the crack pipe that was found in the front seat when it was recovered says it all. I am also well aware of how much worse the rest of the city can be and has been in the past. My comment was made more in response to people who still think Pelham Bay is such a nice crime-free area. It is a nice area...if you don't have a car and live in an apartment building with good security.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Car break ins happen everywhere in this city, in fact, they are usually the biggest crime in the nice areas. They are the biggest crime in my neighborhood, and one of my friends in Greenpoint got his car broken into a few months ago. In Bayside, it's pretty common aswell.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Car break ins happen everywhere in this city, in fact, they are usually the biggest crime in the nice areas. They are the biggest crime in my neighborhood, and one of my friends in Greenpoint got his car broken into a few months ago. In Bayside, it's pretty common aswell.
By one of my bosses rental propperties on the uws which is very affluent. A tenant had parked his mercedes outside the property. He left the engine on with the key in the ignition just to grab something upstairs real quickly. he came back downstairs and his mercedes was gone and the doorman saw the whole thing.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I honestly don't know how people park like really nice cars out on the street. For one people bump into them when they park then there is the fear of them getting jacked. It's either a normal used car for me or if I absolutely have to get a luxury car I'll park it in a garage or lot.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Another take is this. a couple of associates of mines drive or have driven luxuary cars and live in shaby parts of the city. one guy I know used to drive a merceded and he lived in washington hieghts in the 150s which is a rough area. Everyone thought he was a drug dealer because he was driving a really nice expensive car and no one would ever try to touch. Same for a girl I used to know who used to know who lived in university heights, she used to drive an audi luxury car. Everyone on her block assumed she was some sort of a dealer or maybe her signficant was a dealer. If youths who sat on the stoop of the tenements used to ask her can I watch your car in spanish. In the hood cars that,working class folks who can afford a toyotq or honda or chrysler will get jacked, jollopies and luxury cars will most likely be left alone. I dont live to far from hunts point, auto theft and break ins are a common occurance in mott haven. I see windshield glass on the sidewalk almost everyday.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon if you knew about West Palm, you would know those hoods are the kinds where you have dirty kids running around barefoot on the streets, with dilapidated housing and streetscapes more similar to Haiti than the US in some cases.

Nobody believes those neighborhoods are gems...not even me...but I do think some are still improving despite the economy like Mott Haven, and substantially in some cases, like Melrose and the Yankee Stadium area.
Sobro, melrose is partially nice. but i was in mott haven yesterday, and im sorry to say that place sucks. those buildings on 137th adjacent to killbrook are still boarded up. talk about 141th street those cats tryin to sell me heroine i said aint got money bro, he said its free for you today , next time i see you pay 10 dollarz extra. nice kid! and you sobro said that the building on st. anns and 141 street is being developed into some f$$king luxury homes. aint true the building is abanoded still today with the old mural RIP ferdinand painted in 1993.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
How foolish an introductory statement.

A good percentage of the neighborhoods in the Bronx have a high percentage of struggling people. This is an inarguable fact. The Bronx overall is run down by any standard, being part of a major city. However some areas are very run down since those that live there struggle financially. They do not receive the same level of city services. With poverty comes other social problems, crime is a big issue across the borough. Greater in particular areas then others.

Most of the Bronx has way too many social issues going on, and the bulk of it is very run down. An indisputable fact. The worst areas of the Bronx are as bad as the worst areas I have ever been. Same problems.

Not to say it doesn't have potential.The density and proximity to midtown in most neighborhoods has been attracting revitalization. There are also some solid nabes already located within the borough.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
There is no doubt that the Bronx, like other boroughs, has their share of social ills, some more than others. And yes it does have a higher percentage of struggling people...which has always been the case...it was never a high end borough, or attracted wealth..it was always working class at best and predominantly populated with the clearing of various slums throughout the city.

I can attest to the fact that we do not get the same level of city services, and there are different rules that apply here (or don't apply here)...which is why it has always been called "The Wild West" circa 1900's (here's a hint: it wasn't because everyone was good law abiding citizens!).

The borough has always had challenges, and this is nothing new. But much of the area has and is seeing substantial investment, and it does need a good polishing as many areas appear run down. But those changes are happening, and 2020 will see the borough in a completely different light, more mixed income, massive new developments online, and IMO it will be ready for mainstream appeal.

We shall see..but I can tell you that the city is making a significant investment to relandscape the borough (literally and figuratively) to a working/middle class enclave, and creating the homes/retail/transportation/services to accomodate that poulation. You can see it today, and once that reaches a critical density, the game will change. I am bullish on the borough, and if by 2020 it has not stepped up, then I don't think it ever will. The city really started pushing working class housing around the early 1990s, and that accelerated in the mid 2000s and has continued to accelerate, so if by 2020 the game hasn't changed, then it probably never will IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City