Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

That's life in NYC...there is no space. On the UES you will find towering housing projects along the waterfront, and million dollar condos facing them all around. And there are numerous examples of luxury housing and million dollar brownstones across the street or directly next door to destitute poverty. And that dichotomy is only increasing as development continues to expand to lower-income communities across the city.

Even I was taken aback at the Bronx Bricks condo development on 141st in Mott Haven, across the street from blocks and blocks of housing projects. They sold from $400K-$800K!!!!!!!!! Scary.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
The little space available there is develop in this city is often around the PJ's. Due to the way PJ's were built it is like that. Especially in Manhattan.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Mott Haven around 138th St is basically overrun with Mexicans and South Americans in general. While the old guard (Blacks and PRs) will apparently never leave the housing projects, much of the 5 story tenement buildings are filled to the brim with mexican families with 4+ kids. I have an 8 story railroad brownstone building next door to me, and every apt with the exception of 1 I believe, is jammed with tons of Mexicans....we are talking minimum 7 people to an apt...which is how things used to be back in the 50s and 60s when PRs were coming in huge numbers.

I find it odd that nobody complains about Mexicans "pushing out the locals", yet 2 white people show up and it becomes an attack/gentrification/they want to get rid of us. The reality is Mexicans are "displacing" residents in this community at a rate 1000000000 times that of whites, yet nobody says a word. Gotta love it.
I wonder why, maybe because the MExicans cook and deliver your food!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
They do much more than that...they do everything with little to no training. They are the Macguyvers of the real world: Give them a hammer, chewing gum, and a towel, and they will make dinner for 8, patch the roof, and write 3 hit songs..all in the same day!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM

168 posts, read 523,619 times
Quote:
That's life in NYC...there is no space. On the UES you will find towering housing projects along the waterfront, and million dollar condos facing them all around. And there are numerous examples of luxury housing and million dollar brownstones across the street or directly next door to destitute poverty. And that dichotomy is only increasing as development continues to expand to lower-income communities across the city.

Even I was taken aback at the Bronx Bricks condo development on 141st in Mott Haven, across the street from blocks and blocks of housing projects. They sold from $400K-$800K!!!!!!!!! Scary.
You even see it with condo development in neighborhoods that 10 years ago, developers would have never touched. Bed Stuy and Crown Heights are getting a new low rise condo every 3-6 months. Some of these places are in BAD parts of generally bad to mediocre neighborhoods. I think I would prefer an area like Boreum where the projects are just part of what is an overall nice neighborhood, rather than buy into a condo on a bad block of a bad neighborhood where there isn't much good to be found. I guess that's why we can't afford places in Boreum, but saw plenty of listings in Crown Heights (or is it ProCro ;-)) warzones.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wonder why, maybe because the MExicans cook and deliver your food!
That is definitely part of it. The restaurant and hospitality industries have huge power and influence in this city. Their lobbies line a lot of pols pockets. Mexicans are providing a steady cheap source of labor...

Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
They do much more than that...they do everything with little to no training. They are the Macguyvers of the real world: Give them a hammer, chewing gum, and a towel, and they will make dinner for 8, patch the roof, and write 3 hit songs..all in the same day!
I will give them that, they are part mule!! You can say a lot of things but the average Mexican definitely ain't lazy...

Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The little space available there is develop in this city is often around the PJ's. Due to the way PJ's were built it is like that. Especially in Manhattan.
And there should be mixed income and market rate low rises built along the street on those properties now. No NYCHA property in Manhattan should have parking lots, along with most of those in the outer boroughs.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
And there should be mixed income and market rate low rises built along the street on those properties now. No NYCHA property in Manhattan should have parking lots, along with most of those in the outer boroughs.
Huh? No parking lots? Ok, you gotta explain this one...

Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM

67 posts, read 244,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Unless you goot the youtube video, I don't believe you. Either that, or you must have your beaches confused. I have never witnessed such a thing at Rockaway beach. Usually those beaches rarely have a crowd, very sparsely utilized; and the percentage of blacks from the penninsula that 'actually' go to the beach is rather small.

Even though the Hispanics are smaller in number, a larger percentage go to the beach than blacks. Yet, to say there were SIXTY "patias" or whatever, on the beach, flying colors, is just not believeable. Coney or Brighton beaches w/b more believeable, but unless its a holiday there is rarely 60 people in one spot on the beaches of the Rockaways.

If so, then it must have been near the handball/basketball courts, where the bus stops.

Over the last few years, a number of drownings, surfer transplants, fishing, rabbits, but 60 hoodds flying colors, never seen that.

Seventfloor, you're the resident Rockaway expert, whaddya say?
I think the beaches from 90s to 116th can get pretty crowded. Especially around 116th(which is the most probable place the TC's story happened). Aside from Riis Park, they're really the only accessible beaches for DFDs as thats where the subway/bus stops are and some parking. But yea I've never seen a huge gang fight or anything personally. Once in a while the Wave will make note of a brawl on the beach or something and its usually on 116th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City