Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,789 times

Advertisements

Interesting enough, some of you guys' pet peeves are another poster's habits.

Don't say you don't like the singing of one genre, but you hate the other. You either gotta except them all, or except none.

I for one, will force my way onto the subway when I see that the conductor is ready to close the doors, and the exiting passengers are just being too slow to get off. I've had the doors close on me before just because I waited patiently. It won't happen again.

Life's hard, try to be respectful of your neighbors, but be respectful of yourself first and foremost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 AM

292 posts, read 705,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post

Don't say you don't like the singing of one genre, but you hate the other. You either gotta except them all, or except none.
:
Eh, I would rather listen to someone singing a genre a I enjoy than one I hate, most people would. But in general, I can't stand when someone is singing. Which leads me to two other pet peeves, whistling and snapping.cracking of gum, two of the all time most incredibly annoying things someone can do.

If I see someone is having trouble getting in because of crowds at the door, of course I won't start closing the door. But when the doors are pretty well finally clear of people and someone suddenly decides to then get on the train as the doors are closing, after they have been open for a fair amount of time, then I won't be as cooperative, lol.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
I for one, will force my way onto the subway when I see that the conductor is ready to close the doors, and the exiting passengers are just being too slow to get off. I've had the doors close on me before just because I waited patiently. It won't happen again.
Yeah, gotta love it when the conductor rings the door close warning while people are still getting out. Yeah, I know you've got to move the train, but the whole purpose of the system is to move passengers, so if you're not letting them get on you're missing the point.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, gotta love it when the conductor rings the door close warning while people are still getting out. Yeah, I know you've got to move the train, but the whole purpose of the system is to move passengers, so if you're not letting them get on you're missing the point.
The door warning is not what activates the doors. That is controlled by the conductor. When the doors open, and the stop/line/next stop announcement information has been announced, enough time has elapsed at that point so that in a non rush hour situation, pretty much everyone is onboard or off board already and has had enough time to do so. After that it is at the conductor's discretion.

The door warning is to say, "ok, we want to close down and get moving, so if you need to leave or get on, get while the getting's good, watch out and be careful of the doors."

Th conductors do look at the platform before they close the doors.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 PM

147 posts, read 314,544 times
To add to the list:

The MTA posters that try to convince you that they're improving. That money on marketing can be better put elsewhere (not to mention those posters aren't fooling anybody...) and that space should really be sold as ad space for income.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
To add to the list:

The MTA posters that try to convince you that they're improving. That money on marketing can be better put elsewhere (not to mention those posters aren't fooling anybody...) and that space should really be sold as ad space for income.
Have you seen some of the other posters? There's ads for events which happened months ago, and TV series which are no longer on. MTA advertising sales are pretty clearly in the toilet.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
To add to the list:

Do you remember a few years ago when the cars were plastered with posters proclaiming the opening of the 2nd Ave. Subway in 2014? When that fell through again, all the signs of course were removed. That was a huge waste of advertising!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Ohhhh, I love these threads. Here are my annoyances, some of which have already been mentioned:

6. People who don't/won't read. I understand if you're new here or a tourist and are lost...but how are you going to walk into a train and yell out "IS THIS THE A TRAIN??" when the red 1 bullet is plastered all over the side? No one answered the last time that happened and I wanted to shake the hand of everyone who remained silent. I was in Stockholm recently...I didn't speak enough Swedish to understand the subway announcements and directions, which weren't duplicated in English. Didn't lose my way once because I actually bothered to look at the map and at least know which line was which and where they went.

True that. In 2009, I went over with my mom who was teaching a semester class over in Luxembourg. We were there about the entire month of January (January 2 to 25th I think it was). While she was working, my parents got me a euro rail pass. I went to France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and Hungary and didn't manage to get lost at all (even though none of the languages were English, and none of the stations were in English) because I looked at a map beforehand. It's really not that difficult.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 PM

As a rider, I just loooooove when someone takes their frickin time stepping onto the subway, then stands there just barely within the doors, smack in the middle, blocking everyone else from getting on while they try and make up their (obviously lacking) mind as to which direction they want to go in. The same thing happens when I want to get out of the train. And I'm not even talking about elderly or visibly impaired customers. Just stupid people with no sense of urgency.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 AM

1,965 posts, read 2,709,945 times
It has been many years since I've ridden on the subways on a regular basis, but I can see that little has changed.

A guy once sat down next to me and opened his legs to where his legs and mine met. No problem, but then he started pushing my legs in by opening up his own until I probably had 3-4 inches between my knees, so I gently pushed my legs open a bit. He then forcefully pushed my legs back in. I then thrust my legs apart with such force I think I may have hurt his jewels. He leaned forward and gave me a look, which I returned. I guess he noted my 6'2" 220 lb frame (all muscles at the time) and thought better of going any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City