Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Well, people really want to know what areas or the area and periphery to avoid at all cost. Nothing wrong with that, there are many people with no history or experience in such environments, I can understand why it's a concern for their trips or relocation.

I do agree with the 2 forms of ghetto or hoods idea -

There is poor but not as dangerous -

Then there is poor and bad, need to watch over your shoulder -
There's rich ghettos to!!! And real bad..P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,516 times
I see evrybody spinning in circles with the ghetto thing, the truth is you guys make them famous just calling there name.!! NYC is the land of the ghetto!!!! There no way to avoid or miss any single of them at all!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
I see evrybody spinning in circles with the ghetto thing, the truth is you guys make them famous just calling there name.!! NYC is the land of the ghetto!!!! There no way to avoid or miss any single of them at all!!!!!!!!
True indeed. There is a ghetto right beyond lincoln center.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
I initially came into this thread to post something to the effect of, "Of course it's not racist for outsiders to want to know which areas of the city are safe. Don't be stupid!"

Then I read all the posts from morons like Hilltopjay spewing racist crap under the guise of "political incorrectness," and did a prompt 180 on the validity of this thread.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaxtheM View Post
I initially came into this thread to post something to the effect of, "Of course it's not racist for outsiders to want to know which areas of the city are safe. Don't be stupid!"

Then I read all the posts from morons like Hilltopjay spewing racist crap under the guise of "political incorrectness," and did a prompt 180 on the validity of this thread.
It is not "racist crap." It is profiteer-ist crap, or if you will, class-ist crap. The enabling ideology goes something like, "The wealthy are rich because they are better ..."

Make no mistake that monied people of color make the same sorts of decisions as the white monied people do. They do this every day.

Moreover, it is not simply a question about safety. It is about living with people who are deeply anti-social, every day. Litter, garbage, ranting, unsupervised and therefore destructive children, and then, of course, the shootings and "grab and run" robberies by adolescents.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is not "racist crap." It is profiteer-ist crap, or if you will, class-ist crap. The enabling ideology goes something like, "The wealthy are rich because they are better ..."

Make no mistake that monied people of color make the same sorts of decisions as the white monied people do. They do this every day.

Moreover, it is not simply a question about safety. It is about living with people who are deeply anti-social, every day. Litter, garbage, ranting, unsupervised and therefore destructive children, and then, of course, the shootings and "grab and run" robberies by adolescents.
Harlem is right. Its not a racist thing but more of a class thing. And like Harlem said, even rich black people have the same ideology and rightfully so.

Low income ghetto people do not appreciate and destroy communities by the way they conduct themselves, their lifestyles and ideology. Yes ghetto people have their warped ideology as well. Code of the streets if you will.

What ghetto people fail to understand is that we all have the wonder power of FREE WILL. We pick and choose who we hang out with, what we eat, what we learn despite being taught stuff in school that most of us will never use in real life. Even if you have a crackhead as a mother, I've seen success stories of the child being successful.

The problem is most ghetto people took the wrong road at the fork. Even people that once lived in the hood and became entrepenurs change their way of thinking and their ideology despite have a former low income ideology.

The point is, EVERY PERSON SUCH BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS INSTEAD OF BLAMING THE RICH AS WE ALL HAVE THE FREE WILL TO BECOME ANYTHING WE WISH. THE QUESTION IS DO YOU HAVE DESIRE TO DO SO AND ARE YOU WILLING TO PUT IN THE WORK? Many people want the easy way out and are not willing to put in the work, hence their outcome.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
I don't like the expression but understand the connotations and would be less bothered by describing a particular person as "ghetto". When it comes to describing a whole area, ghetto becomes a blanket statement on everyone living there, which is of course inaccurate. And then you get the geniuses on this forum who go somewhere, see black and brown people, and pronounce the place ghetto without even really knowing the area or any of the people who live there. They see a certain skin color and think they know everything about the area. Why not just ask specific questions - is the area loud / is there a lot of litter / are there a lot of people hanging out? The information you'd get would be more accurate and wouldn't be offensive.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 AM

21 posts, read 16,075 times
ghetto dont fits on one race. is the behavior that makes it look like that ,who the hell wants to move on a neighborhood full of gangs.adicts and all type of negativity around,. if peole looking for a better place to live,ask them why they leaving thier own place? it gets annoying to see the same post everyday about ghetto and safety areas. they seen concern about it,but nobody has the guts to fight the responsibles to fight the crime or eighter request law enforcement to all ny and any other states. this is proof that most everybody fears about whats going on in nyc.why dont improve this forum and push it to the goverment and see what they can do about it.in my opinion the future of the hole NEW YORK will soon look like LYBIA,AFGHANISTAN ETC,. and everybody instead moving to ny they might run away from it. im not trying to freak anybody ,but this already started to happend, example OCCUPY WALL STREET." to be aware is to be alive" what are youre next steps in the few next years??????

Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiconotaloca View Post
ghetto dont fits on one race. is the behavior that makes it look like that ,who the hell wants to move on a neighborhood full of gangs.adicts and all type of negativity around,. if peole looking for a better place to live,ask them why they leaving thier own place? it gets annoying to see the same post everyday about ghetto and safety areas. they seen concern about it,but nobody has the guts to fight the responsibles to fight the crime or eighter request law enforcement to all ny and any other states. this is proof that most everybody fears about whats going on in nyc.why dont improve this forum and push it to the goverment and see what they can do about it.in my opinion the future of the hole NEW YORK will soon look like LYBIA,AFGHANISTAN ETC,. and everybody instead moving to ny they might run away from it. im not trying to freak anybody ,but this already started to happend, example OCCUPY WALL STREET." to be aware is to be alive" what are youre next steps in the few next years??????
What I think the poster was trying to say is...ghetto people suck a$$! I think that sums it up.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
It is nice to deal person to person but alas we are not, we are dealing with NEIGHBORHOODS. Thus if Mother Theresa lived in a rotten neighborhood it would not make the neighborhood less rotten. When we speak of neighborhoods we are speaking in generalizations about a huge demographic, AVERAGE incomes and crime. If a neighborhood is filthy it does no good to point to resident Mary Hartmann who spends her entire day scrubbing her floors.

One need not look down on any person becasue of his color or creed in order to very much look down on the neighborhood such a person lives in.

Correllating crime and poverty is a valid use of demographics even if 50% of the population never stole a penny from anyone. That's irrelevant.

Yes, nice people live in neighborhoods that no sane person would willingly live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City