Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleHymn View Post
What kind of question is this? The state of New York can't even figure it self out. Why would they want to add any part of NJ to it? My girlfriend's family lives in North Bergen and there is literally nothing to do there. Plus the pizza in New Jersey isn't as good. Why combine them?
Rockland Co............................ Bwwwahhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 10:50 AM

71 posts, read 36,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
By Bergen I mean only a few towns like Cliffside Park, Fort Lee and those nearby ones, etc. I was just looking at the map of the metro area, and it just kinda made sense to me. NJ people seem a little offended by this question, but NYC is the megapolis here, not the other way around so NYC should be the one extending. I know it's not likely, since it's different states. By the way, I am in NJ, and I am just being real. For example, I come from Moscow, Russia originally, which is pretty similar to NYC in size and atmosphere and recently they expanded their borders behind a few freeways there that used be the difference between city and suburbs. Basically, it's just weird to me that you are in JC or even Fort Lee and much closer to Manhattan, the NYC epicenter, than a lot of parts of Queens and Brooklyn even though you are in another state and another city.
most accurate post

all of Hudson County and a few towns from Southeastern Bergen County, south of the bridge to the line with North Bergen.. i would also include Newark just bc it is continuously urban and right next to Hudson County, and the PATH train ends there, and the airport is there

even the people from our part of Jersey have more of an NY vibe when compared with people from even people from a little deeper in Jersey.. i run into people from the more suburban parts of Bergen County always giving Hudson County a bad rap bc it's too urban, congested, and gritty.. our accent is more in line with people from NY than suburbanites from the more "normal" part of North Jersey..

also to your point, it's very close to the city.. closer than a lot of places in Brooklyn and Queens.. gentrification aside, all of Hudson County and Southeast Bergen County resemble deeper Queens neighborhoods if anything.. we're still Bridge and Tunnel just like people from Queens

Old 08-31-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleHymn View Post
What kind of question is this? The state of New York can't even figure it self out. Why would they want to add any part of NJ to it? My girlfriend's family lives in North Bergen and there is literally nothing to do there. Plus the pizza in New Jersey isn't as good. Why combine them?

Technically Westchester County was part of the Bronx some years ago....
North Bergen would line up similarly with some areas of eastern Queens.. also idk what pizza u had, but we have just as good pizza as NYC.. try Bergenline Pizza in Union City..

okay this is what i would call "the entire NYC" or "the state of NYC"

all the 5 boroughs
all of Hudson County, NJ
Newark, NJ
a few towns from Southeast Bergen County (Fort Lee, Edgewater, Cliffside Park, Fairview, Palisade Park)
Yonkers, NY
Elmont, NY (it's in Long Island but literally borders Queens and all the streets feel like u never left South Jamaica)

also, questionably to add.. Mount Vernon, NY and Elizabeth, NJ.. i feel like if Yonkers counts, so should Mount Vernon.. and Elizabeth, NJ is right next to Newark and still very urban and gritty.. also the Goethals is there and 278 ends there, and 278 is the most NYC highway there is in my head lol

Last edited by boxNcode; 08-31-2021 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 PM

397 posts, read 319,886 times
Because some metro areas are in between two or more states or even sovereign nations in some cases. There are numerous examples of this in the US and other countries.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
Because some metro areas are in between two or more states or even sovereign nations in some cases. There are numerous examples of this in the US and other countries.
yeah but im not talking metro area here... the NYC metro area is the tristate NY-NJ-CT.. to break that down, that's NYC, LI, Southern NY State, southwestern CT, and North / Central Jersey.. out of all those i'm only picking out a handful of towns from northeast NJ, southern NYS, and one hamlet from LI.. the rest can stay as NYC suburbs

Old 09-02-2021, 10:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Unless there are technically two Kansas Cities on opposite sides of the Missouri River)
That is EXACTLY the situation with the Kansas Cities: TWO cities with the same name.

I think Vancouver WA, USA, abuts Vancouver BC, Canada, but don't hold my feet to the fire on that one.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Bergen county is apart of the Tri-State area.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:26 AM

17 posts, read 7,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That is EXACTLY the situation with the Kansas Cities: TWO cities with the same name.

I think Vancouver WA, USA, abuts Vancouver BC, Canada, but don't hold my feet to the fire on that one.
Glad you're saving your feet, KK -- Vancouver WA is 300 miles from Vancouver, B.C.. The former is close by to Portland, Oregon.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:26 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But by that logic, the other boroughs shouldn't be part of NYC because there are bodies of water seperating them from Manhattan.
And most of those residents would agree.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:28 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But if New Yorkers were assessed the Real Estate taxes of Hudson County, they would hang the mayor from a lampost post haste.
Some New Yorkers would like to do that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City