Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 137,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Technically, yes. But perceptions are things you can't put on a stat sheet or a graph. I'm with you, Rachael: New York is New York, and New Jersey is New Jersey.

As to the question of secession, I'm all for New York City as a separate state. We wouldn't be under the suffocating bureaucracy known as Albany which, if you investigate the history, has been living off the city for nearly 300 years.

There was actually a state legislator from somewhere up in the Adirondacks who proposed redrawing the state's southern border--he wanted to excommunicate NYC. I was honestly hoping the legislature would consider that motion. New York City makes up slightly more than 32% of the state's population--yet we certainly don't get anything like one third of the state budget allocation. When all those people upstate start dancing in the streets at the thought of being rid of New York City, the party will come to a screeching halt when someone points out what's going to happen to their taxes if they haven't got us to leech off.

And without our eight million residents, New York State's electoral vote count in the next election will put it at the same general level of importance as, say, North Dakota.

As you can see, I'm fully prepared for state of New Amsterdam! (Capital, Manhattan. Largest city, Brooklyn).
The people upstate pay taxes, too, you know. Some of the highest in the nation. We don't leech off you. It doesn't take much intellectual curiosity to figure this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Lol. Ya it doesnt have a new york feel too it at all. And thats as soon as you cross the george washington or the lincoln tunnel. I dont see how new yorkers, or supposedly new yorkers u never know on this site lol, would even mention jersey. The only thing we should be mentioning is yonkers or long island. Thats it
Jersey is mentioned because it's extremely close and part of your metro area. That should be obvious. It's rife with people who commute regularly to New York.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
I think Jersey City would be the best bet because it has quick access to Manhattan and the rest of the city, a lot of companies are moving there, and it is improving unlike some areas that are in decline. Obviously, Jersey City will forever remain in NJ so Yonkers probablly is NY's runner up at being the sixth borough and would have a much better chance of making that happen than any other candidates.

Also the average Jersian does not idolize NYC or even want to live there. Jersians appreciate being so close to what most consider America's greatest city and overall its a great place to have fun, go out to eat, work, and visit but at the end of the day most Jersians want to come back home, otherwise they just move to NY.
I disagree with you. You're missing the obvious: Not all of them can AFFORD New York. There are many who live in North Jersey because they cannot afford Manhattan, but if they could, that's where they'd be.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Honestly, I think the city would do better getting Nassau and forgetting about NJ. People forget, there's some nasty areas tucked across the Hudson. West NY, Union city, Newark, Parts of JC. It's not all condos and gentrification.

Wow, let's conveniently forget about the equally-nasty areas of Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester, & LI. The point being that all areas have parts that are less desirable in which to live!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,403 times
That's funny I've never heard of Jersey City/Hoboken? Stop marrying the two, Hoboken is where rich kids move when they are not quite ready for Manhattan. Jersey City couldnt be further from that. With that said , there is no need for a sixth NYC is fine the way it is. Oh and why not Jersey City/Union City? it has a nicer ring to it.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times
Hudson County, NJ for sure.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM

58 posts, read 97,981 times
L.A. defectors make it the 6th borough

Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
I thought Philadelphia was the 6th borough?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 AM

796 posts, read 1,757,584 times
Garden City a city of NYC???? On what basis is that even an idea? The city in its name???

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
Straight up northern New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City