Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM

349 posts, read 782,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Street vendors are actually illegal in Chicago cause they use to be involved in money laundering with the mobs in the city. There have been a group of chefs fighting that law recently, but that is why you don't see them anywhere in Chicago.
Wow that's very interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks for "dropping some knowledge" so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,420,594 times
What can you do? Chicago is Chicago, not NYC.

I wouldn't call Chicagoans fake, per se. They are more superficially polite, so they don't tell you off to your face. I am a blunt person, so sometimes it makes me crazy too. I want to know where I stand.

It is more affordable, and you can get pretty sweet apartments for a much better price in neighborhoods with stuff going on. Culturally it is great. Only NYC can compare with the Symphony/Opera/theater/dance/museums/Universities all in a nice central locale. Food has gotten much better.

But why are you going to Chicago looking for NYC? You have the wrong attitude, and other issues going on that will keep you from being happy and finding the good wherever you go.

And man... if you can't handle the most beautiful Chicago winter you will see in this lifetime, then maybe you need to move.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 9,820 times
Chicago is just an all around better city, it has so much more to offer then NYC, and its much more affordable. I think NYC is the definition of superficial.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,926,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I concur. Why would I move from one big city to the next it doesnt make any sense. For me I rather move from a big city like NYC to a small city like DC or a mid size city like Seattle or Las Vegas or even Detroit Big Cities like Houston, LA and Chicago are not options for me. To the OP your best bet is to go back to NYC or the closest thing to NYC interms of culture and gentrification is San Francisco.
The only other big city I would consider would be San Diego [which isn't even that big, Queens alone is bigger]. If I ever leave but wanted to live in another city it would easily be Indianapolis, Portland, or Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiland View Post
Chicago is just an all around better city, it has so much more to offer then NYC, and its much more affordable. I think NYC is the definition of superficial.
Back again?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,156,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiland View Post
Go away.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 9,820 times
I see people still can't face the truth.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM

749 posts, read 2,457,186 times
If I had to move out of NYC, I would try to get a job in London. Otherwise, I'd move to Philly or Boston because it's close enough to come into the city on weekends.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,796,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
I know a lot of people are mocking you here because of previous posts...deserved or not, I am sincerely not when I say you might want to consider that your unhappiness has nothing to do with where you are living or have lived. Sounds like maybe you are expecting place you move to to be "the answer" but and provide you with something you feel is missing in your life...but what it might (most likely) actually be is inside yourself that is the root of your u.nhappiness. Before packing up and uprooting again, it might be helpful to do some deep reflective work to figure out within yourself what the real issue is...what you might be hiding from or keep running away from. No thing or person or place outside of yourself is going to fix that. Hope you find what you're looking for.
I believe this ↑ - I have a niece that is the same way, but always comes back to Brooklyn. Still unhappy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,796,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu
you know what haters do?
they complain about new places, yet they keep moving around for find a new place to settle
You say this ↓ to this ↑

Quote:
sekhmet: You know what true haters do? They act like cowards by making fun of people behind the safety of the internet instead of offering real advice or trying to help and/or understand them.
Swkhmet, I don't know if your are familiar with the OP's history here on CD especially back to the HarlemNewbie days? She has said a lot of things and put a lot out there that was offensive and deserved some criticism.

You were right in your other post that most likely the OP is a lost soul searching for something she may never find within herself.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,233,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Wow that's very interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks for "dropping some knowledge" so to speak.
You are welcome, I came across that about the food carts when I was wondering why Chicago doesn't do anything like what Portland has, which if food carts of all different types of food on almost every surface parking lot in Portland. Hopefully they will get that off their laws because I think the food cart culture would explode there like it has here in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City