Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,936,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiland View Post
I see people still can't face the truth.
I see people such as yourself, still don't have a life. How unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 AM

877 posts, read 2,015,918 times
I don't know what is up with the argument and such but you will probably start to like Chicago in a few months, fast forwarded. It's always harder in the beginning. I feel like that when I go on trips, as dreadful as it sounds, and I always think as if I'm going to be there for years. If you move again, you will probably start to miss Chicago.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM

771 posts, read 1,400,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
So I moved to Chicago for work, to be closer to family, and have a more affordable place to live. I have never been so unhappy in my life. People here are the worst, so fake. At least in New York if someone needed to talk smack they did so to my face. Also, the food is terrible. Saucy sausage on dough is considered 'pizza' here. And you cannot find a NY style slice if your life was to depend on it. I miss it so much... I had to vent to all of you. I didn't realize what a good thing I had there until I lived in this place. F.
This is ridiculous. There are extremely few cities that can compare to NYC. Why would you expect Chicago to be like NYC or any other city for that matter? Yeah let me move to LA expecting Chicago. give me a break.

The food is terrible? What an ignorant comment. Chicago is reknown along with NYC, San Fran and New Orleans for its fantastic food. Maybe you should stop eating at McDonalds or wherever it is you eat.

Please go back to NYC and don't come back.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 AM

2,626 posts, read 3,426,090 times
It's interesting to me how, on the CITY-DATA FORUM at-large, there are people who, if other persons state a negative assessment or opinion of some geographic locale (a neighborhood, a city, a county or borough, a town/village/hamlet, a metropolitan area, a region, et al), certain other persons become so outraged and indignant and attack them (e.g., "How dare you say that about <whatever geographic locale>!!! Please go back to ____ and don't come back!!!" or other similar sentiments). A very interesting sociological or social psychological phenomenon (to me at least)!

The point is: In contrast, I myself, wherever I have lived in my nearly 60 years of life, don't act as though any particular geographic locale "belongs to me" or that everyone else must praise it and extol the virtues of that geographic locale. Other people can express whatever they want about whatever geographic locale they have experienced (even if I myself happen to live in or have previously lived in that geographic locale, such as a neighborhood like Flushing, Queens or a city like New York City or Chicago, or a region like Long Island or northern New Jersey, or wherever) and it really doesn't impact me at all. If I find the particular geographic locale appealing or amenable to ME, that is all that matters to me. What others feel about it is of no consequence to me. The point is that I don't feel a need or obligation to defend any particular geographic locale or get offended if some other person(s) doesn't like that locale or didn't have good experiences there. They are entitled to express whatever sentiments they have about whatever place they have in mind. I don't take what they say about any particular geographic locale to be "the way, the truth, and the life" to me, like it came from the lips of God himself. It is just them expressing their experiences from their life perspective. That is all I take it as.

There is an old saying (hopefully the Moderator won't censor the single off-color word here, for the saying serves as good "food-for-thought"). The saying is as follows: "Opinions are like a--holes . . . everybody's got one" (or to the Moderator: if you must censor it, you can substitute "bellybuttons" for "a--holes", as in "Opinions are like bellybuttons . . . everybody's got one"). I'm not offended that other people have opinions about whatever geographic locale and express said opinions. I'm not appointed by anyone or obliged to serve as the de facto apologist for any particular geographic locale . . . even a locale where I live or have lived. If others don't find that geographic locale agreeable, that is fine. We all have an opinion . . . just like we all have an a--hole (or bellybutton). It's OK with me. I can live with it, accept their views for whatever they are, and hold on to my views.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,209,838 times
Quote:
So I moved to Chicago for work, to be closer to family, and have a more affordable place to live. I have never been so unhappy in my life. People here are the worst, so fake. At least in New York if someone needed to talk smack they did so to my face. Also, the food is terrible. Saucy sausage on dough is considered 'pizza' here. And you cannot find a NY style slice if your life was to depend on it. I miss it so much... I had to vent to all of you. I didn't realize what a good thing I had there until I lived in this place. F.
Oh come on........Chicago is a great place to live. I lived there for 7 years. I loved it. Would go back if I had the chance but NYC is my next home.

You're just home sick.

Once you stop comparing the 2 and enjoy Chicago for it's uniqueness, than you'll be happy.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
A little under a year. It's an okay place... but it's no NY. Not by a long shot.
Did you think it would be NYC?

It's NYC and not supposed to be.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Man, her post looks like spam. I did not even try to read that.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiland View Post
I see people still can't face the truth.
It's not an issue of which is better. They are both great American cities. I lived in Chicago and I'll always visit even after I move to NYC.

They compliment each other.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 AM

25,418 posts, read 37,189,609 times
I could NEVER tolerate the weather in Chicago.
A couple friends were toying with a retirement in Minneapolis...I told them they were NUTS (because of the weather.)
They apparently listened to me because they are still here.

Probably the only city I could imagine living besides NYC, is San Franciso or the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City