Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

we can say it by the the same way you claim teaching is the worst career when you arent working for any extended time in any other career seeing how that goes.
im not saying you have it great but to each of us what we do is filled with grief ,aggrevation and thanklessness. thats all im saying..

all things being equal i would rather be tortured for 6 months a year than 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM

23 posts, read 40,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like i said all professions have there ups and downs and aggravation and while you think teachers have it worse the truth is to everyone of us we all have it worse in our minds.

the part that just gets me about teachers is most complain and complain but the truth is they are only working 1/2 as much as everyone else does and have to put up with the crap 1/2 as much as everyone else.
MathJak, please tell me what public school teaching position works only 6 months out of a year. You are terribly misinformed.

I spent a majority of my summer: lesson planning for the next year, painting/decorating classroom, and attending teaching workshops. Summer was not a vacation. It was a time of RECOVERY.

Teaching has been and always will be an extremely demanding, strenuous, and unappreciated field of employment. Anyone that chooses to teach for the $$$ and vacation time WILL HATE EVERY MINUTE THEY ARE IN THE CLASSROOM.

My advice to anyone entering the teaching field is to think twice. If you absolutely love teaching than do a few years, get an advanced degree, and move to higher education. Life is too short to be stuck working in a job that you absolutely hate. Hopefully the economy will pick up soon and people can move into fields that they actually enjoy and where jobs are available. But that is another discussion.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM

my daughter and my wife work a tad more than 6 months worth of time.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Money's decent, hours are terrific, work pressure is minimal, retirement is great, benefits are as good as they get, job security is good.

I wish I'd done it.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM

109 posts, read 343,625 times
Don't teachers also have the option of working during the summer and making even more money ?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Money's decent, hours are terrific, work pressure is minimal, retirement is great, benefits are as good as they get, job security is good.

I wish I'd done it.
Work pressure is minimal? LOL.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens_111 View Post
Don't teachers also have the option of working during the summer and making even more money ?
Sure. There is generally two and a half months worth of time off over the summer. Now, you tell me what kind of job options one could realistically pursue with that kind of time frame? What kind of employer would hire somebody who was only going to be available for two and half months?

That's why all of these pro-rated salaries set to a 12-month schedule are bologna. Starting teachers make $45K. Not $70K or whatever the 12-month salary WOULD be. They make $45K. They'd have to find other means of coming up with the extra $25K. MUCH easier said by somebody on a message board who is not in the teaching profession than actually done.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM

For most degreed jobs today entry level pay starting out is 45k or less for 12 months of work not 6 . we are hiring degreed engineers that are starting out for less than that.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-20-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM

115 posts, read 306,572 times
I'll give three reasons why I want to teach in NYC:

1. June
2. July
3. August

Maybe if there were other jobs that came with more than a lousy 2 weeks a year of vacation if you're lucky, I would be trying to enter a different field. It's too bad we're not more like Europe where you can have 5-6 weeks off a year. In Italy, the country basically shuts down the whole month of August. I know because I have family there. Teaching in this city is a very difficult job but the time off and retirement benefits can't be beat. Not only you get the summer off, but there's Christmas Break, Thanksgiving Break, Spring and Winter break, Jewish holidays, and many more.

The first couple of years are the hardest. But once you have files and files of lesson plans, you can reuse them year after year if you're still teaching the same material. I know several teachers that do that.

Like I said in another post, if there are any unhappy English teachers (Grades 7-12), I'll gladly take your job off your hands.

Last edited by RandomPersonInNY; 03-20-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Not to mention weeks of recess and holidays .

my buddy retired with 75k a year and great medical benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City