Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times

Advertisements

Actually, no, I think I've got it all wrong. Here is the real answer:
1) Allow the consensus to be that no decent, talented, hard-working individual should go into teaching
2) Should there still be any decent, talented, hard-working people still teaching, tell them to get OUT.
3) Witness a public education system that, you guessed it, has no decent, talented, hard-working people leading the classrooms of schools
4) Enjoy the by-product of having a vast majority of young people in the country (or NYC) educated by people who would best be described as not decent, not talented and not hard-working.
That seems to be what many people in society are getting at.
#iamtoostupidtounderstandtheworld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Private-sector pay? How about pay to allow, say, a NYC teacher to live...I don't know...in NYC?? I'm guessing that's too much to ask. Or are you suggesting one can live in NYC reasonably on 50K per year?
well thats what happens when you take a job that doesnt provide daily work year round. its part of the territory and one of the pitfalls of that profession.

to be honest teaching is a great profession if your not the sole bread winner.

before my wife and i were married she was a widowed mom and it was tough. all summer she would scramble to earn extra income and fill in the blanks to increase her income.

its a perfect job for her today as im the main bread winner and she gets to spend the summers doing whatever she likes, she is home by 3:45 just about every day. . now she enjoys donating that time in the summer to st marys childrens hospital but thats only because she has the luxury of being able to do so.

teaching in nyc is really a niche . its great pay for the amount of time you work but its kind of in the middle of no wheres land as far as income . it has fabulous retirement benefits too but its the current income that comes up short because of the amount of time your really paid for. up until the downturn it really was one of the lowest paying professions that required a masters. along with its twin sister social working in that respect.

now think back to what i posted earlier about the teaching trap in our colleges. thats exactley why that system is in place.

very few go into college wanting to be teachers . the default mechanisim for cranking out teachers takes over if you arent wise to it .

Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well thats what happens when you take a job that doesnt provide daily work year round. its part of the territory.

to be honest teaching is a great profession if your not the sole bread winner.

before my wife and i were married she was a single mom and it was tough. all summer she would scramble to earn extra income and fill in the blanks to increase her income.

its a perfect job for her today as im the main bread winner and she gets to spend the summers doing whatever she likes, she is home by 3:45 just about every day. . now she enjoys donating that time in the summer to st marys childrens hospital but thats only because she has the luxury of being able to do so.

teaching in nyc is really a niche . its great pay for the amount of time you work but its kind of in the middle of no wheres land as far as income . it has fabulous retirement benefits too but its the current income that comes up short because of the amount of time your really paid for. up until the downturn it really was one of the lowest paying professions that required a masters. along with its twin sister social working in that respect.

now think back to what i posted earlier about the teaching trap in our colleges. thats exactley why that system is in place.

very few go into college wanting to be teachers . the default mechanisim for cranking out teachers takes over if you arent wise to it .
It all makes sense now: Anybody looking to get into teaching needs to marry a sugar daddy or sugar momma. All you men out there considering a career in teaching need to know you need you to find you a good woman to be the bread winner.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
you didnt read what i wrote , i said sole bread winner . you dont need a sugar mamma or daddy , what you need is more income to fill in the blanks and its much easier to do when your married with 2 incomes and not the sole bread winner yourself. . . for a single person the income from teaching can leave you coming up short for what it takes to live in nyc..

as i say to my wife teaching is the greatest part time job in the world because thats really what the pay reflects for a masters..

the pay is part of your compensation but so is the time away it allows . some can use that time to pursue other interests if you are fortunate enough to be able to take advantage.

my best friend ran a commercial phone company with employess all while being a teacher for 35 years.

he had people doing the installations and on breaks through out the day he dealt with business issues. he was a salesman for his own company during summers.

the reason most teachers struggle is because the pay isnt enough and the time away from the job does them no good since they have to try to earn more money. the problem is unlike private industry where you earn your high rate of pay year round a teacher usually has to fill in the blanks with whatever they can find , some work camps during the summer for very little pay.

my wife used to work the gate at a pool club when she had to.

i dont think im off the mark when i say teaching is better suited to those who dont have to be the sole bread winners and can take full advantage of the time away from the job that is so much a perk about the job in the first place.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-21-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM

23 posts, read 40,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you didnt read what i wrote , i said sole bread winner . you dont need a sugar mamma or daddy , what you need is more income to fill in the blanks and its much easier to do when your married with 2 incomes and not the sole bread winner yourself. . . for a single person the income from teaching can leave you coming up short for what it takes to live in nyc..
to.

i dont think im off the mark when i say teaching is better suited to those who dont have to be the sole bread winners and can take full advantage of the time away from the job that is so much a perk about the job in the first place.

Totally agree with you on this one. I taught with several male teachers who were the bread winners in their homes and most of them were not happy with their position. I know many teachers who had to work evening jobs to supplement their income. I taught in the south and with masters and a couple of years teaching experience I was bringing in $2K per month after taxes.

I think the days of living on a single salary are long gone. The best way to truly get ahead is to be debt free and/or find a mate that makes an equal or better salary. $50K is not enough to support a family in the south and it is definitely not enough to support a family in NYC.

I definitely believe if teacher salaries were higher than we would not hear so many complaints. I know of one charter school in NYC that pays teachers $120,000 a year. But the positions are based on one year contracts and teachers work very long hours. If student don't improve academically then they are let go. Most teachers would happily put in the extra time if they were making that type of salary.

Last edited by usamathman1; 03-21-2012 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
What do you mean why?

How about someone like me?

I currently work for 40k (about 50 hrs per week) with no benefits, no pension/401k, 1 week's vacation, and 2 sick days/year. ****ty work environment and no prospects for advancement. The company employs about 90-100 people with a median salary of ~35k (max, could be a bit lower). Do you know what the kicker is? The boss acts as if he's God's gift to US employment.

Actually doing meaningful work, health benefits, a pension (even if it vests in 10 years), 45k for 9 months work, more sick and vacation days doesn't sound so bad.

I think some of you older folks have a skewed view of current and future US employment trends. The labor market is becoming ever more bifurcated. There are more higher end jobs but also more lower end. The middle is being squeezed. Either you get that near 6 figure/6 figure dream job with great benefits/perks or you work for working class wages. Those middle of the road jobs are shrinking. I see this same example among my freinds and we all graduated from the same university with nearly identical grades. The last bastion for actual middle of the road jobs seems to be city/state/feds.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What do you mean why?

I currently work for 40k (about 50 hrs per week) with no benefits, no pension/401k, 1 week's vacation, and 2 sick days/year. ****ty work environment and no prospects for advancement. The company employs about 90-100 people with a median salary of ~35k (max, could be a bit lower). Do you know what the kicker is? The boss acts as if he's God's gift to US employment.

Actually doing meaningful work, health benefits, a pension (even if it vests in 10 years), 45k for 9 months work, more sick and vacation days doesn't sound so bad.

I think some of you older folks have a skewed view of current and future US employment trends. The labor market is becoming ever more bifurcated. There are more higher end jobs but also more lower end. The middle is being squeezed. Either you get that near 6 figure/6 figure dream job with great benefits/perks or you work for working class wages. Those middle of the road jobs are shrinking. I see this same example among my freinds and we all graduated from the same university with nearly identical grades. The last bastion for actual middle of the road jobs seems to be city/state/feds.
If you're working full time, and your employer is not offering any health benefits or a tax sheltered retirement option they are violating federal law.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If you're working full time, and your employer is not offering any health benefits or a tax sheltered retirement option they are violating federal law.
Of course they "offer" health insurance. The catch is the employee has to front 90%+ of the cost. Am I really going to be working 1 week after tax out of every month just to pay for health insurance?lol

If they split it 50/50, it'd be reasonable but with having to pay the full premium I'm forced to take my chances and not take on the insurance.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What do you mean why?

There's no doubt the middle class is shrinking big time. The free market dictates that the Kim Kardashians of the world are filthy rich and others like teachers are struggling to survive. And yet we still have many who believe the free market should be totally, uh, free from any type of intervention from the public sector.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i dont know about the kids deserving better that depends on where u teach.
the welfare department here is full of credentialed teachers. what does that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City