Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Unfortunately, the vast majority of citizens have a very poor grasp of the legal parameters which govern police-civilian interactions.
Because they're irrelevant. The fact is, the cops will do whatever they want, and the system will back them up. It's true they don't need probable cause for a stop-and-frisk, but they do them all the time without so much as reasonable suspicion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I deal with facts because I've educated myself and don't make decisions based on anecdotal evidence. If that's not your decision making level, I probably have nothing in common with you, sorry.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I deal with facts because I've educated myself and don't make decisions based on anecdotal evidence. If that's not your decision making level, I probably have nothing in common with you, sorry.
If only everyone was like that.

If only everyone didn't have preconceived notions of how they are going to be "victimized" by various groups, for example the NYPD.

If you leave your door convinced that you are going to be victimized b/c of your race, your clothing, you socio-economic status, if you leave your door everyday convinced that SOMEONE is going to get you, then it becomes a self fufilling prophecy. It happens because you invite it to happen. You want it to happen because it proves (in your mind) that you are just a poor victim, who never had a chance in life, so any horrible behavior you commit is not your responsibility. Society made you do it!

And then later, when recounting these "victim" stories, they magically grown 9 sizes. A simple stop and frisk becomes "the police threw me against the wall. one of them put a gun in my face and stood on my neck while the other one took pictures and called his mom back home to tell her how he was showing a black man buisness. It lasted HOURS as they went thru every pocket, every orifice! All right there on the subway platform in front of nuns and children!!!"

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You obviously don't know your history.
Why don't you explain how I don't know my history? And let's not look at history, let's look at statistics and facts.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/artic.../Profiling.htm

Among people 18 or younger, blacks were charged with 58 percent of murder and non-negligent manslaughter, 67 percent of robberies, 42 percent of aggravated assaults and 43 percent of auto thefts. As for murder, more than 90 percent of the time, their victims were black. These statistics, showing a strong interconnection among race, youth and crime, are a far better explanation for racial profiling and suspicion than simple racism.

So I repeat, their own culture brought his upon themselves. If not, FIX YOUR OWN COMMUNITY. DO NOT TOLERATE CRIME. Otherwise, GET STOPPED AND FRISKED. Deal with it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ somebody should stop and frisk those lips.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
If you leave your door convinced that you are going to be victimized b/c of your race, your clothing, you socio-economic status, if you leave your door everyday convinced that SOMEONE is going to get you, then it becomes a self fufilling prophecy. It happens because you invite it to happen.
And if you leave your door convinced that you won't be victimized, you could well be anyway. There are bad actors. They don't exist merely because we fear they exist.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
And if you leave your door convinced that you won't be victimized, you could well be anyway. There are bad actors. They don't exist merely because we fear they exist.
You sure can, but you won't be inviting victimization...or seeing victimization where none existed. Such as many on this thread do.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
You are stating a lot of opinion, but not fact.

Obviously innocent....to you.

If 684k people are stopped and 614k are NOT arrested this will seem to me its a FACT that most are innocent.

Over the weekend loads of gun incidents. I wonder how many of those bad actors get frisked...or do they outsmart stupid and incompetent policing by knowing exactly how to outsmart them....leaving the less savvy types to be abused.

I mean only 800 gun seizures fom 684,000 stops. Clearly the WRONG people are being targeted. We arent even talking about 1% of the stops.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
State this properly. Not in the passive voice.

Neighborhood and community residents harassed and victimized those who did snitch.

Period. Community residents are active agents, not victims in some cultural inevitability you are attempting to create.

Its clear to me that you intepret my comments thru your own lens.

People who were robbed go to report their crimes. Even a city council man from Astoria (Vallone) had to complain about this. He is hardly some cop hating AA. Indeed based on the demographics of his district I bet he got those reports from regular cops.

Village Voice and NPR reporte d SPECIFIC instances of this. These people were not taken seriously, indeed some even intimidated. Why because the precinct chief doesnt want their report to screw up his stats. To hell with whether criminals are allowed to roam free as a result.

Yes harrass 684,000 people, collect 800 guns. Job well done, good stats "reported". No not the paltry numbers of seizures, but the high numbers of stops.

This doesnt look like good policing, and deny this as you might it appears as if many police men also think so.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
If only everyone was like that.

!

And then later, when recounting these "victim" stories, they magically grown 9 sizes. !!!"

If you think that 684,000 stops ONLY 800 guns seized 90% innocent, increasing gun crimes and that this is good policy I cant help you.

This isnt working. All it does is alienate innocent people.

OBVIOUSLY THE CRIMINALS ARE NOT BEING TARGETTED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City