Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
People without class drop their trash around them (and those people can be rich or poor).

However, take a train ride on the MNRR up on the elevated tracks through the city and you'll see housing projects where people throw their garbage out of the window to the grounds below. People don't usually beleive me the first time I tell them this. Its incredible. What I have noticed its that its prevalent at some projects and seemingly absent at others.
Yes, they do the same in Harlem. Problem is, they must be caught red-handed, preferably on video.
So funny to observe the constant disclaimers. Please. Such people are seldom rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Might be worse there, but the city in general is still pretty trashy. Would be nice to see New Yorkers pick up after themselves and take care of their surroundings better. There is no excuse for the amount of trash people here throw on the ground.
"Might be worse there" is an indication of a person who has no experience of Harlem.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
They also do that by me in the Bronx....they just throw trash right out the window and I just can't understand why someone would do that. The good news is (if there is good news) is that employees are diligent in cleaning up the grounds daily.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
FYI Italianuser, many of those sparkling clean neighborhoods have their own private santiation crews which clean the streets and sidewalks. Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Park Ave, etc stay clean not because their residents are clean, but because the businesses pay to clean the areas. Take away all those private sanitation companies and you would see how filthy even the "nice" areas become.
This is actually true BUT ... downtown, neighborhood people cleaned litter simply because they did not want to live with it - nor did they want their children to. In the more affluent areas, including downtown at this point, it is true that the private companies make a huge difference. But before that, people cleaned themselves - including me.

I brought this idea with me to Harlem but, like others, I have tired of cleaning up after people, and what's the point ? Literally, in 24 hours, a clean lot is trashed.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
They also do that by me in the Bronx....they just throw trash right out the window and I just can't understand why someone would do that. The good news is (if there is good news) is that employees are diligent in cleaning up the grounds daily.
Around here, I think the security cameras are increasingly being installed for that reason - to catch quality-of-life infringers. I do not think it is the primary reason, but I do think it is one intended side effect. The landlords can be responsible for the accumulation of garbage and litter, fines and so on, and they would therefore have an interest.

Perhaps you could push for the same. Not that security cameras do not open a whole other problematic, but what can you do ?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
True, but the point is you want to have a clean place, and if you set the example people DO follow. And I will add this: While there is trash on the streets, and I do see people throwing trash from the housing projects, or on the street, there are also full garbage cans on the corners, which tells me plenty of people prefer the garbage cans.

I think in general people do make the effort.

As for security cameras, I already have them, not because people throw garbage on my property, but because I have so many problems with sanitation taking my garbage! A typical conversation with the Sanitation inspectors goes something like this: "My guys came out here and they said those bags were not out there. So why are you blaming my guys." To which I respond: "Now let's go to the videotape. Now you see him walking past my garbage bags?"

Unfortunately for them, they don't realize the cams are hidden. Oh well! On occasion the cams also serve to catch inspectors giving either bogus tickets, or tickets for garbage which is not mine. They are worth every penny and I recommend them 100%.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
"Might be worse there" is an indication of a person who has no experience of Harlem.
You are right, I have not been to all of Harlem, only a very little bit of it on the western side. This is a big city, it is near impossible to go to every neighborhood in the city, so sometimes I have to take other people's word for it and if someone from Harlem tells me that their area has a bigger trash problem, then I am gonna give that person the benefit because they live in that neighborhood.

So what's your point?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I just wish more New Yorkers would pick up after themselves....only reason for the generalization because I don't have the time to name each person...but yes, people in this city have a tendency just to throw their trash onto the streets rather than take the time to properly get rid of their waste.
Yes, I agree: SOME people in this city have a tendency just to throw their trash onto the streets rather than take the time to properly get rid of their waste.
If the majority of NYC inhabitants were so disgusting (as you claim), this city would be similar to Mumbai or Bogota when it comes to filth.
And - fortunately - it's actually better.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Yes, I agree: SOME people in this city have a tendency just to throw their trash onto the streets rather than take the time to properly get rid of their waste.
If the majority of NYC inhabitants were so disgusting (as you claim), this city would be similar to Mumbai or Bogota when it comes to filth.
And - fortunately - it's actually better.
That is like saying "I got a D on my test, which is better than an F." Yes, but it isn't good enough...that is the point I am saying. Sure there are trashier places, but that is no excuse for us. While it is SOME people or more like MANY people, we are a huge city after all, that do litter, it is ALL of NYC's responsibility to make sure their own city stay clean.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
FYI Italianuser, many of those sparkling clean neighborhoods have their own private santiation crews which clean the streets and sidewalks. Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Park Ave, etc stay clean not because their residents are clean, but because the businesses pay to clean the areas. Take away all those private sanitation companies and you would see how filthy even the "nice" areas become.
Yes, I know that the BID (business improvement district) keep the the most affluent nabes reasonably tidy: but such areas are also the most touristic ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City