Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanticorrupt View Post
lots of conservative people out here. a shame people justify wrongs so easily.
The only "wrong" I see here is a cheapskate inventing stories of corruption that doesn't exist in order to rationalize their own tawdriness.

Your thread is a dime-a-dozen. Think you're the first to cry wolf over "suggested donations"? There's always lots of similar threads where the OP has nothing better to do than gripe over a donation they have no obligation to pay- but it sure reveals a lot about their lack of character, and their desire to be stroked for wanting something for nothing.

Last edited by Alkonost; 06-27-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Basically i'd like to know why you would attack me as not being genuine? You don't know anything about me. Basically, you have way too much time on your hands and very little maturity or intelligence to use it. Please refrain from insulting people you don't klnow.
This is funny. Re-read what you just wrote! You tell me to refrain from insulting people I don't know AT THE SAME TIME you insult my intelligence! So funny. You, my dear, are a piece of work. Keep it up! We need more entertainment around here.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I love all the arguments that do not even come near to addressing the FACT that St John the Money-Grubber fleeces tourists. The Catholic Church has always raised a little extra money by selling masses - that is not an 'indulgence.' What are you talking about?

How is that like sticking a security guard in front of the church until people pay $10 to get in?

Jesus - i'm being attacked by real geniuses out here today. Keep it up - I love it.
maryanticorrupt
Not a member

Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
maryanticorrupt
Not a member
Formerly known as penive pam ?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Formerly known as penive pam ?
Hmm, maybe!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
For what it's worth, I was on a trip to NYC last weekend and stopped by St. John the Divine to have a look around last Saturday morning. We went in through the front doors and notice that there was a small plexi-glass box near the rear of the cathedral with a plaquard with "Donations" on it. There was nothing indicated a recommended donation of $10 and there was no security guard telling anyone that they needed to drop money in the box. There were probably around 50 people wandering around, including a group on one of the paid historical tours that the church offers. We walked around for about 15 minutes and snapped a few pictures. Had I noticed a sign asking for a recommended donation, I would have gladly done so.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
One, you have a decision to pay the 10 dollars. You choose not to. That's not corruption. That's you making a choice. It would be corrupt if they FORCED you to pay 10 dollars after you walked in and didn't allow you to leave until you did.

Two, a REAL new yorker would have asked if you HAD to pay 10 dollars instead of assumed. You saw the sign, assumed something, then were told it's suggested.

Three, they can make up ANY PRICE THEY WANT. If you don't want to pay it, fine, there are other churches that you can worship at. But you slam the church anyways for bad art, so whats the point of visiting?

I'm just confused why you would make an account blasting the Church when all they want is some cash so whiners like you can get in free. I'm sorry, not whiner I mean "real new yorker".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City