Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The level of unnecessary stupidity in this world is incredible!!!

For anyone to think that show a whole level of misunderstand of American heritage!!!
Wow, take it easy.

If I'm not mistaken, the poster's friend was a child like I was (about 4-5 years old), when I thought that there were only Jews and Catholics in the world (i.e., my neighborhood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 AM

88,518 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Wow, take it easy.

If I'm not mistaken, the poster's friend was a child like I was (about 4-5 years old), when I thought that there were only Jews and Catholics in the world (i.e., my neighborhood).
Yes, this was when she was a little kid, not as an adult, lol! She's now in her fifties and a volunteer at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, so yeah, she's got some knowledge of American heritage.

When I was a kid in my little town 30 miles NW of the city, someone opened a store called Grandma's Bagels. We kids had no idea what they sold there. My father tried to explain that it was a type of bread that Jewish people ate that was shaped like a doughnut. Didn't sound very exciting. It closed after about a month.

Now there is a great bagel store near where that one was, and everybody knows what they sell there. The world has expanded.

And in that same town, the first Catholic church was built in 1959, and when I was a kid my nasty, cranky, grandfather was still complaining about how all these Catholic Irish, Italians and Polish people were moving in from the city and taking over our town. I never could quite figure out what was supposed to be so wrong with them.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
The level of unnecessary stupidity in this world is incredible!!!

For anyone to think that show a whole level of misunderstand of American heritage!!!

And the voluntary ignorance continues.

NO! WHERE do you get these ideas???

You just grew up in a poor and largely ignorant environment, and you have let it define you and your knowledge.

How do you expect to get a job and income commensurate with your alleged Degree if you do not widen your scope and open your mind.

Imagine, you go on an interview, and say something like that! It belies the reality that despite your college education, there is a HUGE gap in real knowledge, and it questions your capability to evaluate and gather information.

Kinda explains how Transplants with allegedly lessor education can live in a building where you hold the doors.

Harsh, but necessary.

Fulfill your potential.

Change!

[The thought above is based upon your personal comments, whinnings, and statements.]
Whose whining I'm an athiest. I can give a rats arse about the Catholic church. Abandoning the church was the best thing for me to do. Religion only holds people back and shows no real and truthful knowledge. And no I never let the hood define my knowledge, it was something that I had to reject. Two you don't know me. Your just a delusional right winger in sheep's clothes you Herman Cain loving noobie. I'm happy for your American heritage of Jim crow Dr king baptisim. You should tell your people to abandon church and maybe, just maybe they will see the true light of things. Im only a first generation American, if my ancestors were on this soil for the past 230 years rather black or Anglo I would have made sure I would have made something of myself to pass on wealth to future generations of seed In this country. Sadly that never happened and people who are descedents of 1776 plague our jails, housing pj's, abortion clinics, welfare, you name it.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-15-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Is it that difficult to look the demographics?

Anyway, non-Catholic Christians as of 2001 makeup roughly 34%: Catholics 68%; Jewish 9%

So, despite stereotypes and prejudices, NYC is firmly Christian, and indeed a majority Catholic. While Jewish are a large minority.

Demographics of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jewish population grew in NYC. That wikipedia data is a decade old and and outdated. Expand your knowledg and and research and move away from wikipedia.

Nearly one in four Brooklyn residents are Jews, new*study finds * - NY Daily News

Next time look and search and you will find a better answer.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,455 times
Quote:
Is it that difficult to look the demographics?

Anyway, non-Catholic Christians as of 2001 makeup roughly 34%: Catholics 68%; Jewish 9%

So, despite stereotypes and prejudices, NYC is firmly Christian, and indeed a majority Catholic. While Jewish are a large minority.

Demographics of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't go to wikipedia articles for definitive answers. Besides that figure contradicts the several other links provided in this thread not to mention if you checked (which you didn't) that figure is coming from a broken source that you can't even access anymore and finally that is detailing the demographics of new york state not new york city .

So do some some research yourself before snapping on people like you have in this thread.

Last edited by Mhundred; 07-15-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I don't go to wikipedia articles for definitive answers. Besides that figure contradicts the several other links provided in this thread not to mention if you checked (which you didn't) that figure is coming from a broken source that you can't even access anymore and finally that is detailing the demographics of new york state not new york city .

So do some some research yourself before snapping on people like you have in this thread.
Wikipedia is only great to read trivia and thats about it. I dont know why Jcole used wikipedia while an updated recent source is actually under his nose.

Reps for you bro.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am AMAZED tha there are so few Protestants
I guess I live too close to Carnegie Hill where every church seems to be Episcopal.
Just because there are a ton of leftover Episcopal and Presbyterian churches around the wealthy parts of the city doesn't mean anyone attends them. Since their former congregations were quite wealthy, so were the parish churches, and so they live on with very few congregants due to a substantial endowment.

New York City, as cited elsewhere, is about 55% Catholic and 25% Jewish, with the remaining 20% scattered about evenly between mainline Protestants, evangelical Protestants, Muslims and other religions. Among believers, anyway. Proclaimed nonbelievers are probably 10% of the population, plus a ton of non-practicing Catholics and Jews (and other religions).

Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
A refresher for those who might be unaware of the origins of Protestantism. Virtually, if not literally, all non-Catholic Christians are Protestant in origin. Martin Luther 'nailed' the Catholic Church and began the splits:

Protestant Reformation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virtually all, except for the 300 million eastern orthodox christians, not in communion with the roman catholic church since about 1000 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: