Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Someone better teach the bad guys how to read the laws.
No state has tougher laws than us. What good do laws do.
Absolutely. I'm in favor of laws that prevent a person from getting these kinds of weapons in the first place. A law prohibiting him from carrying his gun in the theater? Not real helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times

Corrections/Clarifications:
* This ordinance banning the carrying of "dangerous weapons" was deemed "unenforceable" when Colorado state prohibited cities and counties from enforcing such laws in 2003. After talking to officials the Aurora Police Department, we found that counties can now issue concealed-and-carry permits, BUT in Aurora, it is still against the law to fire the weapon unless at a shooting range (or if you are an officer on duty). Therefore, it would have been illegal for anyone to fire in the theater. Also, the theater banned any and all weapons. Anyone without a conceal-and-carry permit in Aurora must also keep their guns unloaded unless at a range.
** See Aurora Code Sec. 94-146a: "It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, shoot, or discharge any firearm; crossbow; bow and arrow; slingshot; blowgun; BB gun or pellet gun, whether powered with gunpowder, compressed air, or gas cartridges; gas gun; or any weapon whatsoever within the city limits. However, such discharge, firing, or shooting by any law enforcement officer, federal, state, county, or city, in the course of his or her official duty shall not be deemed a violation of this subsection, and such discharge, firing, or shooting at commercial, private, or public shooting ranges or by authorized classes of schools or universities at all times under proper instruction and supervision as may be authorized or permitted by law shall not be deemed a violation of this subsection."
*** Aurora Police Department confirmed this is the case within the city limits and without a conceal-and-carry permit from the appropriate county. See Aurora Code Sec. 94-144.5.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Yodel ,You mean like all the laws that keep the streets from seeing drugs?

The only thing missing from your wish is once upon a time.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM

So I guess you're in favor of legalizing drugs mathjak?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
no im not but there are just somethings that more laws will not stop.

guns on the street and drugs are 2 of them. it s not about laws at all.

its finding the root of the guns hitting the streets . its the manufacturers who have security breaches and hundreds of guns vanish from shipment each year. its criminal dealers with federal firearm permits .

the real issues have nothing to do with more laws.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
[u][b] in Aurora, it is still against the law to fire the weapon unless at a shooting range (or if you are an officer on duty). Therefore, it would have been illegal for anyone to fire in the theater. Also, the theater banned any and all weapons. Anyone without a conceal-and-carry permit in Aurora must also keep their guns unloaded unless at a range.
Of course it's illegal to fire your weapon inside a theater.
But is it illegal to carry provided you have a CCW? No.

That PARTICULAR business didn't allow weapons though.
What a silly law that says you can't walk around with a loaded gun UNLESS you have a CCW.
That's why I l o v e Nevada.
You don't need a CCW to walk with a loaded firearm provided it's not concealed.
I see it all the time.
I like being able to walk armed with no permit, but you couldn't pay me to do it.
I CCW every day all day.
Can't imagine what that gunman would have done had he seen a weapon on somebody's hip.
That person would have been shot first.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Neither. And I won't use this tragedy as an excuse to debate gun control/ pro-gun. Have fun, I'm out.
But that still doesn't answer my root question, what is the point of a high bullet magazine? It seems like its sole purpose is to shoot more things, and there is nothing I can think of that can justify the need for it so therefore it should be illegal to make and sell them in our country.

Also for those who say more laws don't help, often times laws are created not to stop someone, but to charge someone with something. If we had no laws, then nothing would technically be illegal. If someone would of stopped this kid before he got into the theater, he would of been charged for breaking one of these laws, but unfortunately that did not happen, but he will be charged with murdering people when our court system does its job.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But that still doesn't answer my root question, what is the point of a high bullet magazine?
Correct, I purposely skipped the straw man argument attacking high capacity magazines.We should be focusing on the victims and dealing with psycho murderers.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Of course it's illegal to fire your weapon inside a theater.
But is it illegal to carry provided you have a CCW? No.

That PARTICULAR business didn't allow weapons though.
What a silly law that says you can't walk around with a loaded gun UNLESS you have a CCW.
That's why I l o v e Nevada.
You don't need a CCW to walk with a loaded firearm provided it's not concealed.
I see it all the time.
I like being able to walk armed with no permit, but you couldn't pay me to do it.
I CCW every day all day.
Can't imagine what that gunman would have done had he seen a weapon on somebody's hip.
That person would have been shot first.
Personally I support a business's right to decide what happens on their private property. If a business wishes to say something isn't allowed in their place, I see that as being within their right with their own property and business.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no im not but there are just somethings that more laws will not stop.

guns on the street and drugs are 2 of them. it s not about laws at all.

its finding the root of the guns hitting the streets . its the manufacturers who have security breaches and hundreds of guns vanish from shipment each year. its criminal dealers with federal firearm permits .

the real issues have nothing to do with more laws.
If laws do nothing to stop drugs, why do you support them? Do you really believe that stronger gun laws would save on one, or just not enough to justify the trade off?

The above would be a logical arguement if it were only illegal guns killing people, but firearms bought legally also kill plenty of people. Also agree that assault weapons/high capacity magazines should not be legal. I don't see a purpose for this either.

Last edited by yodel; 07-22-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City