Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM

29 posts, read 77,579 times

Advertisements

I never got why people called Manhattan the city either, I just call it Manhattan. When people are referring to the city, in my head I think of all 5 boroughs not just one. It's stupid really, because I think Brooklyn or Queens (all the outer boroughs really) is just as much New York City as Manhattan is.

Which leads me into my next issue, when people think Brooklyn and Queens are Long Island and not NYC. But, let's not get started on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 12:17 AM

167 posts, read 306,207 times
if you want people to know you are a transplant, say manhattan

if you don't want people to know you are a transplant, say the city

- a transplant living in the city, proper

Old 07-30-2012, 12:22 AM

29 posts, read 77,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
if you want people to know you are a transplant, say manhattan

if you don't want people to know you are a transplant, say the city

- a transplant living in the city, proper
Why do you have to be a transplant to call Manhattan Manhattan? I'm a NYer born and raised and I don't call it the city. I call it what it's supposed to be called and I call the 5 boroughs collectively the city. I really don't understand why people have such a problem with this.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees1237 View Post
Why do you have to be a transplant to call Manhattan Manhattan? I'm a NYer born and raised and I don't call it the city. I call it what it's supposed to be called and I call the 5 boroughs collectively the city. I really don't understand why people have such a problem with this.
Eh. I grew up in Brooklyn and everyone called Manhattan "the city". It was like that when I went to high school and the students came from all 5 boroughs, so it wasn't just a Brooklyn thing. It's just something a lot of NYC natives do. It's not that big a deal.

There's no "supposed" to be called this or that here. It's just a colloquialism.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 AM

167 posts, read 306,207 times
Quote:
you don't have to be, I don't care

its just classical conditioning:

I called it manhattan and everyone would raise an eyebrow and ask where I was from

I called it the city and nobody bats an eyelid

people in manhattan don't care though, but most of us working professionals living there are transplants

Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Trust me, I don't need a history lesson about my city.

I'm fully aware that New Amsterdam was actually just the tip of Manhattan (some parts of Brooklyn are actually older than majority of Manhattan, I'm sure you're knowledgeable about this) and I'm finally aware why the name changed to New York.

What I posted wasn't really a question either, now that I think about it. Before 1898 Manhattan was referred to as "The City Of New York" (as well as Manhattan/New York, etc) only after the annexation, the term "New York City" became prominent and relevant.
First, the response was aimed at everyone who appeared a bit 'light' on knowledge!

Second, you used the term "always thought", so that was rather clear. If your meaning was something other, I'm not a mind reader and neither is anyone else!

As far as your comment/question, for roughly 50 to 100 years after the English takeover, the colony was know as NEW, York, as in a new world version of 'York', Britian.

'New York' or 'New York City' in the modern sense, separate in meaning from the above, did not begin to occur until after the revolutiion and at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

Actually, the modern view, as a leading city AND specifically, leading PORT city, coincided with the development of the Erie Canal, and the water route from the Great Lake states to the Port of NY. Without the success thereof, we would not be having this conversation.

So, the 'Consolidation' is NOT the pivitol event for New York City, the opening of the Erie Canal created NYC, as well as the 'Empire' state.

Yours was simply the last point of conversation exhibiting a similar theme.

Btw, virtually everyone, especially natives, could use a history lesson on NYC, its origins and development.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Quote:
'Outer Borough Syndrome'?

Some natives suffer a lower sense of esteem in regard to their borough as a separate entity from the 'city'. Consequently, they tend to conotate and emphasize the Citiy's inclusion of their borough.

This might be correlated to the level of negatvity toward a particular borough.

Most natives have a great sense of pride in regard to their 'home' borough, and most specifically their home neeighborhood. Consequently, they make great effort to distinguish between their borough/neighborhood and Manhattan/the 'City'.

Many do not wish to be thought of as 'Manhattanites'.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM

35 posts, read 127,000 times
I am a born and raised NYer. I was born and raised in Manhattan. I still live in Manhattan. Those of us who grew up here never call it "the city". Because we rarely leave Manhattan. When we go to Brooklyn, etc, and we're asked where we live, we say the neighborhood (Gramercy, Upper East Side, Hell's Kitchen), etc. The same when we are talking to others in Manhattan. Because that gives a better explanation than just saying "the city" or "Manhattan". The only people that call it "the city" are those who didn't grow up in Manhattan. I don't mean that to be snobby, it's just true. As someone said, it's the financial hub and if you're in the middle of it, you don't often refer to it. I would also guess, tho, that it's because Manhattan is a mouthful. It's easier to say "the city".
Sorry, guys, but I agree with nyyankees1237. Manhattanites never say "the city".

Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,583 times
The city means mostly midtown when someone says the city I don't think uptown and Harlem I think mostly midtown

Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Some NYers do it, while some others don't. Funnily enough, the folks doing it live in the 'city' of New York Themselves. Where did this trend start or where and what era this this come from ? Is it the skyscrapers, then comes the question, not all large cities have an abundunce of skyscrapers ? But at the same time again, centers with big populations are cities in definition, Brooklyn and Queens are the largest boroughs in that matter.. When someone says 'I am going to the city' and I respond 'which city are you going too'

I refer to Manhattan as 'Manhattan'.. There is only one... and you ?
Media and just read olyaks post.

Manhattan as a whole is very underdeveloped and still looks like a ghetto. Only certain areas you can call a city. Walk to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd avenue and you'll definitely think your in Brooklyn except all you'll see are white people. This especially true with regards to the famous UES, Harlem, and Hell's Kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City