Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,212 times

Advertisements

The city is 5 boroughs. Manhattan is Manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
because it is the main of part of ny
for all the boroughs.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
I'm a native and I say it sometimes. It's not a big deal. Just semantics.

Maybe it bugs some people who are very prideful about being from the "outer boroughs" but when people say city in that context they are referring to the main economic engine which is downtown Manhattan no offense. They are thinking skyscrapers and massive density.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-27-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
I use "the city" and "Manhattan" interchangeably. However, I'd usually say a specific neighborhood name as well.

I also use "downtown" (ex. going downtown for Juniors) to mean downtown Brooklyn though, which I don't think is said anywhere outside of Brooklyn.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I use "the city" and "Manhattan" interchangeably. However, I'd usually say a specific neighborhood name as well.

I also use "downtown" (ex. going downtown for Juniors) to mean downtown Brooklyn though, which I don't think is said anywhere outside of Brooklyn.
I find myself doing this now more than ever as well.

Agreed that when in Brooklyn, "Downtown" is Downtown BK. It stuck even after we annexed because we're the only other borough with a true Downtown district.

I don't really care when people say going to the city = Manhattan (mostly that's said by people that lives in the boroughs so that's no big deal), I just cringe when I see (on here mostly) people using the term outer boroughs. It just seems out of touch/obsolete with how the entire city operates now. I could see the term being relevant in the 1920's but in 2013. . . . I just don't see it.

As a Brooklynite we're second to none - NONE! Lol

Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,057 times
Why do some people refer to Manhattan as the City?

Because it makes sense.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
As a Brooklynite we're second to none - NONE! Lol
Quoted For Truth

LMAO

Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,505 times
from Brooklyn, call it The City with locals and Manhattan with non-locals.

just how it is

Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,007 times
Default New Yorkers should try using some Tact

The fact that New Yorkers reffer to Manhattan as the "The City" comes across as totally arorgant to the rest of the country. It infers there's no worthy city anyplace else. It comes across as doubly arrogant when New Yorkers scoff at the notion that this isn't a universally accepted part of everyones lexicon. Despite the complete douchiness of using "The City" as a synonym for Manhattan I can almost understand when it's used by New Yorkers wile at home. "When in Rome Act like a Douche" What's baffeling to the rest of us is when New Yorkers continue to use it even when visiting other cities. I vividly remember being introduced to someone from Manhattan at a party in Boston many years ago. When I asked where she was from she responded with "I'm from the City". When I asked her with a puzzled look "What city?" she responded "Well of course Manhattan! What other city is there?".This type of sheer arrogance is what makes people dislike New Yorkers. The most disturbing part is that she had no idea how ignorant she sounded. I agree Manhatten is a great city but it's not the center of the universe for everyone. So if your a New Yorker the next time you visit someplace else try to use a little common sense to avoid getting laughed at behind your back.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
That person you met was a weirdo, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

And there's nothing douchey about New Yorkers saying "the city" while in New York. Don't residents of all metro areas refer to their central cities as "the city"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City