Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times

Advertisements

I just find it ignorant that people on here believe some areas of NYC became dangerous due to blacks and hispanics moving in, true in some cases but some areas of the city but some areas have remain crime ridden regardless of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,939,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I just find it ignorant that people on here believe some areas of NYC became dangerous due to blacks and hispanics moving in, true in some cases but some areas of the city but some areas have remain crime ridden regardless of color.
It isn't about "color." It's about ghetto culture and the ghetto culture lifestyle.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
This author thought Brownsville went badly downhill in the 60s:

In New York today, the face of the city, Manhattan, is proud and glittering. But Manhattan is not the city. New York really is a sprawl of neighborhoods, which pile into one another. And it is down in the neighborhoods, down in the schools that are in the neighborhoods, where this city is cut and slashed and bleeding from someplace deep inside. The South Bronx is gone. East New York and Brownsville are gone. Jamaica is up for grabs.

Jimmy Breslin Runs to Win -- New York Magazine

Jimmy Breslin: Brownsville reminded him of Berlin after World War II; block after block of burned-out shells of houses, streets littered with decaying automobile hulks. The stores on the avenues are empty and the streets are lined with deserted apartment houses or buildings that have empty apartments on every floor.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,127,153 times
I never been inside NYC but I just went to google earth typed Brownsville New York and I think it just took me to the exact spot you described. lol Was there a johnny's cleaners nearby?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,593,272 times
Quote:
Out of curiousity, name one predominately white crime ridden neighborhood in NYC. I'm not being sarcastic, I just have never seen one and I've lived in NYC my entire life. If there is one I would love to know where.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,415,712 times
^ white people aren't hungry, so what
reason do they have to be violent
unless it's for liberty for themselves
or their allies?

poverty breeds crime, ignorance and
violence; no better way to explain it.

since it is all a form of weakness,
that is why the poor tend to prey
on each other more than anyone
else.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,061,253 times
Brownsville, never ran, never will

Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,593,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ white people aren't hungry, so what
reason do they have to be violent
unless it's for liberty for themselves
or their allies?

poverty breeds crime, ignorance and
violence; no better way to explain it.

since it is all a form of weakness,
that is why the poor tend to prey
on each other more than anyone
else.
I dont disagree with you. I was just responding to Bronxguyanese's post about parts of the city being crime ridden regardless of race or color.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,061,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I dont disagree with you. I was just responding to Bronxguyanese's post about parts of the city being crime ridden regardless of race or color.
Well here is another example.

Back in 1980, my census tract was about 34 % Puerto Rican, 33 % African American, and 33% White, and during that year it had an insanely high crime rate. Fast forward to 2012, where it's about 80% Hispanic, 20% Black, and it's crime rate is low. Unless you think that Puerto Ricans and African Americans where more apt to commit crimes 30 years ago, my neighborhood was worse when 1/3rd of the population was white.

This is the same for all the census tracts in the south Bronx in the 80's. All still had a semblance of a white population, and crime was very high.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,813,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Well here is another example.

Back in 1980, my census tract was about 34 % Puerto Rican, 33 % African American, and 33% White, and during that year it had an insanely high crime rate. Fast forward to 2012, where it's about 80% Hispanic, 20% Black, and it's crime rate is low. Unless you think that Puerto Ricans and African Americans where more apt to commit crimes 30 years ago, my neighborhood was worse when 1/3rd of the population was white.

This is the same for all the census tracts in the south Bronx in the 80's. All still had a semblance of a white population, and crime was very high.
Following that point, while advances in different aspects are a big reason for the drop in crime, a number of south brooklyn precincts back then which were predominantly working class white at the time had ridiculously high crime rates... 61st comes to mind... Also, my neighborhood itself has never been safer while the demographics continue to diversify... Back in the 70s and 80s, the crime rate was high when the hispanic population was probably hovering around 5-10% and every other group was nearly non-existant... Even in the 50s and 60s, word is there were gangs like the Ridgewood boys (very violent italian gang) that used to terrorize the neighborhood as well as parts of Bushwick... Crime eventually peaked in the 90s for the 104 and now that the demographics are somewhere around 50% hispanic, 35% White 10% asian 5% black circa 2012... the crime rate is at its lowest point since the 60s...

You can say what you want nowadays about black and hispanic people in NYC being the main culprits of crime... Fact is though, it has more to do with poverty than anything else... Most of the working class white areas back then have either become black/hispanic/asian working class areas or have become middle class white/mixed areas...

Last edited by anon1; 08-22-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City