Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM

66 posts, read 272,164 times

Advertisements

I hate when I here people outside of NYC say it is so expensive. I was born and raised in the South and hate it. I would not want to live in the Mid-West or in any suburb. I live in Astoria where it is quiet, clean, and safe.
I make $120,000 a year.
My take home is $6,000 a month.
I always put $2000 a month in savings.
My rent for my large TRUE one bedroom with private outdoor space is $2000 a month.
I probably pay ConEd no more than $100 a month, gym membership $80 a month, cable and internet $120 a month, cell phone and wireless plan for iPad $100 a month.
I have a car that is paid off and a parking space that is $200 a month.
My car insurance is about $100 a month.
I keep my car to take out of town trips when I want to, but other than that I have an unlimited Metro card for $112 a month.
I problem spend no more than $88 a month in gas.
I have no student loans and very little credit card debt (the military paid for me to go to school and I only use my Delta AmEX for plane tickets and to pay those monthly bills.)
I have plenty of money left over each month to spend and live within my budget so that I never have to worry about money.

It can be done. If you make half what I make, then you will need a roommate. If you have student loans, then you would struggle a bit. If you make a third or less than what I make, then you will always be broke in NYC. That's when you make the decision to live somewhere down South were you will have a take home of $1750 to $2000 a month and probably still be broke paying for rent or mortgage/pmi/property taxes/insurance, car note and insurance, car registration, GAS (you will most likely live in the suburbs along with the new suburban poor), light/gas/water/sewer, in addition cell phone, gym (which is not as high as New York unless you go to Blink or Planet Fitness). But of course if it is two of ya, it would make things a lot easier in New York and outside of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup2008 View Post
I hate when I here people outside of NYC say it is so expensive. I was born and raised in the South and hate it. I would not want to live in the Mid-West or in any suburb. I live in Astoria where it is quiet, clean, and safe.
I make $120,000 a year.
My rent for my large TRUE one bedroom with private outdoor space is $2000 a month.
I probably pay ConEd no more than $100 a month, gym membership $80 a month, cable and internet $120 a month, cell phone and wireless plan for iPad $100 a month.
I keep my car to take out of town trips when I want to, but other than that I have an unlimited Metro card for $112 a month.
I have no student loans and very little credit card debt (the military paid for me to go to school and I only use my Delta AmEX for plane tickets and to pay those monthly bills.)
I have plenty of money left over each month to spend and live within my budget so that I never have to worry about money.

It can be done. If you make half what I make, then you will need a roommate. If you have student loans, then you would struggle a bit. If you make a third or less than what I make, then you will always be broke in NYC. That's when you make the decision to live somewhere down South were you will have a take home of $1750 to $2000 a month and probably still be broke paying for rent or mortgage/pmi/property taxes/insurance, car note and insurance, car registration, GAS (you will most likely live in the suburbs along with the new suburban poor), light/gas/water/sewer, in addition cell phone, gym (which is not as high as New York unless you go to Blink or Planet Fitness). But of course if it is two of ya, it would make things a lot easier in New York and outside of New York.
It is really rather smug someone earning >$1K per year to say that NYC is *not* expensive. It is all relative and everyone's situation is different. You have done alright for yourself but not everyone can or has run with the same game plan.

Every year numerous studies by all and sundry list NYC as one of the most expensive places to live. Can persons live here even without making bank? Of course, plenty have done so in the past, present and will likely in future.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM

66 posts, read 272,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is really rather smug someone earning >$1K per year to say that NYC is *not* expensive. It is all relative and everyone's situation is different. You have done alright for yourself but not everyone can or has run with the same game plan.

Every year numerous studies by all and sundry list NYC as one of the most expensive places to live. Can persons live here even without making bank? Of course, plenty have done so in the past, present and will likely in future.
I get it Bugsby. But I still find NYC expensive. One day I want to buy a single family home, but on my 120k salary, I know I can't, not in NYC. I know one day I will have to leave because I don't know how much longer I can stand living with people I don't know above me. :-)

Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
I get it Bugsby. But I still find NYC expensive. One day I want to buy a single family home, but on my 120k salary, I know I can't, not in NYC. I know one day I will have to leave because I don't know how much longer I can stand living with people I don't know above me. :-)
Can't you save up enough money to make a sizable down payment, find a good lender with favorable terms, and then rent out part of your house (this is easier if you buy a townhouse, etc.) to help pay the mortgage?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
I dont live in New York but a friend of mine went there for vacation a few years back. Said that just about every single person out there had their hand out wanting a tip for every little thing and that if you didnt give it then you didnt get squat. I dont have the funds to go on vacation and hand everyone money let alone live in such a place.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont live in New York but a friend of mine went there for vacation a few years back. Said that just about every single person out there had their hand out wanting a tip for every little thing and that if you didnt give it then you didnt get squat. I dont have the funds to go on vacation and hand everyone money let alone live in such a place.
It's funny when people who have never even stepped foot in NYC feel they have the authority to comment about the cost of living here. "But my friend who went there on vacation said..."

Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 PM

298 posts, read 707,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I was in Midtown West today and I believe her. Even Elmo wants a tip.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
I hate when I here people outside of NYC say it is so expensive.

I have no student loans ...
Your condescending arrogance is astounding. Many people, both in- and outside New York, have enormous student loan debt. This creates a reality where they find New York "expensive."

Instead of seeing this as some sort of natural gift or attribute, you should understand your debt-free education as something that was a gift - and a big one. This means that you were lucky, not that you are superior.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Depends on what you're already accustomed to. I was paying $1800/mo for my apartment in Seattle and decided to go cheap and get an $800 share in Bushwick, so it's all relative.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
I make $120,000 a year.

How is your car insurance only $100 a month? Not registered to your address in Astoria or is it just a liability only coverage? I was paying like $240 in Brooklyn for a late model car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City