Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,855 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Bronx NY all of my life. I have observed the changes as well. When new groups of people come to NYC they always flock to the areas that have the lowest prices for housing. In Bronx NY that is the south part. We are talking about all of these groups of individuals who occupy Bronx NY, however we have not fully identified the actual groups. There are sub-groups that you need to identify when you are throwing around race. There are so many different kinds of Hispanics, Blacks, Whites and Asians in Bronx NY. The South Bronx now has a large population of Mexicans, Africans and Dominicans occupying the area. There are still a lot of Black Americans and Puerto Ricans in the South Bronx, however that is because of their economic status and the fact that they can't move.

For all of you ignorant people that use T.V. to gain insight of a group of people, enlighten yourself as you will find there are individuals in every racial group, culture and ethnicity that have poor people who are victims of society. It is human nature to want more in life. Example--Immigrants that come to this country all start off poor and impoverished. Jews, Italians and Albanians exc.. were said to be criminals and mobsters when they came to the USA initially. The stereotype left out one thing thing- that every group that migrated (willingly or by force) to the USA have hard working people and criminals.

A smart person looking for housing should educate themselves about the area by going to the location and investigating. An educated well rounded individual would want to live in a diverse population so that their children grow up to be well rounded educated people. By the way-- ghettos are created by the landlords, therefore they are slum-lords.

Definition---Webster Dictionary:

1--a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2--a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3--a:an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 AM

579 posts, read 945,989 times
Default Article in today's NY Times - What's great about living in the bronx

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/re...the-bronx.html

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM

144 posts, read 324,668 times
Mott Haven is still a **** hole. I heard 31 gunshots last summer. There's just no no hope.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
Mott Haven is still a **** hole. I heard 31 gunshots last summer. There's just no no hope.
Tell us something new.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Somesnapper....if you believe it is a ****hole, you should probably move..what's stopping you? There is not only lots of "hope" for Mott Haven, it is already being rebuilt for the working and middle class...

Where do you find the only martini lounge south of the Cross Bronx? Mott Haven! (The Clock Bar http://www.theclockbar.com/ )

Where do you find the only sushi bar south of the Cross Bronx? Mott Haven! (Ceetay http://www.ceetay.com/ )

Where do you find the most expensive condos ever sold south of the Cross Bronx? Mott Haven (Bronx Bricks Condos http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/re...te/05post.html older article but all sold!)

But why take my word for it...I mean..clearly a place that has "no hope" would open these amenities..right?

The list goes on...and there are those who can't look past their own poverty to see it....no surprise there. But the Southern Bronx is changing, in particular areas around Yankee Stadium, Mott Haven, and Melrose. Place your bets folks...

Last edited by SobroGuy; 01-08-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times
Up and coming?

Port Morris, Mott Haven, Melrose, Lower Concourse, Parkchester, Norwood, Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East. These areas have been getting more and more popular.

Soon?

Probably Longwood and the rest of the Concourse.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

The list goes on...and there are those who can't look past their own poverty to see it....no surprise there. But the Southern Bronx is changing, in particular areas around Yankee Stadium, Mott Haven, and Melrose. Place your bets folks...
There are a lot of nice new buildings that I see from the 2 train every time I take it into lower Manhattan. Yes, its definitely gotten better. The housing projects are still around, though, looking as ugly as ever.

But at least many of the burnt out lots from the 80s have had new buildings built on top of them. I've also noticed a lot of chains like Planet Fitness that are among the first to come to areas when they start improving. You've a lot of neighborhood grocery stores, drug stores, various small businesses, and bank branches, and these things help in attracting better people to neighborhoods.

I went exploring other parts of the Bronx two days ago, and I came across some nice co op buildings.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
So wait a min you counted 31 gun shots, thats equilvant to 3 rounds in a gun clip, thats all, must of been one major gun battle equilvant to the Ok Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Tell us something new.
I was waiting at the 4 train platform on Burnside avenue, 7 gun shots, I Noticed the shots came from Grand Avenue. Saw some guys running out and cursing in Dominican accented SPanish, crazy migente.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Up and coming?

Port Morris, Mott Haven, Melrose, Lower Concourse, Parkchester, Norwood, Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East. These areas have been getting more and more popular.

Soon?

Probably Longwood and the rest of the Concourse.
This is a tough one. A few days ago while waiting for the 6 train at 3av 138 street, I noticed a blonde hair woman with two heavy bags of luggage haulding her bags up the stairs, another day I saw a beardo do the samething. Port Morris and Mott Haven may attract artisits and some hipsters, maybe a few Yuppies, Lower Concourse will most def attract Artists, Yuppies and other professional folks especialyl since professional people already reside in the lower Concourse. I really dont want to mention areas outside the South Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are a lot of nice new buildings that I see from the 2 train every time I take it into lower Manhattan. Yes, its definitely gotten better. The housing projects are still around, though, looking as ugly as ever.

But at least many of the burnt out lots from the 80s have had new buildings built on top of them. I've also noticed a lot of chains like Planet Fitness that are among the first to come to areas when they start improving. You've a lot of neighborhood grocery stores, drug stores, various small businesses, and bank branches, and these things help in attracting better people to neighborhoods.

I went exploring other parts of the Bronx two days ago, and I came across some nice co op buildings.
Those nice buildings have income caps, I think its designed for Middle and working class folks which is good, its a step up in the right direction and way better than NYCHAprojects and old tenements for now. I dont know if the Bronx will attract Yuppies and other Professinonal folks, if anything I hope the Bronx can turn into something like Queens for the most part.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times
The BX needs a Hunters Point South type development in Port Morris minus the heavy income restrictions (Should be at least 80% market rate). The skyline views from there are incredible and transit is pretty quick to Midtown.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Those nice buildings have income caps, I think its designed for Middle and working class folks which is good, its a step up in the right direction and way better than NYCHAprojects and old tenements for now. I dont know if the Bronx will attract Yuppies and other Professinonal folks, if anything I hope the Bronx can turn into something like Queens for the most part.
Well, there are now a lot of recent immigrants in the Bronx, particularly Latin America, Caribbean, West African, and Middle Eastern. So in that sense I think the Bronx is turning into something like Queens. Recent immigrants open up a lot of small businesses, and that in and of itself, is a form of gentrification.

And by the way, professionals have ALWAYS lived in Queens. Professional doesn't equal hipster or transplant yuppy, and not all professionals who move to NYC are in places like Williamsburg. Some move to Queens (gasp), Westchester, Jersey, uptown Manhattan, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City