Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Feedback/knowledge greatly appreciated on the area 166th Street and Anderson Avenue and the Highbridge area in general.

In advance, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, there are now a lot of recent immigrants in the Bronx, particularly Latin America, Caribbean, West African, and Middle Eastern. So in that sense I think the Bronx is turning into something like Queens. Recent immigrants open up a lot of small businesses, and that in and of itself, is a form of gentrification.

And by the way, professionals have ALWAYS lived in Queens. Professional doesn't equal hipster or transplant yuppy, and not all professionals who move to NYC are in places like Williamsburg. Some move to Queens (gasp), Westchester, Jersey, uptown Manhattan, etc.
Professionals has and have always lived in all of the outer boroughs my dude. Immigrants have been opening shops and other types of establishments in the Bronx for years my friend its nothing new. Don't take it personal but welcome to the Bronx.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Feedback/knowledge greatly appreciated on the area 166th Street and Anderson Avenue and the Highbridge area in general.

In advance, thanks.
don't do highbridge. look somewhere else. behemoth of crime, drugs, poverty, disease, and very unappealing to the eye.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
don't do highbridge. look somewhere else. behemoth of crime, drugs, poverty, disease, and very unappealing to the eye.
Even worse. Have you ever been to Highbridge during the winter, very very very windy and ice form on the areas hilly topography makes it an accident or law suit waiting to happen.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Thanks for the feedback on Highbridge. Was asking for someone - not for myself. I don't think I would touch the Bronx if you paid me. Besides - Brooklyn and the Bronx have a history of never having gotten along.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Unappealing to the eye? I disagree. Some nice buildings there constructed in the Tudor and Art Deco styles. The Highbridge is set to open next year and very accessible to the parks north of Yankee Stadium. The hilly terrain gives it a very WaHi feel as well. Despite those hills mass transit access is decent too, no part of the neighborhood is farther then .5 a mile from the 4 train. Most people live well within that.

I won't disagree that the community has problems, but it has even more potential.

The Bronx needs a Hunters Point South type development in Port Morris! A new, modern Third Ave El. And a campaign advertising the significant parkland, great transit, diversity, and local amenities it has to offer. So much potential.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Unappealing to the eye? I disagree. Some nice buildings there constructed in the Tudor and Art Deco styles. The Highbridge is set to open next year and very accessible to the parks north of Yankee Stadium. The hilly terrain gives it a very WaHi feel as well. Despite those hills mass transit access is decent too, no part of the neighborhood is farther then .5 a mile from the 4 train. Most people live well within that.

I won't disagree that the community has problems, but it has even more potential.

The Bronx needs a Hunters Point South type development in Port Morris! A new, modern Third Ave El. And a campaign advertising the significant parkland, great transit, diversity, and local amenities it has to offer. So much potential.

I'm not sure if you know NYkiddo but the aqueduct over the Harlem River which seperates High Bridge and Washington Heights is going to reopen and remade as a pedestrian walk way. It was sad too because on 1010 wins little boy who grew up in Washington Heights but moved to West Bronx with his mom likes the idea of the pedestrian walkway over the aquaduct so taht he can visit family over in Washington Heights by walking across the bridge. Plenty of people who live in that part of the Bronx have family across the river in the heights, it will bring families a little closer. I do feel its a great idea to reopen this pedestrian bridge.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm not sure if you know NYkiddo but the aqueduct over the Harlem River which seperates High Bridge and Washington Heights is going to reopen and remade as a pedestrian walk way. It was sad too because on 1010 wins little boy who grew up in Washington Heights but moved to West Bronx with his mom likes the idea of the pedestrian walkway over the aquaduct so taht he can visit family over in Washington Heights by walking across the bridge. Plenty of people who live in that part of the Bronx have family across the river in the heights, it will bring families a little closer. I do feel its a great idea to reopen this pedestrian bridge.
It's a great idea to reestablish the link between the two areas. Even better is the addition of a bicycle lane, to further enhance the slowly developing citywide network. I can't believe it took so damn long though.

The Highbridge Park is a major advantage of living in those communities. I believe they even have a mountain bike trail.

BTW, killer views from the bridge of Midtown.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

In advance, thanks.
Are you kidding? Avoid Highbridge. One of the densest, ugliest, graffiti/drug ridden neighborhoods in the city. I shudder when I think of those western blocks like Ogden, Anderson, Shakespeare etc

Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I remember hearing about the development while I was living there and I'm surprised it's only supposed to open this year. Ah well, at least it is open. It used to be possible (and not too hard) to sneak on to that bridge which was pretty fun. I remember there were concerns about pedestrians throwing stuff down from the bridge, especially at boats (which was an incident that started off the bridge being closed in the first place), and I hope no one is that stupid to that again.

Totally sweet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City