Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 AM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance taught at Far Rockaway HS. He told me about the projects sometimes. I think there's 3 of them near the HS there. He heard from many teachers that if someone is white and driving through the area at night, not to stop at any red lights because of the bullets coming at you. I don't know if that's an exaggeration though.
there's only 2 within actual walking distance (Beach 41st Street houses and Redfern houses) and they're both about at least a 10-15 minute walk away
and they dont shoot at white people at night thats a huge exaggeration....
white people live out here too lol
they have however shot at the cops before from their roof that happens out here once in a blue. that happened in the 40eez before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:19 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,364 times
The Pink houses in East New York Brooklyn are as bad a development as you can find.....

Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,184 times
By bad, could anyone explain how bad? Like, compared to some of the former high rises in Chicago.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
By bad, could anyone explain how bad? Like, compared to some of the former high rises in Chicago.
i dont think any housing project in nyc beats anything in chicago during its heyday.
read the book "there are no children here" by alex kotzlowitz (sp) and your mouth will drop open.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i dont think any housing project in nyc beats anything in chicago during its heyday.
read the book "there are no children here" by alex kotzlowitz (sp) and your mouth will drop open.
I know at least some slight details of how horrid some of those in Chicago were. What I've been curious about for a while is if any, or how close any in NYC come to it. In Chicago they seem to blame it on "concentrated poverty" but comparing to NYC for instance, it seems more like in Chicago they basically just shoved a bunch of poor blacks into high rises and let them rot.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
I know at least some slight details of how horrid some of those in Chicago were. What I've been curious about for a while is if any, or how close any in NYC come to it. In Chicago they seem to blame it on "concentrated poverty" but comparing to NYC for instance, it seems more like in Chicago they basically just shoved a bunch of poor blacks into high rises and let them rot.
Dude it's kinda like that here too. It's called public housing. But why must they be black? There are poor Hispanics, poor whites, poor Asians. I find your comment to be ignorant

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Dude it's kinda like that here too. It's called public housing. But why must they be black? There are poor Hispanics, poor whites, poor Asians. I find your comment to be ignorant
It's called public housing, hey? Does that mean gangs regularly have shootouts to control territory for narcotics trading, like Chicago was? Not all public housing is the same. I live in a project right now, and it's lovely... no crime, well kept, very pleasant. I find your comment to be ignorant.
Chicago's worst projects we're over 99% black.
Even with public housing, different ethnic groups tend to segregate, either by choice or by policy.
The worst projects throughout the USA, almost always are almost all black residents. Nothing ignorant about it.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
In Chicago the CHA completely failed to maintain their public housing. The housing was also built a lot of cheaper and less durible then the PJ's in NYC.

However I belive this was part of a plot to eventually condemn the buildings. Let them rot, most people will leave and the remaining will get evicted. Next step gentrification.

There are PJ's in NYC that do have terrible maintaince up their with many of those in Chicago though. Randolph Rehabs just got vacated for gut rehibilitaion in Central Harlem. Prospect Plaza was litterally falling apart, got shut down. Both of these developments should be reopened soon. There are good number of other developments that need to be shut down and gut rehabed but the city won't do it, not many places to stick the displaced residents.

However in NYC the low income housing shortage is a lot worse then Chicago so people will deal with the bull**** anyway. NYCHA is also a terrible program and there are usually a good number of vacant apartments in PJ's of NYC. Apartments that could house low income families.

Prospect Plaza, Brownsville, Brooklyn (was due to be rehabed by 2005...):

http://www.batsonforbrooklyn.com/photo_essays/prospect/prospect-Images/23.jpg (broken link)

http://www.batsonforbrooklyn.com/photo_essays/prospect/prospect-Images/4.jpg (broken link)

http://www.batsonforbrooklyn.com/photo_essays/prospect/prospect-Images/0.jpg (broken link)

http://www.batsonforbrooklyn.com/photo_essays/prospect/prospect-Images/9.jpg (broken link)

http://www.batsonforbrooklyn.com/photo_essays/prospect/prospect-Images/13.jpg (broken link)

http://www.batsonforbrooklyn.com/photo_essays/prospect/prospect-Images/17.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-20-2007, 06:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
However in NYC the low income housing shortage is a lot worse then Chicago so people will deal with the bull**** anyway. NYCHA is also a terrible program and there are usually a good number of vacant apartments in PJ's of NYC. Apartments that could house low income families.
Sorry I disagree. I bet alot of those displace low income folks from Chicago will be in line to get into the housing projects in NYC. There is demand in this city cause it works better and they are in better service. Sure the city doesn't have all the money to maintain things at the same time, but they will when they can. I am sure they are not serve like people in condominiums, but are probably better serve than the poor who live in some of those tenemants with really bad landlords.

My uncle who lived in an East Harlem housing project building, said that his service was fair where he was. That his wife family who lived in tenaments, had it the worst and were trying to get in into housing projects themselves with no luck. Too much wait.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Sorry I disagree. I bet alot of those displace low income folks from Chicago will be in line to get into the housing projects in NYC.
hahahaha now that's funny, You must not be too familiar with the people in cha pjs.
I am willing to wager any amount that you care to that there won't be one person from chicago who was moved out of places like cabrini green coming to nyc, hell they don't even know where o'hare is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City