Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post
For a quick buck, try joining a paid research study. There's quite a few in the volunteers section of craigslist
I completely forgot about that. I remember at my school they were always looking for people to be apart of their research groups. 10-20 bucks for an hour or two sounds pretty good to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
If you are really good at computers and the like since you want to go into IT/ethical hacking... go on CL and in the gigs section people are always looking for people to fix their computers. If you undercut the price they are asking you'll likely be the person they will go to over someone who will charge more.

Instead of charging 50 dollars for something you could charge 20. why? because 20 is better than 0.

Use this money for food/shelter/transportation.

Also for storage, i've never used a storage facility before, but don't they usually offer like a first month free type of deal for them? or first month for a penny? i know i've seen them around here somewhere.
You know. That's a really good idea! Another thing that might be done is to combine that with Russian. What about offering your services on CL as a computer tutor for those who are native Russian speakers? There are certainly some emigrees who live in Russian neighborhoods who may want to learn how to effectively use their computer or the Internet, yet have difficulty that requires one-on-one tutoring, as perhaps if they are older, etc. You could even talk to a community center to see if you could offer a basic course on an introductory basis, even if it's voluntary, as it may help you to secure a position in the long run, but that would be beneficial once you had stable housing arranged.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
I don't have any advice to offer but I just want to wish you the best of luck. You seem like a good kid with a great head on your shoulders. Keep up with the positive attitude and things will turn around for you. I'm sending you positive thoughts and I hope you get on your feet soon.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I don't have any advice to offer but I just want to wish you the best of luck. You seem like a good kid with a great head on your shoulders. Keep up with the positive attitude and things will turn around for you. I'm sending you positive thoughts and I hope you get on your feet soon.
Yes. Sending positive thoughts & prayers too.

Also...what about that couch surfing site for some nights? CouchSurfing - Surf Go Travelling

I'll be watching this thread...really makes you think about your own life.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:15 PM

458 posts, read 616,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Enough with the military recommendations. Some folks find that akin to being imprisoned or worse and the OP has stated CLEARLY that he isn't interested in a career in the military fighting a Mideast War. After all the USSR tried that misadventure in Afhghanistan before... Recommending the military as the only alternative to poverty and unemployment shows the real depths to which this economy has sunk... When the Army is the only reasonable chance for an occupation, that's the time for a country to pack it in and go home.
I'm not going to derail this thread further because it's providing a great service to the OP. I do feel the need to respond to this, however. I'm glad to know what you think about my own decision to join, even though I'm from a wealthy background and have a prestigious 4-year degree. Many of my friends and family have done the same and loved it. They didn't have to. Nobody was suggesting that it was his only option and you're running amok with assumptions. But this is the USA and most Americans enthusiastically support our military, if not our politician's wars, and think it's a great option for a young man to pursue for any reason. If you don't like fighting, something like 95% of military personnel aren't in combat roles. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Double post

Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Ignore him. Kefir once told me that I couldn't have learned critical thinking skills in the military. I'll take my choice to join again any day of the week. I laugh at the idiots who paid for college and/or took lifelong loans, all for a job making less than I do. You don't have to be a service member, but knocking military service is real hypocritical when you live in the USA. I'm sure Kefir would have a grand ole' time living his lifestyle in a few of the nations our young men and women have died for over the last decade.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Hope this guy is doing ok...maybe he'll check in.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 AM

197 posts, read 895,294 times
Since you don't want to join the military have you considered the job corps. They have two locations in NYC one in Brooklyn and one in the Bronx. They provide career training in various fields, training for resume writing, job interviews, and offer educational courses.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:53 AM

197 posts, read 895,294 times
Also if you are bilingual there object some job opportunities that you can capitalize on. Such as translating or liaison work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City