Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

I live on the 4th floor of a walk up. We do a big food shopping once a month and just grin and bear it.
i have the greatest legs of all mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Fresh Direct.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM

33 posts, read 70,147 times
do you guys not have online grocers that service nyc ( and the boroughs)

Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Many grocery stores deliver. And I wouldn't call the groceries "rare". There are plenty real groceries plus many bodegas for a quick forgotten item.

And for those that can't bear it? They eat out / order in and use their oven for extra storage

Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Mine is definitely not a "grannny cart:" it has two 4 barrel carbs and a 3/4 race cam with flames painted on the sides.
It goes from zero to Costco in under 6 minutes...well, 30 minutes by M103.
I can see it now...Pimp My Cart.

The options are:

1. Granny Cart
2. Fresh Direct
3. Find a store that delivers (There are some you can order online and have everything delivered)
4. Forget cooking and order in all the time
5. Grin and bear it

Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM

393 posts, read 782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Mine is definitely not a "grannny cart:" it has two 4 barrel carbs and a 3/4 race cam with flames painted on the sides.
It goes from zero to Costco in under 6 minutes...well, 30 minutes by M103.
Haha sick ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
How are they a rarity? There are plenty of them. The problem is that most of them are bad.
For heavy stuff I use FreshDirect.
For everyday shopping Fairway is the best. If you have a baby and a big stroller you can put bags into the stroller.
Yeah, the biggest problem I have with grocery stores is that unless you get them delivered or don't mind going well out of your way you are stuck with the grocery store that "services" your area. It's like cable providers. You have to cross your fingers and hope that you don't get stuck with the crappy one because that's the closest thing to your building. Sometimes there is another choice just a few extra blocks away, but sometimes it's as crappy as the first one. It all depends.

Personally, I have my fiancee do all the shopping. I'm super beautiful, so I don't need to cook, go to the grocery store or carry laundry bags. That's for the homely girls.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Haha sick ride

Yeah, the biggest problem I have with grocery stores is that unless you get them delivered or don't mind going well out of your way you are stuck with the grocery store that "services" your area. It's like cable providers. You have to cross your fingers and hope that you don't get stuck with the crappy one because that's the closest thing to your building. Sometimes there is another choice just a few extra blocks away, but sometimes it's as crappy as the first one. It all depends.

Personally, I have my fiancee do all the shopping. I'm super beautiful, so I don't need to cook, go to the grocery store or carry laundry bags. That's for the homely girls.
I guess I must be homely then, since I do my own laundry and grocery shopping and cook for my man.

For those that hate lugging laundry, I found this works really well for it. It never occurred to me that I could probably use it for food shopping also, but I stick to the granny cart for it. Maybe this hamper will help someone with their lugging laundry upstairs issues:
The Container Store > Hamper with Wheels

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM

110 posts, read 200,581 times
Peapod.com is cheaper than Fresh Direct. I have $100 worth of groceries delivered every two weeks. Delivery fee is $10, and tip to delivery boy is $5.

Beats lugging tons of groceries from the Morton Williams 5 blocks away.

Once in a while I'll have Trader Joe's deliver. You have to go the store and pick out the items you want, and then tell them a time to deliver it. One downside is that they won't deliver frozen items.

There's also MaxDelivery.com, but they are super expensive and not worth it unless you need something quick. They deliver within the hour.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
I have Shoprite by me and I use Shoprite from home and it's the best thing ever. They are super nice and quick, and it's only $10 to deliver....what it would cost me for a cab home.

I haven't been to the grocery store since February of this year.

Peapod is good too but they don't have the same selection/prices that Shoprite does.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM

55 posts, read 127,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowclop View Post
Peapod.com is cheaper than Fresh Direct.
Thank you for that info! My problem with FD is price. This should help.

To the OP: granny cart, FreshDirect (or equiv), grocery delivery, cab/car service, or buying stuff every couple of days instead of weekly. It's not like anyone has tons of storage space anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City