Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM

108 posts, read 209,726 times

Advertisements

Parenting and wannabe-gangster lifestyle.

Period. End of story.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
I'm not the one posting the stats, so I shouldn't have to look up anything. People can't just post gibberish and expect to be believed.
It is all in the census. Posters are posting gibberish all over this thread, and others are reading it and believing it, and I don't see any links to anything substantiating that gibberish.

I do realize that some people cannot calculate statistical information, or may not really understand my post. But some can, and some of them that can, need encouragement in the face of all the negativity, They will understand my post, and they can and will do the research, and not believe the gibberish on this thread. That is what counts.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:50 AM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Indeed it is a major factor.
Do offer a definition of "successful businessman" and how this mitigates the stupidity and destructiveness of "gangsta culture."
Certainly, he is being circulated and marketed very aggressively.

It is never an excuse. It is a fact of life.
A list of Jay-Z's business ventures is here. He also owned part of the Brooklyn Nets until recently.

I mentioned Jay-Z specifically because he has come a long way from his hard-scrabble background when he was living in the projects and he used to deal drugs. He doesn't even rap that much anymore. So, someone could look to him as a role model, as he shows that maybe there is a life beyond a depressing one in the projects and/or having to deal drugs.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM

268 posts, read 340,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
It is all in the census. Posters are posting gibberish all over this thread, and others are reading it and believing it, and I don't see any links to anything substantiating that gibberish.

I do realize that some people cannot calculate statistical information, or may not really understand my post. But some can, and some of them that can, need encouragement in the face of all the negativity, They will understand my post, and they can and will do the research, and not believe the gibberish on this thread. That is what counts.
I don't see why it would be so complicated to post the links after that long post, but as you wish. I still say that even if those numbers are credible (the census data isn't exactly written in stone either), then their graduation rates should reflect higher employment numbers, but they don't. I wonder why that is... Don't you find that odd?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM

108 posts, read 209,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
A list of Jay-Z's business ventures is here. He also owned part of the Brooklyn Nets until recently.

I mentioned Jay-Z specifically because he has come a long way from his hard-scrabble background when he was living in the projects and he used to deal drugs. He doesn't even rap that much anymore. So, someone could look to him as a role model, as he shows that maybe there is a life beyond a depressing one in the projects and/or having to deal drugs.

I disagree. All he shows kids is that making rap music has a .000000000001% Of making you successful. That's not what we should be instilling in our kids. They need to know that ACADEMICS and HARD WORK is what makes success. And he is NO "businessman." Big deal, he threw some money at the Nets as an investment. These are not typically attainable goals fornthe majority of kids in this country. Kids need to learn trades and about working hard.

BUT IT ALL STARTS AT HOME. YOU MUST INSTILL MORALITY AND ETHICS IN YOUR CHILDREN.

When you only have one parent at home, dysfunctional home life, or you live in a group home, you have a disadvantage of being successful, sadly.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
I disagree. All he shows kids is that making rap music has a .000000000001% Of making you successful. That's not what we should be instilling in our kids. They need to know that ACADEMICS and HARD WORK is what makes success. And he is NO "businessman." Big deal, he threw some money at the Nets as an investment. These are not typically attainable goals fornthe majority of kids in this country. Kids need to learn trades and about working hard.

BUT IT ALL STARTS AT HOME. YOU MUST INSTILL MORALITY AND ETHICS IN YOUR CHILDREN.

When you only have one parent at home, dysfunctional home life, or you live in a group home, you have a disadvantage of being successful, sadly.
Academics and Hard work are by no means a guarantee of success. That's utter nonsense.

Many of the disgruntled youth in OWS had more than one degree. Yet if academics just automatically brought success, they wouldn't have even needed to protests. Academics are by far overrated.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
I don't see why it would be so complicated to post the links after that long post, but as you wish. I still say that even if those numbers are credible (the census data isn't exactly written in stone either), then their graduation rates should reflect higher employment numbers, but they don't. I wonder why that is... Don't you find that odd?

No it is not odd that the graduation rates DO reflect the high unemployment rates. I was showing the relativity of the actual percentages of college students to actual percentage of the population.

Lets look at national unemployment. it is about 6.6% for all Civilian Americans (which I will just refer to as Americans) the month of July. The Black male unemployment rate is 12.5%.

88% percent of all HS seniors graduated in 2012. 57% went on to college. 47% of Black American male seniors graduated from HS. That is less than half. They make up 5.5% of all college students

The Black male unemployment rate is 12.5% this is almost double the national employment rate. The HS graduation rate of Black males is less than half of all Americans. So there is a definite correlation.

The Black male unemployment rate has gone down in the past decade with the increase in high school graduation rates of about 10%. A definite correlation.

Asian Americans have the highest percentage HS graduation, undergrad and graduate school, graduates (Is that correctly stated?). They have the lowest unemployment rate 5.7%. That is also a definite correlation.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Academics and Hard work are by no means a guarantee of success. That's utter nonsense.

Many of the disgruntled youth in OWS had more than one degree. Yet if academics just automatically brought success, they wouldn't have even needed to protests. Academics are by far overrated.
Academics are not overrated. But you have to study something that pays. Plus you have to develop personality, speech, and manners. As well as values and ethics. None of these can be underrated especially when you are not born with a silver spoon.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
I disagree. All he shows kids is that making rap music has a .000000000001% Of making you successful. That's not what we should be instilling in our kids. They need to know that ACADEMICS and HARD WORK is what makes success.
My point was that the Jay-Z of today (as an entertainer) is not promoting the "gangster culture"; he is doing positive things in his life.

Quote:
And he is NO "businessman." Big deal, he threw some money at the Nets as an investment.
Merriam Webster says: Definition of BUSINESSMAN : a man who transacts business; especially : a business executive. An investment is a business transaction. It sounds the definition applies to Jay-Z.

Quote:
These are not typically attainable goals fornthe majority of kids in this country. Kids need to learn trades and about working hard.
Looking at the larger picture, it is about working hard and not taking the easy way out. My point wasn't to look at Jay-Z as a role model with the hopes of becoming a Def Jam executive, and marrying one of the hottest entertainers in the industry.

Quote:

I don't disagree that it starts at home. However, again, using Jay-Z as an example, it is possible to rise above coming from that disadvantaged background.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Academics are not overrated. But you have to study something that pays.
Both statements have some element of truth to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City