Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM

226 posts, read 1,098,149 times

Advertisements

Harlem resident, from the responses to a lot of the topics,I can say we are definitely not on the same page. Most of your comments are from a closed minded one sided point of view,however I was talking to sobroguy,not you. I already know your ready to attack me back for this post,however I don't care. i said what I said because I know what I know. Please do not let my user name fool you for one bit. Respond to me all you want,I will not engage any further with you. You enjoy your night

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Ask yourself this question. If teh "systemj" wants black/latino kids to fail why do so mnay of us embrace this with enthusiasm by doing EXACTLY what the system wants us to do.

The schools are bad and many do not care. Does this mean that the kids and their parents shouldnt care either? Who loses?"

Not the "system". After all if many black/brown kids dont study thats just fewer kids that their upper middle class white/black/brown kids will have to compete against. And I use the upper middle class black/brown because many from this category formulate excuses for poor kids that they will NEVER tolerate with THEIR own.

EVERY DAY I say this.
I agree with your first sentence in particular.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

+ Af For example, West African immigrants are Black and they generally do not face lower rates of education or other socioeconomic issues.

Tell you what. At college levels I see many 2nde generation Nigerian kids excelling. Dont see manhy Malian or Senegalese. There are clear disparities in NYC between migrants from Anglophone and Francophone Africa.

Is it not as inaccurate to ignore class WITHIN various immigrant groups rather than painting all AAs as losers and all West Africans as success stories. Clearly a Nigerian whose mother is a nurse and father is an engineer will do better than a kid whose mother cleans offices and lives in NYCHA and is functionally illterate.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
EVERY DAY I say this.
I agree with your first sentence in particular.

Yep. I do agree with an analysis of past racism (and to some degree current racism) and poverty as an explanation. Given these facts I will expect kids from AA and P_R families, on averge to underperform kids from South Asian households.

What I will NOT accept is that it is an excuse for not trying.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My parents' house was full of books. They read to me when I was little, bought me books as presents when I was older. They kept asked about my schoolwork, tabs on my homework, and expected reasonably good grades.

Do you think that the parents of the kids on Jersey Shore read to their kids?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Do you think that the parents of the kids on Jersey Shore read to their kids?
The difference is that they are not claiming that "conspiracies" are preventing them from obtaining educations or preventing them from reading books.

It is a good comparison actually and could be very telling.

For some reason, people do not understand that all significant revolutions were begun by educated people.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM

210 posts, read 565,846 times
Why are all Latin Americans grouped together? You have pretty high rates among Colombian, Peruvian, Cuban, Chilean, Argentine, etc and way lower ones among mexicans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, etc.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
Why are all Latin Americans grouped together? You have pretty high rates among Colombian, Peruvian, Cuban, Chilean, Argentine, etc and way lower ones among mexicans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, etc.
Are there any stats for this?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM

210 posts, read 565,846 times
The 10 Largest Hispanic Origin Groups: Characteristics, Rankings, Top Counties | Pew Hispanic Center

Click on The profiles of the different groups and it gives college education rates, income, etc. Although this doesn't mention high school dropout rates, it does go to show that certain Hispanic groups bring down the Hispanic average.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
The 10 Largest Hispanic Origin Groups: Characteristics, Rankings, Top Counties | Pew Hispanic Center

Click on The profiles of the different groups and it gives college education rates, income, etc. Although this doesn't mention high school dropout rates, it does go to show that certain Hispanic groups bring down the Hispanic average.
Why would people find that surprising ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City