Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times

Advertisements

Bigjake here are my comments:

It isn't about blame, it is about truth. When women were fighting for equality and the right to vote, they were speaking the truth..not blaming. This is no different. You can call it blaming, whining, or whatever negative connotation you choose, the reality is simply truth.

And the man IS actually holding them down, expressly by policy. If you look at stop & frisk numbers, it is pretty clear that it not only targets a certain segment of the population, but is also grossly ineffective and sums to a 5% arrest rate? Who would continue such an obviously failed policy? Someone that is doing so purposely.

As for the lovely suburbs, if you believe the policing in the suburbs is the same as the policing in NYC, it is you who has not spent enough time in the suburbs.

As for your last comment, we will agree to disagree. In the suburbs, as in the city, there is white priviledge and they are more likely not to get arrested for just about anything versus the browns/blacks in the city. I should know, as I have benefited first hand from that priviledge, and I see it practiced day in, day out, on both sides. There is no doubt kids everywhere get busted for all sorts of things, but it's about who is getting busted disproportionately more, and why. It is a matter of policy in NYC, not so in the suburbs (in general).

Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM

71 posts, read 152,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice501 View Post
The rap culture that glorifies gang banger thug life criminal lifestyle which is made out to enable you to drive an S class and wear LV sneakers. So when there are no values taught at home those values instead come from the garbage rap "music" and the ass clowns who perform it. And so instead of graduating high school and going to college these kids would rather drop out and gang bang/sell drugs.
Yes, rap music is the worst thing of all time the exclusively affects blacks and latinos into sagging their pants and dropping out of schools.

Let's just ignore that the neighborhoods are broken, the families are broken and the schools could care less.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

It isn't about blame, it is about truth. When women were fighting for equality and the right to vote, they were speaking the truth..not blaming. This is no different. You can call it blaming, whining, or whatever negative connotation you choose, the reality is simply truth.

And the man IS actually holding them down, expressly by policy. If you look at stop & frisk numbers, it is pretty clear that it not only targets a certain segment of the population, but is also grossly ineffective and sums to a 5% arrest rate? Who would continue such an obviously failed policy? Someone that is doing so purposely.

As for the lovely suburbs, if you believe the policing in the suburbs is the same as the policing in NYC, it is you who has not spent enough time in the suburbs.

As for your last comment, we will agree to disagree. In the suburbs, as in the city, there is white priviledge and they are more likely not to get arrested for just about anything versus the browns/blacks in the city. I should know, as I have benefited first hand from that priviledge, and I see it practiced day in, day out, on both sides. There is no doubt kids everywhere get busted for all sorts of things, but it's about who is getting busted disproportionately more, and why. It is a matter of policy in NYC, not so in the suburbs (in general).
The police on LI do not want to be woken up from napping in their cars behind the local firehouse for anything as TRIVIAL as "kids running amok" or "kids smoking pot" or "kids drinking." It is only advisable to call the police on LI if there is ACTUAL BLOOD (like a car accident or serious assault) or if SOMEONE STOLE SOMETHING FROM YOU AND YOU SAW THEM DO IT (they do not want to have to find out who did it, you should be a witness). I also hate to disappoint you, but they are not more zealous if the misbehaving kids happen to be minorities ... as long as they're local. However, if anyone from the CITY is running amok, even in the slightest, they will have the helicopters and dogs out 1-2-3 to spend $25K in a night's worth of OT and special equipment usage to arrest a guy FROM THE CITY who stole a pocketbook with $8 in it.

PS: Another thing, in Nassau County they are quick to shoot first and ask questions later ... with no special consideration for the white race. We have had several cases like that, including police officers shooting other police officers. All fatal shootings.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

The problem is not that you are entirely wrong, but that this focus allows few solutions.
At community meetings, tutoring programs, etc., it actually creates insurmountable barriers to solutions because it gives people a set of excuses.

Many times I have listened to a (single) parent describe the oppressive culture that has prevented her son from achieving the Rhodes scholar status to which he is clearly entitled. Yet, there he stands, pants around his knees. No, he has not applied for anything. Yes, he missed 150 days of school last year, and when present, he assaulted another child. Sure, he trashed the lobby of that building while smoking marijuana before school. Above all, he cannot form a single grammatically correct sentence. In other words, he takes after his mother ! That's where he learned these things.

My point is, currently, as these children become adolescents and then young adults, while we talk on and on about our oppressive society and "the man," as this child finally shoots someone who "disrespected" him, our time would be far better spent solving or at least addressing a few of the practical challenges I mentioned above. Because then he might achieve some success.

This is true of every person. You can spend untold sums and many hours with a therapist trying to figure out why you simply cannot write that book or hold down a job. Or, you can simply figure out a simple plan of steps and follow through, perhaps working out the problems on the way. We need to help these children find solutions now. And reminding them that everything is against them 24/7 is not a part of this solution.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM

226 posts, read 1,098,635 times
Sobroguy, I read your comments when it comes to some of these types of topics. I must say that you are clearly woke and completely understand what is going on. A lot of people have no idea what's really happening,they can not smell the invisible gas known as conspiracy. Eventually they will wake up, the stink is really starting to wreak!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
Sobroguy, I read your comments when it comes to some of these types of topics. I must say that you are clearly woke and completely understand what is going on. A lot of people have no idea what's really happening,they can not smell the invisible gas known as conspiracy. Eventually they will wake up, the stink is really starting to wreak!!!

Luckily the conspiracies did not fatally stop my significant other or me, and they will not stop our children.

Perhaps the fact that each of us worked to achieve a basic grasp of spelling and grammar gave us a level of immunity from the conspiracies.

Are you providing your children with that benefit ?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,081,169 times
It's hard to even tell who is being serious, and not, in this conversation.

OKay, what I really want to chime in though-

If we're not going to ever make changes in how we instruct children of Black and Latino households.
Why do we insist on continually using demographics in our data sets we collect?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
IMO, that's the problem. A good majority of black and latinos kids only see themselves as a professional player, a hip/hop artist, or take the path of thug. A lot of kids shoot themselves in the foot by embracing the whole thug/hip hop culture. This culture does not value education.

Do you know this for a fact? I once went to one of teh WORST high schools in the Bronx to speak (the role model thing). I asked each kid what they wanted to do. NONE mentioned careers in sports or entertainment. Most were blue collar or other para professional occupations.

So people need to stop repeating things as fact when they do not have the true facts.

Also many white males like hiphop, and in fact the negative turn in hip hop about 20 years ago was in response to white kids who favored the gangsta image as part of their adolescent rebellion.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarValBoi View Post
Yes, rap music is the worst thing of all time the exclusively affects blacks and latinos into sagging their pants and dropping out of schools.

Let's just ignore that the neighborhoods are broken, the families are broken and the schools could care less.
Of course people think that grunge and heavy metal and other degraded rock with its massive endorsement of drug abuse is good for white kids.

Do they know that young white males now have the HIGHESt levels of substance abuse among young people? Hard drugs, pills, binge drinking. If it is done by some one under 30 y/o its most likely a white male.

Knowing this ask how often are young white males frisked for carrying drugs.

Now about failing schools. There are many examples of schools whicdh succeeded in inner cities. Has the DOE attempted to replicate what works in one place in other places. Or are they too busy playing gamkes with numbers in the isolated offics in NYC?

It is a fact that many families are dysfunctional. It is a fact that many kids from these families will fail as a result. What is NOT acceptable is for the school system to not attempt to address this issue the best they are able to.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
they can not smell the invisible gas known as conspiracy. Eventually they will wake up, the stink is really starting to wreak!!!
Ask yourself this question. If teh "systemj" wants black/latino kids to fail why do so mnay of us embrace this with enthusiasm by doing EXACTLY what the system wants us to do.

The schools are bad and many do not care. Does this mean that the kids and their parents shouldnt care either? Who loses?"

Not the "system". After all if many black/brown kids dont study thats just fewer kids that their upper middle class white/black/brown kids will have to compete against. And I use the upper middle class black/brown because many from this category formulate excuses for poor kids that they will NEVER tolerate with THEIR own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City