Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times

Advertisements

NY education, business leaders tackling skills gap | Crain's New York Business

This is what people shoulod be implementing if they want to eradicate poverty. We have a shortage of skilled workers because our "wonderful" public educational system doesnt prepare people for what is available. We love all these pilot prjectys, but yert never seem to think that there needs to be system wide implementation. A ghetto kid might envisage himself as a skilled blue collar worker. He is too smart to think that being a doctor, lawyer or investment banker is a strong possibility, given his rudimentary academic skills.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
I would think BXguyanese was Dominican based solely on appearance, but appearance doesn't mean much to me..just a genetic roll of the dice.

I am glad though that this discussion was relatively unscathed from the usual race-bashing and had some very interesting points.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am glad though that this discussion was relatively unscathed from the usual race-bashing...
Lol dude you're one of the biggest culprits I have ever come across on any forum. It's just that yours is towards non-hispanic whites. I guess that's cool though, you're right...

Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM

I like that you specifically said "non-hispanic whites"...I guess you agree that hispanics can be whites also, but they are not really white, are they?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I like that you specifically said "non-hispanic whites"...I guess you agree that hispanics can be whites also, but they are not really white, are they?

Some hispanics have whiter skin than other hispanics. Indeed. I've never claimed otherwise. And I said that for your benefit because I know you'd start foaming at the mouth. Saying "whites" is simply an easier way of saying caucasians. Caucasians meaning "ethnic whites" and WASPS in the way that gets you so riled up. You know goddamn well what "white people" means in this country...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM

I am not talking about whiter skin..I am simply saying white. So some Hispanics cannot be categorized as white, or ethnic whites or whatever definition used in this country...is that what you are saying?

There isn't necessarily a right answer, except that we know Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity (you can be of any race). So theoretically, Hispanics can be white (in every sense of the word in this country or any other), black, or asian, or most often some combination of 2 or all of the above.

The actual definition of "white" in this country keeps changing, and the bar keeps getting lower and lower..so there is no real definition of "white" here, other than what groups we currently feel qualify for membership these days. Apparently some Hispanics are being invited to the party.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about whiter skin..I am simply saying white. So some Hispanics cannot be categorized as white, or ethnic whites or whatever definition used in this country...is that correct?

We've gone over this before and I'm not gonna derail this thread, so figure it out for yourself. I simply wanted to point out that you made a comment about how happy you are that this hasn't been about race bashing, when in fact you are arguably the biggest culprit when it comes to non-hispanic whites. Ok, maybe that does derail things, but it annoys me to see you spew nonsense like that.

Carry on folks...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Some hispanics have whiter skin than other hispanics. Indeed. I've never claimed otherwise. And I said that for your benefit because I know you'd start foaming at the mouth. Saying "whites" is simply an easier way of saying caucasians. Caucasians meaning "ethnic whites" and WASPS in the way that gets you so riled up. You know goddamn well what "white people" means in this country...

You need to admit that non Hispanics whites in the past, and to a lesser degree even now, just have not been very nice to non whites general, and blacks (regardless of their ethnic background) and Native Americans in particular.

Not to say all of you. But sufficient numbers to generate a skepticism from blacks in particular towards you.

Dont care whether you wish to accept this or not, but its the truth.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
this hasn't been about race bashing, when in fact you are arguably the biggest culprit when it comes to non-hispanic whites.
Carry on folks...

Is it race bashing to talk about the awful treatment of blacks and native Americans, especially before 1965?

I dont think so. You are in deep denial if you think so.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
many black and hispanic guys in the city don't want to work
like slaves for the rest of their lives like you guys. maybe that's
why it's so hard for them to learn. they don't like learning what
you're dishing out obviously. they don't believe any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City